E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

air conditioning sucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:21 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Shouldn't the AC blow and not suck?
I find my AC to be very cold living in south texas.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

Set your A/C to the lowest temp at Auto.
Let it run for a minute or two.
Measure the temperature of the air of all the vents (just close by, measure in the flow).

They should be around 7 degrees C. If they're above 10 degrees Celcius, your A/C is low on refrigerant gas and you need a R134a refill.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='608133' date='Jun 22 2008, 11:22 PM
well yeah i have all the bars set to blue.

it's interesting that you say you can set the passenger side to blue bars because on my software (which i believe was the latest one), i can only make the driver side blue or red bars. the passenger side only lets me set the percentage of air to each vent (face or feet).

i'm wondering if the AC needs a recharge and is that covered under the CPO warranty?
Erm, come on folks - cold to one person is not cold to another! I live in Phoenix (where it is regularly pretty hot, I assure you) and my AC is just fine... On the other hand, if I lived in SoCal, 108 might be very unusual, so the AC may seem inadequate.

It also true, in my experience, that different manufacturers seem to have different ideas of what "cold" is when it comes to their AC engineering. I've got an 11 year old Nissan Pathfinder, with the original AC freon charge, and it indeed blows colder than any setting on my BMW... The Japanese manufacturers like to make things cold...

Anyway, if this fellow thinks it's not cold enough, then it's not cold enough (at least for him)...
Old 06-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='608133' date='Jun 23 2008, 02:22 AM
well yeah i have all the bars set to blue.

it's interesting that you say you can set the passenger side to blue bars because on my software (which i believe was the latest one), i can only make the driver side blue or red bars. the passenger side only lets me set the percentage of air to each vent (face or feet).

i'm wondering if the AC needs a recharge and is that covered under the CPO warranty?
You are correct. There is only one area for setting the blue bars. That is for the center vent temp. In 100 degree temp, I can get cool air in 1-2 minutes and air too cold (for me) in about 5-10 minutes.

It is possible that you need a recharge, if it never seems to blow cold air at all.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

my hkr unit was replaced because it was not blowing as cold as I thought they did some test and found it defective replaced under warrenty and now itz like the frigging North Pole in the car. It does take a few minuets to get the interior really cold, but I do have a black car with black leather and my windows are not tinted yet
Old 06-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='608534' date='Jun 23 2008, 02:19 PM
Erm, come on folks - cold to one person is not cold to another! I live in Phoenix (where it is regularly pretty hot, I assure you) and my AC is just fine... On the other hand, if I lived in SoCal, 108 might be very unusual, so the AC may seem inadequate.

It also true, in my experience, that different manufacturers seem to have different ideas of what "cold" is when it comes to their AC engineering. I've got an 11 year old Nissan Pathfinder, with the original AC freon charge, and it indeed blows colder than any setting on my BMW... The Japanese manufacturers like to make things cold...

Anyway, if this fellow thinks it's not cold enough, then it's not cold enough (at least for him)...
i'm not expecting the north pole in this weather, and the san fernando valley isn't a paradise. it's 100-110 degrees every summer here.

my problem is that the passanger side is COLD, while the driver side seems like it's just blowing a little cooler than the fan.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

Thats weird.

I am currently in Scottsdale, Arizona. Temps have been above 110 for the past week.

My air is ICE cold and on max the car cools down in minutes.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

i called the dealership, and they said it could need a recharge since the car is 4 years old. they want $240 for a recharge. yeah i'm not planning to pay them that much for $30 worth of gas.

anyways he said if it's not that, then they'd have to take a look at the AC system and that might be covered under the CPO if there's something wrong.

i believe there is because during the winter months, the driver side vent doesn't blow out as hot as the passenger side vent. i brought the car in during the winter for that, but they couldn't replicate it.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I would think the recharge for the AC isnt too different than other cars right?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='607570' date='Jun 22 2008, 04:40 AM
granted it's 106 degrees today in socal...that's no excuse for this car. my old acura legend does a better job at cooling down the car then this 545.

my biggest complaint is that of the two vents in the center. the driver side blows warmer air than the passanger side. i noticed the same thing in the winter. the passanger side only blew hot hair while the drive side still blew relatively cooler air.

i'm starting to think the a/c unit for the driver side isn't working right.

anyone else have this probleM/
You might get some better responses if you would fully describe your ride. Make, model, year and options.

Quick Reply: air conditioning sucks