E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alpina B5s rattle after 'excess boost'?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 07:48 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: B5s
Default Alpina B5s rattle after 'excess boost'?

I had a recent issue which has caused a possible problem. But there are zero codes or out of the ordinary measurements of sensors or engine running data, rough running, vanos, valvetronic, knock voltage, lambda etc all normal.

Last week the charge pipe connection blew off at the lower intercooler pipe.
Car had a sudden loss of power, i pulled over 150m down the road with the engine barely running ( had to continue to a safe point on the road).

Charge pipe was reconnected without issue, even if a few scrapped knuckles etc. Initially all good. But i now have a rattle/vibration/ slight knocking 'sound' at low load, 1000-3000rpm. Goes away under full load eg 5th gear 1500rpm plus and accelerating. But is there either hot or cold engine at low load 10-20% throttle. But does seem worse when hot. You can also hear similar type of sound at idle on left bank, this maybe coincedental and could have been there previously, as never checked as no problem before.

I have stopped driving the car. No codes, everything is normal on the computer readings. Car has no loss of power and otherwise seems 'normal'. But something has obviously changed.

Hence wondering if i could get any direction of what to ask the techs to look for or check.

Would running for 150m without charge pipe have dumped massive amounts of fuel into the combusion chambers and its rod knock?? Guess a worse case senario. But unsure how the mapping works on the Alpina as supercharged.

Any suggestions would be apprectiated.

Last edited by DWB5s; 12-28-2020 at 07:50 AM.