E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Air Condition not cooling

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

Oh well, guess I just joined this club.
My A/C was not cooling much lately so I checked the obvious things like idrive, belt, etc.
Took it to the shop for a recharge but it failed to hold the charge.
Had them check the system and guess what, the compressor was shot.
So ?800 later I have cold air again. Woot!
Good thing I had this done since we are headed to Berlin this weekend and we finally have nice weather.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by jehovden
Hello, and thank you for your replies!

Ricracing, maybe you got me wrong with regards to the fan. In fact mine is NOT running while the AC is on. Should this run under AC operation? If this is not running, could that cause such symptoms I am experiencing?

Again, thanks for all feedback!

Yes sir, seems that the sensor is broken.

If the fan don't reply to give "orders", that's it.

The sensor costs about 10 whatever but the changing is a bitch in the E60.

The sensor change work was with the E39 a 10 min job
but in the E60 it takes about 4 - 6 hours.

Luckily I had that f**king sensor changed all E60 times under warranty, the last time with the help of "authority s".
Old 06-06-2010, 03:31 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525D Touring (E61)

Originally Posted by Ricracing
Yes sir, seems that the sensor is broken.

If the fan don't reply to give "orders", that's it.

The sensor costs about 10 whatever but the changing is a bitch in the E60.

The sensor change work was with the E39 a 10 min job
but in the E60 it takes about 4 - 6 hours.

Luckily I had that f**king sensor changed all E60 times under warranty, the last time with the help of "authority s".
Thanks again for your reply Ricracing.

Should this fan be running no matter what the ambient (outside) temperature is? because we have only seen something like 12-15 degr. Celcius here yet... still the sun can make the car very hot on the inside.

Further update:
I hade the system recharged with gas some days ago. This has not made any difference as far as i can notice. Fan still not running, and when I get into the car after work and there is quite hot, still there is not much cooling effect at stand still and engine at idle. As soon as I start driving it cools a little, but not that much.
further I have noticed some kind of humming sound, RPM dependent. Last time this sound occurred I tried turning off the AC... the sound stopped. So it seems like sometimes (but not all the time) AC is producing this odd humming noise... probably not a good sign?

Is there any good and precise way to tell me, or the workshop, that the compressor is faulty? I do not want to pay for a compressor change and then that does not solve the problem. I've paid for such "repairs" more than once at the AD and I am not doing that again.

Some advice for further process in this case would be highly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 535d Msport Auto, Silver, 18" Alloys Engine Remapped - 315 bhp (apparently), Black Badges, Bright white Angels & Fogs, M-Tech Badge Front Grill, rear LCI upgrade

Originally Posted by jehovden
I hade the system recharged with gas some days ago. This has not made any difference as far as i can notice. Fan still not running, and when I get into the car after work and there is quite hot, still there is not much cooling effect at stand still and engine at idle. As soon as I start driving it cools a little, but not that much.
further I have noticed some kind of humming sound, RPM dependent. Last time this sound occurred I tried turning off the AC... the sound stopped. So it seems like sometimes (but not all the time) AC is producing this odd humming noise... probably not a good sign?
Had similar issue, air con not really cold... I assumed my compressor was working fine, just needed to re-gass the system.. SO I did a DIY re-gas (looked easy .. All went fine, but noted as I was re-gassing I heared the compressor kick in.. SO i guess low pressure = no compressor = no cold air con.. now I have good cold air but I have the same humming noise youve experienced.. I now assume that because my system had low pressure for a long time (before I purchased) the compressor has been idle and now its creaking as its being used for the first time in a while... so I am going to try and spray it with some wd40 and see if that helps..
the moral of my story is make sure you have enough pressure in your system, re-gass and make sure you use it often...

also, as you can now also hear the humming I would assume your compressor IS working.. if you have no cold air... then I think I would say your compressor is not working very well.. maybe a trip to dealer
Old 06-09-2010, 02:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rtobin
Had similar issue, air con not really cold... I assumed my compressor was working fine, just needed to re-gass the system.. SO I did a DIY re-gas (looked easy .. All went fine, but noted as I was re-gassing I heared the compressor kick in.. SO i guess low pressure = no compressor = no cold air con.. now I have good cold air but I have the same humming noise youve experienced.. I now assume that because my system had low pressure for a long time (before I purchased) the compressor has been idle and now its creaking as its being used for the first time in a while... so I am going to try and spray it with some wd40 and see if that helps..
the moral of my story is make sure you have enough pressure in your system, re-gass and make sure you use it often...

also, as you can now also hear the humming I would assume your compressor IS working.. if you have no cold air... then I think I would say your compressor is not working very well.. maybe a trip to dealer

Yes, I think I have to agree that the compressor is working, but unfortunately not very well....

Will probably have to take it to the dealer.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 535d Msport Auto, Silver, 18" Alloys Engine Remapped - 315 bhp (apparently), Black Badges, Bright white Angels & Fogs, M-Tech Badge Front Grill, rear LCI upgrade

Hey jehovden,

I have just been trying to locate and sort the whine from my ac.. it appeared to be coming from the big fan behing the cooling radiator at the front of the engine bay.. I have sprayed with lubricant and that "seemed" to quieten it down.. but when I get inside the car and rev the engine gently I can still hear the whine from inside... SO it must be coming from somewhere else... but this does make me think its actually not the compressor making the whine maybe a fan of some kind.. dont know if this helps you but I am going to be doing some more investigation will update if I find anything.. If you have had the whine since you re-gassed like I did then maybe its pressure related? but you still have no cold air.. hmmm... that doesnt help you much sorry...
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Members

Hey jehovden,

I have just been trying to locate and sort the whine from my ac.. it appeared to be coming from the big fan behing the cooling radiator at the front of the engine bay.. I have sprayed with lubricant and that "seemed" to quieten it down.. but when I get inside the car and rev the engine gently I can still hear the whine from inside... SO it must be coming from somewhere else... but this does make me think its actually not the compressor making the whine maybe a fan of some kind.. dont know if this helps you but I am going to be doing some more investigation will update if I find anything.. If you have had the whine since you re-gassed like I did then maybe its pressure related? but you still have no cold air.. hmmm... that doesnt help you much sorry...

Hello Rtobin!

Thanks for your reply.
I had that whining occationally also before regassing, but a lot more now after it was recharged.
What I notice is that if I turn of the A/C with the snow-flake looking button in the car the wining stops. But I am not sure if this is because the compressor is actually stopping or if something else is turned of at the same time. Maybe someone here knows how this is functioning? I think I read something about the compressors on these cars are running all the time (no magnetic clutch) and that cooling on/off is simply regulated by a valve bypassing the coolant if A/C is turned off.
If anyone here could explain to me the actual way the A/C is working on this car i would appreciate it.

Me too will try to investigate and listen carefully to see if I can find the source of the strange sound... crossing my fingers that it is not the compressor.....
Old 06-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535D Invididual, Hartge, M-Sport

Im not sure about this but does the E60 have an extra fan for the condensor?
If the E60 does have the extra fan then this fan stops when you turn the ac of.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Members

Couple of things I have gathered.. the compressor is always on.. it is belt driven by the engine so is always rotating.. there is a secondary fan that is behind the front radiator.. this only come on when the air con is on.. I think to give it extra boost.. it would definatley appear that its not the compressor making the noise..

one issue could be that as we have had the coolant refreshed the increase in pressure could be causing the noise.. maybee we have too much pressure???

also... My air con does not cool my car down when the air vents are off (using manual slection I often put the screen and foot well on full as I hate cold air being blown in my face) this does not produce enough cold air to cool the car.. I have t open the vents to get enough cold blast to get the car cold.. you may want to try this.. if its still not cold then compressor problems maybee?

gonna get under my car tomorrow and try find source of the squeek.. ( I had it washed today and felt very embarrassed at the squeeking )
Old 06-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Members

Couple of things I have gathered.. the compressor is always on.. it is belt driven by the engine so is always rotating.. there is a secondary fan that is behind the front radiator.. this only come on when the air con is on.. I think to give it extra boost.. it would definatley appear that its not the compressor making the noise..

one issue could be that as we have had the coolant refreshed the increase in pressure could be causing the noise.. maybee we have too much pressure???

also... My air con does not cool my car down when the air vents are off (using manual slection I often put the screen and foot well on full as I hate cold air being blown in my face) this does not produce enough cold air to cool the car.. I have t open the vents to get enough cold blast to get the car cold.. you may want to try this.. if its still not cold then compressor problems maybee?

gonna get under my car tomorrow and try find source of the squeek.. ( I had it washed today and felt very embarrassed at the squeeking )
Hello again!

I have just noticed that my fan aft of the radiator in the front is not running when the aircon is on. In fact I have never been able to see this fan run. Even if the car is warm etc.

Is the condenser for the air-con system positioned at the front in the engine room? Together with the radiator for the engine coolant, or? I really wish I new more about cars...

Anyway, anyone know of a DIY check-list to find out something about this fan?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Air Condition not cooling