E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment specs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i Orient Blue exterior Beigh leather interior with Wood trim, Premium package, Steptronic auto, Xenon headlights.

Hey guys is it true that in order to make our cars from having that slight pull to the right on crowned roads that we must have the Caster Set up about 1/4 positive degree more on the right side then the left side, and also that we must have negative 1/4 degree more on the front right Camber then the front left Camber? Has anyone had this done on there BMW's and does it really work? Thanks in Advance.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm sure there are a zillion adjustments that you could make to your wheel alignments that would "fix" certain things but keep in mind that for every thing you "fix," you'll be "breaking" something else.

There is a trade-off with pretty much every setting on a car. Ask any race-car engineer what the "perfect" car setup is and he'll tell you there isn't one -- it will depend on the racetrack, the car, the driver, the fuel load, the track conditions, etc.

If you ask me, BMW gave us a setup that is as close to perfection as you can come and I think messing around with it is a mistake...
Old 01-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL' post='228017' date='Jan 22 2006, 04:22 PM
Hey guys is it true that in order to make our cars from having that slight pull to the right on crowned roads that we must have the Caster Set up about 1/4 positive degree more on the right side then the left side, and also that we must have negative 1/4 degree more on the front right Camber then the front left Camber? Has anyone had this done on there BMW's and does it really work? Thanks in Advance.
Theoretically, yes. But in practice camber and caster settings are usually dialed in to adjust and account for under or oversteer - not to prevent the car from pulling. Preventing the car from pulling to one side can be better adjusted by fidgeting with the alignment.

There's going to be some negative camber on the stock OEM setup, but I am pretty sure it is the same on both wheels (front and back).

And, as Rudy said above, factory settings are pretty good as is for normal daily driving. So, relax, sit back and enjoy the ride ... crowned road or otherwise.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i Orient Blue exterior Beigh leather interior with Wood trim, Premium package, Steptronic auto, Xenon headlights.

Am I correct to assume that if i am driving on a crowned road that my car should drift slightling to the right as for me to hold the steering wheel with force a tiny bit to the left??? and if so is this commen to BMWs and most cars?