E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by bdoviack
I used to put K&N's into my vehicles and then realized that they don't do much and in fact may do harm. Just think about this logically:

The world's best performance car manufacturers spend millions trying to eke out every last ounce of performance. From carbon-fiber body panels, ceramic brakes to titanium lug nuts, don't you think Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini would spend an additional $50 for a part that's supposed to add performance? Now with ever-increasing mileage standards being imposed, you would think a K&N would be a good idea even if they made it for one-time use. Yet today (as far as I know) no top-notch manufacturer uses K&N.

Secondly, look online for the oil analysis results people are getting back that use K&N's. Many report high silica content (i.e. sand) in their oil. Don't ask me, just Google it yourself.

Lastly, the cost savings are minimal if non-existent. If you factor in the initial cost of the filter plus the oil to "recharge" it, maybe you'll be close to 100,000 miles when you break even? Not sure how many of us will have our cars that long and can yet find the K&N filter oil after so many years.

K&N does have great marketing yet so do those "Horsepower in a bottle" liquids. I still cringe when I hear Carroll Shelby promoting that one particular brand.

I do realize this is an endless debate and there probably is no correct answer. Just thought I'd mention my perspective and experience.
I agree that there really is no performance benifit from simply switching to a K&N filter.

The benefit of a K&N filter comes from the ability to clean it as often as you like. If you drive in dry or dusty conditions this is a plus.

Your point about the increased silica levels is interesting though - but I've been using K&N filters on my cars for years and had no engine problems relating to contaminated oil whatsoever.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by bdoviack
I used to put K&N's into my vehicles and then realized that they don't do much and in fact may do harm. Just think about this logically:

The world's best performance car manufacturers spend millions trying to eke out every last ounce of performance. From carbon-fiber body panels, ceramic brakes to titanium lug nuts, don't you think Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini would spend an additional $50 for a part that's supposed to add performance? Now with ever-increasing mileage standards being imposed, you would think a K&N would be a good idea even if they made it for one-time use. Yet today (as far as I know) no top-notch manufacturer uses K&N.

Secondly, look online for the oil analysis results people are getting back that use K&N's. Many report high silica content (i.e. sand) in their oil. Don't ask me, just Google it yourself.

Lastly, the cost savings are minimal if non-existent. If you factor in the initial cost of the filter plus the oil to "recharge" it, maybe you'll be close to 100,000 miles when you break even? Not sure how many of us will have our cars that long and can yet find the K&N filter oil after so many years.

K&N does have great marketing yet so do those "Horsepower in a bottle" liquids. I still cringe when I hear Carroll Shelby promoting that one particular brand.

I do realize this is an endless debate and there probably is no correct answer. Just thought I'd mention my perspective and experience.
Here we go with another "if it's so good why isn't it OEM" argument. All those manufacturers listed are also businesses, and as such exist to make a profit. Therefore, no, they don't use the ABSOLUTE best possible parts and components everywhere, rather they use whatever meets their design criteria for the cheapest price to maximize profits. They are not going to spend the extra $$$$ on a filter when a paper one does the job and is stupid cheap for them to buy.

Far more interesting is what they use in their race cars: "Lifetime air filter that is washable and re-oilable. BMC F1 air filters are original equipment for the Ferrari Formula 1 team and Ferrari GT race teams and Porsche Motorsports, Mercedes Benz F1 and GT race teams and AUDI motorsports team. Quality is unsurpassed at BMC F1 air filters."

Guess what, Ferrari does use a reusable air filter in their F1 cars
Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e61 535d LCi mSport, DPF removed, ECOtune remapped

How often do people their clean their K&N's. The usual is 50,000 miles depending on where you drive.
Mine's been in since November 2010.
K&N say the filtering properties go up as it gets dirtier, yet it still allows more air through compared to a paper element.

Also paper elements do need changing sometimes before the recommended time/milage especially in UK with it's damp weather, which can get a paper filter very soggy if it's dirty and then the next thing it's sucked into the engine.. I've had that
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Blobby
How often do people their clean their K&N's.
Whenever I open the hood to do any other type of maintenance (oil change, fluid top off, cleaning, etc.) It only takes a few minutes to clean, dry, and recharge.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by pjinca
Here we go with another "if it's so good why isn't it OEM" argument. All those manufacturers listed are also businesses, and as such exist to make a profit. Therefore, no, they don't use the ABSOLUTE best possible parts and components everywhere, rather they use whatever meets their design criteria for the cheapest price to maximize profits. They are not going to spend the extra $$ on a filter when a paper one does the job and is stupid cheap for them to buy.

Far more interesting is what they use in their race cars: "Lifetime air filter that is washable and re-oilable. BMC F1 air filters are original equipment for the Ferrari Formula 1 team and Ferrari GT race teams and Porsche Motorsports, Mercedes Benz F1 and GT race teams and AUDI motorsports team. Quality is unsurpassed at BMC F1 air filters."

Guess what, Ferrari does use a reusable air filter in their F1 cars
+1. They're in the business to make money not to provide you with a fantastic car. Seriously. It's just marketing. Their plastic is shit, their rubber hoses are shit, and they do cheap out on materials that can break over time. So why not use a paper filter that costs them $2 and then when you need to replace you pay $60 at the $tealer. For $. They're in it for themselves not for you.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Silver Grey on Black, 6 Spd Manual, Sport, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, Fold Down RS

Disagree that OEM's are too cheap to add K&N's to their cars. Look at the Bugatti Veyron. It costs $1,000,000+. Don't tell me that they won't use a K&N because they are too cheap. Even "cheaper" Ferrari's that are only $500,000 don't issue K&N's. If the filter's were so great, you can bet that every manufacturer would be selling a "performance kit" that included a high performance filter for hundreds of dollars. The K&N provides the same performance as the coffee can exhausts you see on Honda Civics.

Read more from an independent website (not K&N's website) about the K&N and its filtering issues:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=490965
Old 05-31-2012, 04:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

I have K&N, no problems
Old 05-31-2012, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Go with either K&N or BMC.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Bmw E60 530i 2004 Jet Black sport package on Linea Corse 19" Lc818 Saphire Black

I've read a lot of good reviews on the AFE air filter ... mostly on the prodry S version that does not require re-oiling !

but I don't know if AFE is better than the K&N .?