E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Air leak from side of rim

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I was thinking of trying this:

JK
Old 12-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

Originally Posted by balbs
I was thinking of trying this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZhszvMjvjg

JK

Haha good one! Noticed the trailer stainless rim, wonder how many E60's are riding on those rugged wheels/tires!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mother
Sometimes putting about 45psi in then deflating to desired psi can fix it.
Tried this. Unfortunately it didn't work. First I let out as much air as I can. I then inflated it a bit over 45psi. I then took out air to 35psi. It still leaks

Originally Posted by southgate
^Happend to one of my rims.

go to a local tire shop might cost you 5-10 bucks. They will clean it off and reseal it. Mine did not need any bead sealer, but it wouldn't hurt to apply it..
I did a more thorough water test. It seems to be leaking from almost every quarter of the wheel diameter. WTF is going on? The wheel doesn't look bent or cracked anywhere. I guess I should have them dismount and apply some bead sealer this time.

Before my leak test, I was assuming that it was some sort of puncture. I called around different shops and most says they charge around $20 to patch or seal the puncture. I'm sure re-setting the bead and applying bead sealer would cost more.

I would also ask them to rebalance it when done just to make sure things are done right....PITA!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 AM
Members

You will need to clean the inside rim (oooo vicar) then reseat it, if that fails then remove tire and check the bead, funny thing is my bro just phoned me last night and he asked me if i knew if there was anyone selling decent tires for his range rover vogue as he has the same problem, but when the garage took the tire off the bead was buggered.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by balbs
Tried this. Unfortunately it didn't work. First I let out as much air as I can. I then inflated it a bit over 45psi. I then took out air to 35psi. It still leaks

I did a more thorough water test. It seems to be leaking from almost every quarter of the wheel diameter. WTF is going on? The wheel doesn't look bent or cracked anywhere. I guess I should have them dismount and apply some bead sealer this time.

Before my leak test, I was assuming that it was some sort of puncture. I called around different shops and most says they charge around $20 to patch or seal the puncture. I'm sure re-setting the bead and applying bead sealer would cost more.

I would also ask them to rebalance it when done just to make sure things are done right....PITA!
it is a pain, dismounting the tire is going to find the problem. My chrome lip was peeling off my wheel from the inside and rust started building up in the area. Had to sand off the rust and good as new! So it can be one of several problems. You might just need a good seal. Let us know how it goes
Old 12-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST

i had this problem with one of my wheels....the tire bead was damaged during a dismount.....had the guys put hella amounts of sealant on there and re-seal it....fixed the problem (for the most part).

im sure you just need to have the tire re-sealed at a tire shop....wont hurt to thoroughly clean the rim as well while ur at it...
Old 12-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Contributors

I took it to the shop this morning. They had a hard time trying to break the bead. Add to that, their rubber\plastic coated tools kept slipping and they had a hard time trying to dismount the tire. Eventually, they had to take the protective coating off their tools until finally the tire was able to come off. I swear I was tense the whole time each time I see the tool getting close to the metal. I was there the whole time and watched them be real careful with my polished wheels.

While they were taking it off. They pointed out some weird powder-like residue inside. I don't know where that came from. They are saying it's possibly some corrosion or something. But the wheels are aluminum so I don't know if it can corrode. Here's a pic:

Air leak from side of rim-img_1458.jpg

Anyway, they cleaned it up as much as they could using a wire brush (inside of rim) and then applied quite a bit of bead sealer and remounted the tire. We then checked for leaks it seemed good. I had them rebalance the tire as well so the whole thing cost about $40.

What's that powder stuff anyway? The tire was installed by a recommended shop ( per acuteperformance ) and I never put anything but air in the tire. The guys at the shop recommend that I take the wheels to DPE and have them refinish or polish the inside near the bead.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST

at the end of the day its still metal. even though you only put air in...condensation will still occur. dark moist air on metal will eventually cause some corrosion i suppose. the problem may be fixed for now....if it persists dont waste the time/money on sending back to DPE, just posish them up yourself using a dremel tool or a hand drill w/ a polishing bit. beyond that, i wouldnt worry too much about it....seems like natural wear & tear to me
Old 12-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

Glad all worked out.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Thanks guys! I'm not out of the woods yet. I went to work right after and the wheel is still in my trunk. I'll mount it on tonight. Hopefully the next time I dismount the tire, it will be because of normal tread wear.