E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: what's your favorite interior trim?
aluminum
34.96%
carbon fiber black
5.69%
walnut madeira wood
4.88%
olive ash wood
1.63%
anthracite maple wood
10.57%
dark poplar wood
22.76%
light poplar wood
9.76%
bamboo wood
4.07%
other?
5.69%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

aluminum vs wood trims

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='405570' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:09 AM
I prefer Aluminum to wood. I think some wood trims look much better than others, but overall I would take any of the Aluminum trims (ALU Shadow brushed, ALU Feinschliff brushed, ALU Cube, etc.) over any of the woods. I ordered Anthracite Maple wood trim for my car because BMW NA would not let me order anything but dark Poplar Wood and Anthracite wood. I lived with it for a year and then replaced it with the ALU Shadow brushed trim.

As far as I'm concerned the wood trims fall into two categories (these are my opinions, so don't get mad. I didn't get mad when you guys called my ALU trim "awful", "cheap looking", and "loud" ):

Catagory 1: These are wood trims that look good but I just would not have them in my car because I think the more modern Aluminum trims match my personality better. The Anthracite, Bamboo, and BMW Individual trims fall into these category. The matte wood trim on the E65 also looks good and falls into this category (I can't remember what it's called....Cherry??).

Category 2: These are the ones that IMO really do look bad. I wouldn't be caught dead with these trims in my car, and don't like them when I see them in other's cars. These are usually the burly mid to dark brown woods. They look too much like trims found in Jags, MB's, etc. I think the dark Poplar wood trim on the E60 is a prime example of this. I can't understand why BMW came up with this trim in the first place, they have so many other nicer wood trims that they could have used instead of the dark Poplar. There are many people who like this trim, but I think had BMW used some of the trims that they use on other models it would have looked better.

I would even pick the painted plastic trims over that hideous Dark Poplar stuff.

Again, these are just my opinions, so if you have the Poplar trim......no offense intended.
+1: IMO the like matt wood on E65 is in trend polished wood and in particular dark Poplar looks outdated
Old 03-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i Titanium Silver built 03/11/2007, delivered 04/25/2007,

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='405570' date='Mar 22 2007, 01:09 AM
I prefer Aluminum to wood. I think some wood trims look much better than others, but overall I would take any of the Aluminum trims (ALU Shadow brushed, ALU Feinschliff brushed, ALU Cube, etc.) over any of the woods. I ordered Anthracite Maple wood trim for my car because BMW NA would not let me order anything but dark Poplar Wood and Anthracite wood. I lived with it for a year and then replaced it with the ALU Shadow brushed trim.

As far as I'm concerned the wood trims fall into two categories (these are my opinions, so don't get mad. I didn't get mad when you guys called my ALU trim "awful", "cheap looking", and "loud" ):

Catagory 1: These are wood trims that look good but I just would not have them in my car because I think the more modern Aluminum trims match my personality better. The Anthracite, Bamboo, and BMW Individual trims fall into these category. The matte wood trim on the E65 also looks good and falls into this category (I can't remember what it's called....Cherry??).

Category 2: These are the ones that IMO really do look bad. I wouldn't be caught dead with these trims in my car, and don't like them when I see them in other's cars. These are usually the burly mid to dark brown woods. They look too much like trims found in Jags, MB's, etc. I think the dark Poplar wood trim on the E60 is a prime example of this. I can't understand why BMW came up with this trim in the first place, they have so many other nicer wood trims that they could have used instead of the dark Poplar. There are many people who like this trim, but I think had BMW used some of the trims that they use on other models it would have looked better.

I would even pick the painted plastic trims over that hideous Dark Poplar stuff.

Again, these are just my opinions, so if you have the Poplar trim......no offense intended.

I'd have to pretty much agree with most of what you said. Some wood's are more acceptable than others. But overall aluminum looks much more fitting on a BMW. In any case, its puzzling to me personally why BMW NA won't offer aluminum trim while retaining the wood choices. More choices are always good to have. Judging by the results of the poll so far there is clearly high demand for aluminum based trims.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dohboydds' post='405668' date='Mar 22 2007, 04:46 PM
Judging by the results of the poll so far there is clearly high demand for aluminum based trims.
Goes nicely with cream beige, grey and natural brown.

ABC
Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

Alu is Perfect with black leather (I think the majority of the BMW sold in the UK at least has black interior). I got this by checking BMW Approved used cars for sale.

Alu does match Grey leather nicely too, but not as nice as with black.

Beige & Brown interiors (not my favorit colours really) should be matched with wood as I think Aluminum will not contrast nicely. Also, most of those ordering Beige interior are after luxury/rich look and would opt for wood anyway
Old 03-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Members

my take is BMW are sport cars, but not the 5 and 7 series.

I would do "Tin" on a 3 or a z series, but the 5 is touring car.

Not a luxury car? I think this is a great car and handles great for its size, but its no "Sport", unless you prefer to think "sport" is bigger tires and an artificial suspension. Steering assist the same.

The "sport" on a 5 series is very "japanese" like to add technology to stiffen a ride to simulate a driving charactoristic!

When I read how some say its the "real" BMW to me its a poser! Not much different than the M45, or GS430 with its artificial do dads. And anyone with a Automatic tranny is especially prone to being a poser if they have a "sport".

Blackend trim is really sporty??? The trim in the 5 is too prevelent. ANd ALuminum sticks out too much.

The 5 series is a very quiet, true tracking "tourning sedan" made to go long distances with a fine mix of luxury and performance. Thus, in my opinion, loading it up with technology masks its real character or like the Japanese makers do is use Tech to mask its inadiquate infrastructure.

But, Anyway you do them, they are great machines and very nice to look at and be in!
Old 03-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 535d M-Sport Individual Deep Green Metallic 19" Style 172 wheels Individual Champagne leather Media Pack Visibility pack Sunroof Privacy glass

Piano wood trim all day long. The quality of this stuff is exceptional, worth every penny:-

Old 03-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bargamon' post='405763' date='Mar 22 2007, 11:02 PM
my take is BMW are sport cars, but not the 5 and 7 series.

I would do "Tin" on a 3 or a z series, but the 5 is touring car.

Not a luxury car? I think this is a great car and handles great for its size, but its no "Sport", unless you prefer to think "sport" is bigger tires and an artificial suspension. Steering assist the same.

The "sport" on a 5 series is very "japanese" like to add technology to stiffen a ride to simulate a driving charactoristic!

When I read how some say its the "real" BMW to me its a poser! Not much different than the M45, or GS430 with its artificial do dads. And anyone with a Automatic tranny is especially prone to being a poser if they have a "sport".

Blackend trim is really sporty??? The trim in the 5 is too prevelent. ANd ALuminum sticks out too much.

The 5 series is a very quiet, true tracking "tourning sedan" made to go long distances with a fine mix of luxury and performance. Thus, in my opinion, loading it up with technology masks its real character or like the Japanese makers do is use Tech to mask its inadiquate infrastructure.

But, Anyway you do them, they are great machines and very nice to look at and be in!
BMW fits its most powerful 510HP engine on this luxury chassis. I don't think the M5 is that much "Japanese"
Old 03-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aeroresh' post='405791' date='Mar 23 2007, 12:21 AM
Piano wood trim all day long. The quality of this stuff is exceptional, worth every penny:-

Very nice!
Old 03-22-2007, 04:08 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Aeroresh' post='405791' date='Mar 22 2007, 11:21 PM

Looks very nice! Whats the difference to the LCI's black trim?