E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another cold start rough idle thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 11:19 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: '07 E60 520d 6MT M47 130k miles, '08 E60 525i 6MT N53 85k miles
Default Another cold start rough idle thread

Hi all,
I have a 2008 525i with rough idle on startup, it seems pretty common on a n53 direct injection engine. (I kinda wish I got a n52 haha).

I have been reading loads of threads on this problem and think I have leaky injector(s). I get really bad rough idle on cold start like the engine is going to stall. If I give it some revs then restart instantly there is no rough idle whatsoever. Would these symptoms likely be leaky injectors? I initially thought it might be the fuel pump but it doesn't make sense as an instant restart doesn't give the same issue. I appreciate any help with this, thanks.

edit: I have had this problem since I got the car a few months ago.

Last edited by dan_a; 08-20-2022 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

You could have a vacuum leak.
The following users liked this post:
dan_a (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 01:45 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by donpb
You could have a vacuum leak.
Do you have to get under the car to fix that? Im not able to do work underneath the car I dont have anywhere to do it safely.
Old 08-20-2022, 01:51 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
If its a vacuum leak it will idle rough on cold start then normal once the car is at regular temp. Also, listen for a whistling sound if its a vacuum leak.
A forum member posted this somewhere. If it is temperature related I dont think I ran the engine long enough to get up to temperature. I turn on with rough idle, give some revs for about 30 seconds (smell petrol). Restart straight away and no rough idle.

Old 08-20-2022, 02:09 PM
New Members

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

Do you have to crank the engine for a while for it to start, or does it start right up on the first attempt?
dan_a (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 03:43 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by habbyguy
Do you have to crank the engine for a while for it to start, or does it start right up on the first attempt?
Im not 100% sure. I will double check in the morning and record the issue.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:53 AM
New Members

Yes it takes a few cranks to start.

Its a bit of a pain for me to make a video as I don't use a smartphone. For anyone interested BMW Kingston dosent have injectors in stock and they are on backorder until the end of the year. Also why does your car never feel the same when someone moves your seat, I can never get it back how it was.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:45 AM
New Members

If you have to crank the engine for a while, I'd suspect a leaky injector. That will bleed your fuel system pressure down (into one cylinder, which isn't good for that cylinder), and your fuel pump will have to go through a few priming cycles to get the fuel pressure up enough to start the car. And then it idles rough because that one cylinder / spark plug is flooded with all that extra gas.

To verify this is what's happening, try turning the car to run without engaging the starter, then off, then back on again - for a few (4-5) cycles. This should build up the fuel pressure, and the engine should start as soon as you engage the starter.

If you're getting a misfire OBD code (P030X, with "X" being the cylinder number) then that's probably the bad injector. Otherwise, you might just spin the motor over for a second or two after it sits overnight, and pull the plugs to see which is drenched. If you can't find an injector, I'd try a used one (making sure that all the part numbers match exactly). The NA cars have much cheaper, simpler injectors than the turbo cars.
dan_a (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 09:59 AM
New Members

If you have to crank the engine for a while, I'd suspect a leaky injector. That will bleed your fuel system pressure down (into one cylinder, which isn't good for that cylinder), and your fuel pump will have to go through a few priming cycles to get the fuel pressure up enough to start the car. And then it idles rough because that one cylinder / spark plug is flooded with all that extra gas.

To verify this is what's happening, try turning the car to run without engaging the starter, then off, then back on again - for a few (4-5) cycles. This should build up the fuel pressure, and the engine should start as soon as you engage the starter.

If you're getting a misfire OBD code (P030X, with "X" being the cylinder number) then that's probably the bad injector. Otherwise, you might just spin the motor over for a second or two after it sits overnight, and pull the plugs to see which is drenched. If you can't find an injector, I'd try a used one (making sure that all the part numbers match exactly). The NA cars have much cheaper, simpler injectors than the turbo cars.
Thanks for the advice. I will try your mechanical solution to the problem because I am not great with tech. I was considering getting a few used ones on eBay but will check what index I have first and match them. I cant wait until this is fixed then I can fully enjoy my new car after sinking tons of money into it. At least the injectors I can do myself.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:32 AM
New Members

The odds are that injectors you get from eBay will be fine (just check the reviews on the vendor to make sure they have a good reputation - no doubt better than the local BMW stealership). ;-)

Again, the normally aspirated engine injectors are a whole lot easier / cheaper than the turbo engine injectors. I was easily able to test mine still connected to the rail by passing 12 volts through them one at a time, using only residual pressure in the fuel system (short squirts, of course). You might be able to do the same, AND see which of them is leaking (should be obvious if it leaks down overnight). Just pull the rail and injectors and if necessary put a shop paper towel under the injector tips to see where the spot forms.
dan_a (08-31-2022)

Quick Reply: Another cold start rough idle thread