E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Air Condition not cooling

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have almost the same problem.

My a/c works but it takes about 20-30 minutes before it starts to blow cold air.

I checked the Refrig level and it was within limits. So it's definately not that
Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jehovden
Hello again!

I have just noticed that my fan aft of the radiator in the front is not running when the aircon is on. In fact I have never been able to see this fan run. Even if the car is warm etc.

Is the condenser for the air-con system positioned at the front in the engine room? Together with the radiator for the engine coolant, or? I really wish I new more about cars...

Anyway, anyone know of a DIY check-list to find out something about this fan?

Thanks.

Hi,

Did you ever figure out how to check the fan. I have the same problem.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

When i first picked up my car it was blowing slightly cold air intermittently. Definately not cold. The pressure was fine and the refridgerant level was fine. I could not diagnose it. It wasn't until i decided to degrease and clean the entire engine well that the belts starting whining. I sprayed belt dressing and the whining would stop for about 5-10 minutes. Then it would start again. This was only while idling. I couldn't take it anymore and decided to change both belts. So I changed both belts. The A/C started blowing extremely cold!

However I still had a whine at idle. But I decided to just drive it out because I know that these things fix themselves after settling. After about 200 miles in, the whine went away. That was over a year ago. Before replacing the belts I compared. The belts that came off were stretched out. The new ones where not. I believe it had to do with this. I believe that the new belts needed to stretch a tad bit to stop whining. I had to apply no dressing for the squeal to work itself out. Good luck.

As far as the fan. Sometime the electrical box connected melts on the inside. I've noticed this on several BMW's, none E60 but nevertheless.... Take the fan out and inspect the box. If you have a pair of alligator clips you can hook it up to your car battery to test it. If it's working properly it could be that it's not getting a signal. Check fuses too. Remember this car is completely computer driven.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:32 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525D Touring (E61)

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
When i first picked up my car it was blowing slightly cold air intermittently. Definately not cold. The pressure was fine and the refridgerant level was fine. I could not diagnose it. It wasn't until i decided to degrease and clean the entire engine well that the belts starting whining. I sprayed belt dressing and the whining would stop for about 5-10 minutes. Then it would start again. This was only while idling. I couldn't take it anymore and decided to change both belts. So I changed both belts. The A/C started blowing extremely cold!

However I still had a whine at idle. But I decided to just drive it out because I know that these things fix themselves after settling. After about 200 miles in, the whine went away. That was over a year ago. Before replacing the belts I compared. The belts that came off were stretched out. The new ones where not. I believe it had to do with this. I believe that the new belts needed to stretch a tad bit to stop whining. I had to apply no dressing for the squeal to work itself out. Good luck.

As far as the fan. Sometime the electrical box connected melts on the inside. I've noticed this on several BMW's, none E60 but nevertheless.... Take the fan out and inspect the box. If you have a pair of alligator clips you can hook it up to your car battery to test it. If it's working properly it could be that it's not getting a signal. Check fuses too. Remember this car is completely computer driven.

Hello,

And thanks a lot for your reply!

I will definetly have to look at the fan, so I will look for a DIY here on how to remove this.

Now about these belts you replaced; is this a major and difficult job? I am quite green in car mechanics, but still not totally green technical wise, if you can understand what I mean. Or did you have to go to a dealer to do this? I find it interesting that the A/C started working a lot better after you changed the belts.

Any DIY for the belt replacement?

Again, thanks!

Best regards,
Jan
Old 08-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Members

My 04 is doing the exact same thing.

I was able to track it down to the fan not always coming on when the AC is on.

If I 'jiggle' the wire harness on the fan, it seems to get the fan going.

Once the fan starts, the AC takes no time at all to cool off.

Going to try some contact cleaner and see how that goes.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by linksys101
My 04 is doing the exact same thing.

I was able to track it down to the fan not always coming on when the AC is on.

If I 'jiggle' the wire harness on the fan, it seems to get the fan going.

Once the fan starts, the AC takes no time at all to cool off.

Going to try some contact cleaner and see how that goes.
Hello!

This is very interesting info¨!
Seems like I will go for the fan first of all then, and see if I can get it started again.
Thanks for your input
Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by william.ulloa
Hi,

Did you ever figure out how to check the fan. I have the same problem.

Hey!

Did you manage to get a fix for your fan so far?
I am still struggeling with mine. At least I have found out that the fan is working. So it is not getting a proper run-signal for some reason...
Guess I have to bring it to the "stealer"....
Old 08-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how norway works but if you can, get an aftermarket warranty and live with the crappy a/c for a month (they typically wont cover anything for first month) and then go get it fixed and covered under their warranty-atleast in the US that is what I did and got it all fixed for 100 bucks deductible.