E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Angel Eye Experts...I've got a question for you

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the deal:

I got the all too common "Left Headlamp Malfunction", but on closer inspection here's what I found.

In the O (off) Position BOTH Driver and Passenger INNER angel eyes were illuminated.
In the 2nd (angel eye)Position, the OUTER/LARGE angel eye was OFF (driver's side) while the passenger side large angel eye was ON.
In the 3rd (all on) Position, BOTH the OUTER/LARGE and INNER/SMALL angel eye (driver's side) were OFF, while both on the Passenger side were ON.

That was a little tricky to describe, but basically, is this just a bulb failure or something further back (possibly a controller?)that has malfunctioned. I'm pretty intrigued with the idea of the aftermarket ones that a lot of you are putting on your car. Would I need to replace the outer and inner?

Thanks so much for your advice - I've been lurking on the site for a long time, admiring the many mods, but this is my first posting!

Appreciate the help!

04 545 CPO BLK
(our first BMW, there's really nothing quite like them)
Old 03-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

one angel eye bulb powers BOTH rings so I am not sure what ur talking about and 545i are all xenon headlamps. Can u post some pix?
Old 03-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Okay, first thing first. I don't think that pre-lci actually use AE as DRLs, so I am perplexed to why ANY ring would be on if you have it off.

Secondly, the parking light switch (which you are describing as the 2nd) should be lighting the AE, which goes goes to indicate that your driver's side bulb is out. But what doesn't make sense here is that your low and high beam rings should both be on.

Lastly, the third scenario you're describing is functioning correctly -- that being your driver's side is out.

Now, you mentioned that you have 2004 545, now I could be totally wrong, but I thought those are equipped with xenons as standard. That being the case, there should be no reason why you would have one ring lit, and the other not. That will only be the case if you have halogen headlights, as each ring is powered by individual bulbs.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're absolutely correct...and why I'm perplexed as well. Our car does have xenons, (and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it) but it was an early '04 model (actually built in '03). Interestingly, the interior trim is dark wood (black/grey) with metal accents on the interior door handles/shifter (somewhat like the M5). I will take some pictures today and post them...maybe I haven't described it correctly.

If I understand you correctly, one bulb actually powers both the small and the large AE rings? If that is true, then I too am confused, unless they did a combo xenon/halogen monster?

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Okay, first thing first. I don't think that pre-lci actually use AE as DRLs, so I am perplexed to why ANY ring would be on if you have it off.

Secondly, the parking light switch (which you are describing as the 2nd) should be lighting the AE, which goes goes to indicate that your driver's side bulb is out. But what doesn't make sense here is that your low and high beam rings should both be on.

Lastly, the third scenario you're describing is functioning correctly -- that being your driver's side is out.

Now, you mentioned that you have 2004 545, now I could be totally wrong, but I thought those are equipped with xenons as standard. That being the case, there should be no reason why you would have one ring lit, and the other not. That will only be the case if you have halogen headlights, as each ring is powered by individual bulbs.