E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Angel eyes don't work

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 02:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i confrim that my orange lights stopped working after i update software to 16.xx.
I think we must wait another software which can fix this problem. Right?
Old 06-11-2005, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If this new software causes the amber lighting at the front of the car to not illuminate, the car is in violation of US DOT regulations and most likely state regulations as well.

If this is something BMW is aware of, I'm surprised they didn't pull the software from the dealers and recall any cars that were upgraded...
Old 06-11-2005, 06:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 11 2005, 06:58 AM
If this new software causes the amber lighting at the front of the car to not illuminate, the car is in violation of US DOT regulations and most likely state regulations as well.

If this is something BMW is aware of, I'm surprised they didn't pull the software from the dealers and recall any cars that were upgraded...
[snapback]138520[/snapback]

It it stops the amber lighting working what other problems might there be with the car after the upgrade. Do BMW not fully validate their software when a new release is issued - what happens if a safety critical function is affected? This is disgraceful - so much for quality control!
Old 06-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by whihr' date='Jun 11 2005, 02:50 PM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Jun 11 2005, 06:58 AM']If this new software causes the amber lighting at the front of the car to not illuminate, the car is in violation of US DOT regulations and most likely state regulations as well.

[snapback]138520[/snapback]

It it stops the amber lighting working what other problems might there be with the car after the upgrade. Do BMW not fully validate their software when a new release is issued - what happens if a safety critical function is affected? This is disgraceful - so much for quality control!
[snapback]138533[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just checked mine - upgraded from 13.xx to 16.2 few days a go. All lights work fine on mine - pheewww.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Very annoying, indeed. What happens the day BMW forgets to enable e.g. an airbag or seatbelt pre-tensioners, if those are also controlled by software?
Old 06-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' date='Jun 11 2005, 10:07 AM
I can confirm that my orange LEDs stopped working when upgraded to 17.
I have just spoken to my service department who are always most helpful.
They looked this up on the system & confirmed that BMW are aware of this issue, but there is no fix yet. The bullitin advised that they should not to attempt to fix the problem, until they are advised of the resolution details from BMW. Sounds like another software upgrade will be needed!. They advised me to call back in a few weeks, by which time they may know more ( as only a cosmetic problem ).
[snapback]138506[/snapback]
So its a known issue, as I suspected, but no solving service buletin exists at this time.

Reading this thread posts, it's easy to note that this is not a version issue alone, as there are reports of working and non-working leds for both 16.xx and 17.xx.

Probably a combination of control module AND CIP version.

But the whole subject does raise the old discussion of s/w vs h/w control.

Even though I generally favour the former (and the later usually depends on some form of low level s/w) I can't figure a good reason for having the LED's under s/w control.

Maybe this one: most LED's can have it's colour changed according to the input voltage/current, so probably the amber colour is a specific value for some variable stored in one of the eprom's.

I can imagine a combination of a car tunner and hacker changing it's LED's colour to pink or green
Old 06-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by seakat' date='Jun 11 2005, 01:07 PM
Even though I generally favour the former (and the later usually depends on some form of low level s/w) I can't figure a good reason for having the LED's under s/w control.

Maybe this one: most LED's can have it's colour changed according to the input voltage/current, so probably the amber colour is a specific value for some variable stored in one of the eprom's.

I can imagine a combination of a car tunner and hacker changing it's LED's colour to pink or green?
[snapback]138554[/snapback]
Just about everything is software controlled on BMW's these days -- it has nothing to do with LED color. Instead of miles of wiring harnesses, relays, etc., I think circuits are connected to a bus system. Each device on the bus is addressable via software so they don't need to wire a light to a relay or switch. They simply wire the switch to the bus and the bulb to the bus. Then, the software logic says something like "if switch A22 is depressed (when other optional conditions are true) then turn on light G57" which reduces the complexity of the "hardware" but obviously increases the complexity of the software. The benefit of software control outweigh the drawbacks and it allows changes to be made at any time without retooling or modifying major components...
Old 06-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

It has to be a combination of somthing... since not all of us who updgraded found them not to work. Weird.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 11 2005, 05:19 PM
[quote name='seakat' date='Jun 11 2005, 01:07 PM']Even though I generally favour the former (and the later usually depends on some form of low level s/w) I can't figure a good reason for having the LED's under s/w control.

I can imagine a combination of a car tunner and hacker changing it's LED's colour to pink or green?
[snapback]138554[/snapback]
Just about everything is software controlled on BMW's these days -- it has nothing to do with LED color. Instead of miles of wiring harnesses, relays, etc., I think circuits are connected to a bus system. Each device on the bus is addressable via software so they don't need to wire a light to a relay or switch. They simply wire the switch to the bus and the bulb to the bus. Then, the software logic says something like "if switch A22 is depressed (when other optional conditions are true) then turn on light G57" which reduces the complexity of the "hardware" but obviously increases the complexity of the software. The benefit of software control outweigh the drawbacks and it allows changes to be made at any time without retooling or modifying major components...
[snapback]138556[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree with you Rudy.

But the issue of increased s/w dominance on cars has its thin ice areas, and BMW is (in)famous for boldly walking through them, mainly to achieve technological leadership (and good sales figures).

Lets hope the ice doesn't crack, although I must admit I choose to accept (and follow) this path long ago, otherwise I would not be driving an E61, and I still think the overall result is highly positive.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Yup. One thing that's important to note -- I think the E39 used similar "addressable" components connected to a bus architecture. It probably wasn't as extensive as the E60 but it's been around longer than people might think. The concept of a small bug in the software causing an LED not to illuminate under some unique combination of circumstances doesn't surprise me the least.

I would only be surprised if this type of thing happened on a Japanese car...

Quick Reply: Angel eyes don't work