E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator and Belts Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

After multiple Dynamic Drive failure alarms combined with assorted other alarms I replaced my alternator with an MPA Quality Built remanufactured unit from Auto Parts Warehouse for $116. I also ordered replacement serpentine belts. I wasn?t positive that the cause for all the alarms was due to the alternator, but based on posts I?d read here and on other boards, it seemed like a pretty good probability. Before replacement I checked system voltage using my multi-meter and it didn?t seem too far out of bounds. It varied between 12.2 volts and 14.2 volts depending on what electrical stuff I turned on. After replacement, it was pretty much rock steady at 14 volts no matter what I turned on. Apparently these cars can?t tolerate the voltage fluctuations like I had with my old alternator. No warnings yet, fingers crossed.

Following the Bentley repair manual made the job pretty straightforward. Someone mentioned on a previous post that the alternator needed to be removed and suspended before disconnecting the wires and that was great advice.

I didn?t use a special BMW tool to hold the serpentine belt tensioner in place, a 16d nail did the job nicely. The A/C belt is a stretch belt, has no tensioner and you definitely need a special tool to replace it. I tried this supposedly universal tool
Amazon Amazon
and it didn?t work. Their advertising that it works on any stretch belt is misleading, don?t buy it. It is only for belts that go on the front pulley of the engine and even then I don?t think it would fit a BMW pulley. I returned it and ordered this one https://www.belmetric.com/astbmw-0062-bmw-stretch-belt-tool-p-3777.html?cPath=487_489 which worked great except per their instructions I had to temporarily unbolt a bracket from the A/C. It?s kind of pricey for what it is, but it?s still a lot cheaper than getting it done by a dealer.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Belts lasting 70K miles, actually that's pretty good. Anything beyond that, I think you're asking for trouble if you go on a trip. To keep the life of the alternator I always have a 1 farad cap on my cars.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Belts lasting 70K miles, actually that's pretty good. Anything beyond that, I think you're asking for trouble if you go on a trip. To keep the life of the alternator I always have a 1 farad cap on my cars.
go on...
Old 07-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

I always put a 1 farad cap on my cars. it can only help. 1 farad isn't expensive and will steady the voltage to all accessories including on-demand voltage of the DME. No lags surges etc. extends the alternator life too which is a big plus. And if you happen to add/upgrade some electrical components you're all set but of course you need to measure your farads with your accessories.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Contributors

MPA Quality Built remanufactured alternator FAILED! Bummer. Voltage went whacky all over the place, as high as 17. Damn thing started making some nasty noises as well. Car kept throwing errors and shutting down all electrical. Bad regulator! I got full credit from Auto Parts Warehouse and they don't even want the bad one back. Totally new Valeo ordered from Autohauz AZ for $340. No more rebuilds for me! Bad part is the car is totally down now and I need to wait for UPS.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Contributors

I always put a 1 farad cap on my cars. it can only help. 1 farad isn't expensive and will steady the voltage to all accessories including on-demand voltage of the DME. No lags surges etc. extends the alternator life too which is a big plus. And if you happen to add/upgrade some electrical components you're all set but of course you need to measure your farads with your accessories.
Interesting idea. I may try it, can't hurt.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

where did you mount it on the E60? by the battery?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by 545felix
where did you mount it on the E60? by the battery?

+1 AchtungE60, Can you post a pic?
Old 07-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

Yes on the E60 it was mounted by battery under the boot's interior. No longer in E60 because I barely drive it and it's parked stationary in garage hooked to trickle charger.
I will take a pic of my Z though and post....
Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

I don't know if I'll reposition it when I rip the car apart for some mods but here it is on the Z. The car is running so it is about 14.1 volts it goes between 14-14.1v
When idle it stays about 12.5v. You'll notice lag issues will probably be resolved. You can look at a Raiziin but I think they're mostly for imports because they're built pretty small.
Attached Thumbnails Alternator and Belts Replaced-img_1179.jpg  

Quick Reply: Alternator and Belts Replaced