E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Angel Eye wiring peeling apart.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

I think the issue is 100% common. Just ensure the wires are not touching each other and tape them gingerly and you should be fine until the next time you need to get inside.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidF
I think the issue is 100% common. Just ensure the wires are not touching each other and tape them gingerly and you should be fine until the next time you need to get inside.
that what I tried to do. the problem is that BMW (or hella) uses a few wire ties to hold the wires together at certain points in the loom.

I taped it up as best as I could. We'll see how long it holds up. I have a feeling that a short will be inevitable, though.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by QuadCam
that what I tried to do. the problem is that BMW (or hella) uses a few wire ties to hold the wires together at certain points in the loom.
yep, and then the wires disappear behind the bezel where they are completely inaccessible for repair.

Good luck with your repair attempts. If you need a good price on new headlight housings, pm me.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i sport

I simply cut the wire ties and made sure the wires were separated as much as possible. Leave them bare, but not touching. Some people have success with "liquid tape"
Old 02-14-2013, 02:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Is this your feeling or did you read this somewhere? All automotive manufactures have to comply with the IMDS system so its known how the parts react when they are filling up landfills. Leather is virgin in our cars. Some of the plastic parts are recycled but only at the manufacture of that part. E.G. during production/injection of a trim panel there will be a small amount of scrap produced from the runners and just start up. It depends on the material used if a percent of that material can be re-ground and reused. In most cases this is allowed up to 10% except around safety critical parts. So it's not like manufactures are running out and getting recycled material, they probably wouldn't be able to use anyway since the properties would not be stable enough and would have a negative effect on their process and process parameters. I guess it's like using recycled toilet paper, hmmm I just have a problem with that one... ; ))
Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

This is the same reason why the weatherstripping needs replacing more often on a BMW. They are using rubber that is formulated to degrade more rapidly in the landfill. Unfortunately, it degrades rapidly long before it gets to the landfill.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

Originally Posted by stephen max
this is the same reason why the weatherstripping needs replacing more often on a bmw. They are using rubber that is formulated to degrade more rapidly in the landfill. Unfortunately, it degrades rapidly long before it gets to the landfill.
+100000
Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Hmm, I wonder if putting some "liquid tape" on the wires of the headlight BEFORE they start to peel would help with their longevity? Anyone think it might help as part of preventative maintenance?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

I experienced the same problem with my wiring. 2006 530i. Hella did a remarkably poor job in selecting the insulating materials. I ended up using electrical tape and some heat shrink to put a band-aid on the problem for now, but I'm going to have to pony up the $850/each for new Xenon housings.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:33 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Is this your feeling or did you read this somewhere? All automotive manufactures have to comply with the IMDS system so its known how the parts react when they are filling up landfills. Leather is virgin in our cars. Some of the plastic parts are recycled but only at the manufacture of that part. E.G. during production/injection of a trim panel there will be a small amount of scrap produced from the runners and just start up. It depends on the material used if a percent of that material can be re-ground and reused. In most cases this is allowed up to 10% except around safety critical parts. So it's not like manufactures are running out and getting recycled material, they probably wouldn't be able to use anyway since the properties would not be stable enough and would have a negative effect on their process and process parameters. I guess it's like using recycled toilet paper, hmmm I just have a problem with that one... ; ))
I can't find the exact quote on the S-Class, but the following is representative of MB (German's) and their infatuation with recycled plastics in their cars:

The A-Class already meets the stipulated recycling rate of 95 percent by weight. The European ELV Directive 2000/53/EC additionally requires vehicle manufacturers to continually increase the input of recycled materials in their production processes. In all, the new A-Class incorporates 46 components representing a total weight of 34.2 kilograms which can be produced with the partial use of high-quality recycled plastics.

That's 75 lbs of plastic per vehicle that have recylced materials in them. The S-Class is even higher.

Last edited by paran; 02-14-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Angel Eye wiring peeling apart.