E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The dreaded "Camshaft Crank Correlation/Limp Mode" situation; though intermittent??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 10:44 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535xi 6MT, '81 Scirocco Turbo Ragtop
Model Year: 2010
Default The dreaded "Camshaft Crank Correlation/Limp Mode" situation; though intermittent??

Hi all - I'm about to take my E61/N54 back to my indy for the second time (stealer couldn't diagnose it either...) to diagnose these rat-bastard codes:

2A99 - crank shaft - outlet camshaft, correlation
2A98 - crank shaft - inlet camshaft, correlation
3100 - limp mode

All this happened after the engine bay was detailed (without my knowledge (long story)). Prior to that, never had the issue even once. Car is stock w/ recent replacement of the DME, fuel injectors, coil packs, among other things. The annoying thing is that it's completely intermittent. I can go a whole day without it and then 5-10 in a row. I've pinpointed the behavior to it only happening when the car's decelerating and it hits approximately 1000-1200 rpm. Turning off the car and restarting the engine restores the situation to normal for the time being. As such, I'm 98% convinced it's electrical...but where?

I've read just about every thread I could find on this issue and know about the typical causes - vanos solenoids (just swapped w/ new), cam position sensors, cam bearing ledge damage, etc. but I'm hoping to get some other novel ideas to hopefully point my indy in the right direction.

Your thoughts? Thanks, Jeff
Old 11-15-2016, 01:39 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i xdrive

Sounds bad if the dealer can't locate the issue. About a year ago I had similar codes and issues and my Indy concluded it was the intake and exhaust cam units. Fixed the issues. Here is a link to one of the units:

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E60-53...nical/ES23187/
Old 11-15-2016, 01:49 PM
New Members

Thanks! Were your symptoms intermittent as well?
Old 11-16-2016, 06:25 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i xdrive

Not really intermittent so my guess is probably not your issue, but maybe your timing is off and needs to be adjusted. My Indy originally installed these units and the timing was slightly off so they had to readjust.

Cam bearing ledges seem to be highly correlated to your three codes, did the dealer check that out? What did the dealer rule out, if anything?
Old 11-16-2016, 07:35 AM
New Members

I didn't see the report from the dealer - my Indy took it in.

It's so frickin annoying. Take this morning for example - I start the car cold, drive all over town as my kids go to schools on the opposite sides of town ( 😕 ) and nothing for the 5+ miles, mostly in traffic. Pull up to the last kid's school and bang there it is. Restart, then almost immediately bang. After 3-4 times, I threw in the towel...
Old 02-22-2017, 09:04 AM
New Members

Hi all - just wanted to close the loop on this thread. Turns out one or more of the bolts in VANOS gears were beginning to back out causing erratic operation. Replacing both gears made the problem go bye-bye! YAY!