E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Angel Eye wiring peeling apart.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I used electrical tape, and some liquid electrical tape to fix my crumbled sheathing in the headlights.

This issue is present on ALL wiring of the car, not just the headlights. The materials they used simply do not last. This fact has pushed forward my timetable for buying a new car, since I want to get rid of my E60 now before more wires crumble and the car starts having major problems.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:57 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Originally Posted by tonyb635
What evidence is there that says this is actually recycled material used instead of inferior crap material? Just hope you don't buy a car with a Chinese wire harness. We had a four wheeler and it was dried out similar to this.
I was told by several Mercedes mechanics that it was recycled materials and that the replacement harness was virgin material. Now the landfills have twice as many wiring harnesses lying in them, and since MB and BMW continue on this "green path", the landfills will continue to fill with discarded wiring harnesses, vinyl interior pieces/buttons, rubber weatherstripping, etc.

I was unaware that BMW had the same cancer as MB. My wiring looks good but the car spent its life in a garage by day and night. I suspect to see a rapid decline in the rubber/wiring/vinyl now that it spends time outside during the day.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Ok, well you can't believe everything a mechanic tells you no matter what dealer they are at. First of all they don't have access to drawings, specifications, testing requirements etc.. More than likely this was just their opinion and rightly so seeing the looks of that harness. But it still doesn't take away all failure possibilities like the mods people do to their cars etc to personalize. BMW even put a warning sticker in the windshield advising not to you such devices as radar detectors. it's not because they don't want you speeding, it's the unknown effect on the electrical system etc due to the unlimited amount and type. I actually tapped into my rear console power outlet to bring power into the console armrest. I damaged a clip and while the car was getting serviced had the deal se if they could locate a new one for me. They freaked out because of what I did. But can you imagine all of the other mods going on that has no testing behind it? Maybe the extra draw heats the wire a little more, don't know. What I do know is the angel eye wire issue is caused by heat build up in the headlight even with a stock bulb. My guess if we are adding xenons and high power bulbs to get the White effect like I also have done we are only accelerating the crumbling effect. I had a small spot on mine last year and I will remove the cover and have another look to see if it's still the same. I'm not sure what to expect here... Also, keep in mind, that if BMW was using such recycled wire harness we would see this same condition throughout the car. I know I don't, and I assume others don't as well. It seems to be concentrated in the headlight area. This tells me the wire construction should have been beefed up in this area. I'm curious as to what the dealers are saying if someone points this out to them. Hopefully anyone taking their car in to get this looked at has STOCK recommended bulbs in their car. I imagine if one went in with LED, GP Thunders or any other type of aftermarket bulb they would probably just laugh you off their property. I guess my point here is the mechanic has an opinion like we all do and if you asked him what material was used and who the supplier of the wire harness section was he would be at a lost for words... End of life recycling is important for landfills but doesn't mean they use this much in cars. I am sure there are some of these material such as sound deadener type material but not in a wire harness.

But in the end, I am sure it comes down to cost and also planned obsolesce.
Google planned obsolescence and you can find some very interesting reads. I actual watch a video about this last year while returning from Paris and it really makes sense.
http://lewrockwell.com/peters-e/peters-e212.html

Last edited by tonyb635; 02-17-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The crumbling wires are NOT confined to the headlights.

All wire sheathing in the E60 is subject to crumbling over time. And it is not confined to electrical systems. I have observed not only my headlight wires crumble, but also the rubber sheathing that surrounds the hood lid pop cable. There is nothing electrical about the hood pop cable.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:12 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Ok, well you can't believe everything a mechanic tells you no matter what dealer they are at. First of all they don't have access to drawings, specifications, testing requirements etc.. More than likely this was just their opinion and rightly so seeing the looks of that harness. But it still doesn't take away all failure possibilities like the mods people do to their cars etc to personalize. BMW even put a warning sticker in the windshield advising not to you such devices as radar detectors. it's not because they don't want you speeding, it's the unknown effect on the electrical system etc due to the unlimited amount and type. I actually tapped into my rear console power outlet to bring power into the console armrest. I damaged a clip and while the car was getting serviced had the deal se if they could locate a new one for me. They freaked out because of what I did. But can you imagine all of the other mods going on that has no testing behind it? Maybe the extra draw heats the wire a little more, don't know. What I do know is the angel eye wire issue is caused by heat build up in the headlight even with a stock bulb. My guess if we are adding xenons and high power bulbs to get the White effect like I also have done we are only accelerating the crumbling effect. I had a small spot on mine last year and I will remove the cover and have another look to see if it's still the same. I'm not sure what to expect here... Also, keep in mind, that if BMW was using such recycled wire harness we would see this same condition throughout the car. I know I don't, and I assume others don't as well. It seems to be concentrated in the headlight area. This tells me the wire construction should have been beefed up in this area. I'm curious as to what the dealers are saying if someone points this out to them. Hopefully anyone taking their car in to get this looked at has STOCK recommended bulbs in their car. I imagine if one went in with LED, GP Thunders or any other type of aftermarket bulb they would probably just laugh you off their property. I guess my point here is the mechanic has an opinion like we all do and if you asked him what material was used and who the supplier of the wire harness section was he would be at a lost for words... End of life recycling is important for landfills but doesn't mean they use this much in cars. I am sure there are some of these material such as sound deadener type material but not in a wire harness.

But in the end, I am sure it comes down to cost and also planned obsolesce.
Google planned obsolescence and you can find some very interesting reads. I actual watch a video about this last year while returning from Paris and it really makes sense.
A Modern Take on ‘Planned*Obsolescence’ by Eric Peters
I don't think you understand the gravity of the issue because it affects tens of thousands of Mercedes. This wasn't an off-chance incident related to a consumer modification.

So the mechanics at the dealers, as well as Indy shops, loved the work, because they became very proficient at it, and they charged a nice amount of labor to install. They were very experienced with the problem and the reason for it: Eco-Friendly, recycled materials, that filled the trash dumps and emptied wallets around the world.

The same thing is facing the BMW owner, but its related more to the interior components. Ever look at the interior on a 7 series that is about 5+ years old and spent the daylight hours outside? Looks like a 1972 Chevy Vega with all of the peeling, discolored, or simply vanished interior button symbols, vinyl on the B pillars peeling like a Birch tree, etc. Eco-friendly, recycled materials, and eco friendly adhesives is the reason.

I tried in vain to find a 5-7 year old, 7 series, that was not riddled with this interior cancer. I always focus on Southern cars, and in this instance, I guess the cooler, northern climate, areas of the USA are best for seeking one. Because in the South, those 7 series interiors are toast.

And once again, the trash dumps are filling with these parts as well; and the carbon footprint is even bigger, as more and more interior parts need to be made for these older cars.

I ended up with an 2005 Infiiniti Q45 and its 340 horsepower engine. The 545i is my "play thing", and the S320 is my "Home Depot" vehicle. The LS430 just keeps purring along for my wife.

I am quite distressed to hear that the wire sheathing issue also applies to the BMW E60's. That is bone crushing. Replacing interior components, and wiring harnesses, will destroy a wallet very quickly.

I use Zaino CS on all exterior rubber (windshield, doors, etc) in some desperate hope that I can fend off the influence of the "Greens" in Germany and their eco-friendly fanaticism.

But when I step on the throttle of that 545i SMG, I enter a blissful world of speed, torque, and tranquility. I hope that "rush" is enough to compensate for what can potentially kill the German automotive industry: The "Green Party" (Bündnis 90/Die Grünen) of Germany.

I know that BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc are all proclaiming: "Thank God for the 5 year, 60k lease, or we'd all be screwed!" After that lease, we need to all help each other out, because we're up against the "Greens of Germany" and they're a powerful, ideological, bunch of baboons.

Yes, the interior will disintegrate because of the "Greens"; I only hope this didn't happen in the purchasing department at BMW:

"Yes, Mercedes went with our recycled wire sheathing for their cars in order to make the Green Party of Germany happy. Come on! It's a win-win for the environment and your sales!"
Old 02-17-2013, 12:32 PM
New Members

My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

It seems like an egregiously stupid thing to use recycled materials for. Why not use recycled sheet metal, or the ABS support system behind the dash that no one sees?

I live in Germany, and die Grünen are completely insane. Oh the stories I have for you there.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:11 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gatriel
It seems like an egregiously stupid thing to use recycled materials for. Why not use recycled sheet metal, or the ABS support system behind the dash that no one sees?

I live in Germany, and die Grünen are completely insane. Oh the stories I have for you there.
Amen Bro! Amen!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Yes, it would be stupid and thats why they don't do it. You are spot on, the recycling of some products like insulations and sound deadening and shotty materials are there.

Originally Posted by Gatriel

Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

FWIW, I discovered this on my new-to-me bone stock 530i when I was installing LED AE bulbs. So yes, this problem is present on headlights with stock bulbs.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

Mine too, stock bulbs and the insulation missing was just a couple mm's. I actually placed electrical tape on the area and installed GP Thunder bulbs at same rating. I am going to go have a look right now after one year to see if it's progressed any. If it has, I'll post up what it's looking like. I did see something called liquid tape in the electrical dept at Lowes the other day. I recall someone here saying they used this and it worked well.

Quick Reply: Angel Eye wiring peeling apart.