E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

air conditioning sucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

granted it's 106 degrees today in socal...that's no excuse for this car. my old acura legend does a better job at cooling down the car then this 545.

my biggest complaint is that of the two vents in the center. the driver side blows warmer air than the passanger side. i noticed the same thing in the winter. the passanger side only blew hot hair while the drive side still blew relatively cooler air.

i'm starting to think the a/c unit for the driver side isn't working right.

anyone else have this probleM/
Old 06-22-2008, 02:32 AM
Contributors

try accessing the climate control via I-drive. there u prob had the cool set to driver and heat to passenger. u should see a blue color on driver side and a red color or passenger side. maybe that ll fix ur prob
Old 06-22-2008, 05:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

The AC is fine. Just follow the above suggestion and you will be fine. There is a huge range of settings for the center vents within the I-Drive.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by bteljuice1' post='607583' date='Jun 22 2008, 04:32 AM
try accessing the climate control via I-drive. there u prob had the cool set to driver and heat to passenger. u should see a blue color on driver side and a red color or passenger side. maybe that ll fix ur prob

+1 have to setup it on I-drive (put it in blue bars at max if you want)
Old 06-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='607570' date='Jun 22 2008, 01:40 AM
granted it's 106 degrees today in socal...that's no excuse for this car. my old acura legend does a better job at cooling down the car then this 545.

my biggest complaint is that of the two vents in the center. the driver side blows warmer air than the passanger side. i noticed the same thing in the winter. the passanger side only blew hot hair while the drive side still blew relatively cooler air.

i'm starting to think the a/c unit for the driver side isn't working right.

anyone else have this probleM/

Ya I think the AC is fine but you're right BMW AC isnt as strong / cold as other manufactures I've noticed. My sister had a audi and that AC was ICE COLD compared to the E60 even Toyota ACs are much colder to me than my E60 but my Porsche AC is just as weak so unless I have two cars both with broken AC systems I dont think its a problem... its cold... just not as cold...

I also remember reading somewhere that the two central vents are purposely made to be not as cold and not as warm as the the other side vents. I forget the reason.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='607729' date='Jun 22 2008, 02:32 PM
Ya I think the AC is fine but you're right BMW AC isnt as strong / cold as other manufactures I've noticed. My sister had a audi and that AC was ICE COLD compared to the E60 even Toyota ACs are much colder to me than my E60 but my Porsche AC is just as weak so unless I have two cars both with broken AC systems I dont think its a problem... its cold... just not as cold...

I also remember reading somewhere that the two central vents are purposely made to be not as cold and not as warm as the the other side vents. I forget the reason.
Trust the other responses to your query, If you go into I Drive and make SURE that ALL of the little bars on the illustration of the driver and passenger are blue, I think you will find it VERY cold, likewise in the winter all of those bars must be red, and you'll get plenty of heat. At first I-Drive takes a little getting used to, but if you play around with it long enough, you'll find yourself becoming more comfortable with it.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='607800' date='Jun 22 2008, 02:03 PM
Trust the other responses to your query, If you go into I Drive and make SURE that ALL of the little bars on the illustration of the driver and passenger are blue, I think you will find it VERY cold, likewise in the winter all of those bars must be red, and you'll get plenty of heat. At first I-Drive takes a little getting used to, but if you play around with it long enough, you'll find yourself becoming more comfortable with it.
Trust me... I know my E60 inside out, I know whats in the iDrive, and the AC is not as cold as my sisters Audi nor is it as cold as a manual AC in a Corolla. Its still cold... just not cold enough.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

well yeah i have all the bars set to blue.

it's interesting that you say you can set the passenger side to blue bars because on my software (which i believe was the latest one), i can only make the driver side blue or red bars. the passenger side only lets me set the percentage of air to each vent (face or feet).

i'm wondering if the AC needs a recharge and is that covered under the CPO warranty?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Carbon Black 545i

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='608133' date='Jun 23 2008, 01:22 AM
well yeah i have all the bars set to blue.

it's interesting that you say you can set the passenger side to blue bars because on my software (which i believe was the latest one), i can only make the driver side blue or red bars. the passenger side only lets me set the percentage of air to each vent (face or feet).

i'm wondering if the AC needs a recharge and is that covered under the CPO warranty?

When you start up your car it helps to put it on the outside air first until it gets cold. (Guessing a min or so.)

Then you press the MAX snowflake button and it should be cold after that.

Also pressing the auto button may switch up your original settings.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:29 AM
Members

i am also in the so Cal area and yes it was freaking blazing hot this last week!!! i have the exact same problem and i have set the blue bars on the driver side, (i dont see it for the passenger side) and yes it is blowing out hot air when i have it on MAX... im in the same position as you kneemah..blows out a bit cooler air on the center vent on the passenger side but not nearly enough, was roasting in the car this last weekend, anyone know what da heck is going on, this just started happening last week

Quick Reply: air conditioning sucks