E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ANOTHER PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this is my second post today... forgot ANOTHER PROBLEM.. Really, the car is very nice looking, the brand is prestigious, but it brings one problem after another.. been new to the brand and for all the money I payed to finally get it.. is very dissapointing!.
Here´s the thing... The key (comfort key, if not mistaken) is not responding when i try to lock/unlock the car or windows. I have to be right in front of the car to be able to do so, sometimes even being in front of the car doesn´t really matter as it takes some tries to finally unlock the doors. When opening the windows, i have to stand next to the car, and even then, while still pressing the button, the windows just stop comming down, have to press the button again, and again to regain control.
I´ve read the manual, and according to this, the key has an incorporated self charging battery.... the key is completely sealed so i cannot open it. I drive my car everyday for at least 40 min. 3 times a day, so ir this cannot really be a discharged battery.
Basically I cannot open/lock/unlock/close car/windows if not being closer than 3 ft. from it.
Any ideas will be appreciated,
Thanks,
Old 02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by MrEJW
Well, this is my second post today... forgot ANOTHER PROBLEM.. Really, the car is very nice looking, the brand is prestigious, but it brings one problem after another.. been new to the brand and for all the money I payed to finally get it.. is very dissapointing!.
Here´s the thing... The key (comfort key, if not mistaken) is not responding when i try to lock/unlock the car or windows. I have to be right in front of the car to be able to do so, sometimes even being in front of the car doesn´t really matter as it takes some tries to finally unlock the doors. When opening the windows, i have to stand next to the car, and even then, while still pressing the button, the windows just stop comming down, have to press the button again, and again to regain control.
I´ve read the manual, and according to this, the key has an incorporated self charging battery.... the key is completely sealed so i cannot open it. I drive my car everyday for at least 40 min. 3 times a day, so ir this cannot really be a discharged battery.
Basically I cannot open/lock/unlock/close car/windows if not being closer than 3 ft. from it.
Any ideas will be appreciated,
Thanks,

Just clearing you up on the comfort access thing. You don't have Comfort Access if you have a sealed key that can not be opened.

The best ideas from here will be to first share what troubleshooting you have tried. Did you try another key? Things like that. It is usually best to answer the obvious stuff first because some us just won't bother with a thread missing such obvious information.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Just clearing you up on the comfort access thing. You don't have Comfort Access if you have a sealed key that can not be opened.

The best ideas from here will be to first share what troubleshooting you have tried. Did you try another key? Things like that. It is usually best to answer the obvious stuff first because some us just won't bother with a thread missing such obvious information.
Yep... right... Yes the other key is the same.. and thought I had comfor access... having read the manual again, true.. comfort key is when you CAN change the battery, but it appears as comfort to be able to open/close the windows with the key.. thus my confussion.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by MrEJW
Yep... right... Yes the other key is the same.. and thought I had comfor access... having read the manual again, true.. comfort key is when you CAN change the battery, but it appears as comfort to be able to open/close the windows with the key.. thus my confussion.

I think the key reception is served from something called the Diversity Antenna and others have reported solving this poblem by replacing the amplifier for that. There is a DIY here for it so it is something you can do if you are out of warranty. It is located under the edge of the headliner near the back window.

Check out this DIY and see if you think it applies
https://5series.net/forums/topic/890...1#entry1051687
Old 02-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Members

Excellent link.. now i know what the problem seems to be and what to do!
Thanks!