E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air con odours

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver 2004 e60 executive 530i. Zero mods.

How can I get rid of air con odours? Does BMW here in HK has sprays etc. that can be used or need I bring the car back to them just to fix this?

BTW, after almost 2 years of fixing noises, my 530i finally is quiet. Now it's a great car to drive (ok...still a bit of squeak from the passenger seals).

Got a first taste of the car's handling today....driving at 90-100km on Eastern Corridor towards North Point and the car infront (3 car lengths distance) drove onto a card board. Board flew up and came at me. Instinctly, I swerved the steering wheel a sharp right for split second then swerved it back left to get back to same lane. The car just obeyed and returned to business as usual...no skidding, no over/under steering, no fuss.

And with slightly over 22000km, the whole car seemed to be broken in and it's getting fun to drive.

Went to have a look at the new Mercs two weeks ago...curious as to how they compare with the Bmw. Sat in a E350, and could tell the difference just by closing the door. The E350's door felt light and did not close with a thud. The Bmw's doors are much heavier....you close the door and the whole car shakes. I wonder how the driving experience compare with the 530i....anybody has driven both?

Got a new ding from the Bmw shop in Chaiwan two months ago....seemed like they parked the cars too close and the mechanics don't care. This is irritating...but what can they do? The ding is too small to fix, but can be obvious at certain angles. Sigh.

Oliver
Old 12-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Oliver Hui' post='214946' date='Dec 23 2005, 12:09 PM
How can I get rid of air con odours? Does BMW here in HK has sprays etc. that can be used or need I bring the car back to them just to fix this?

BTW, after almost 2 years of fixing noises, my 530i finally is quiet. Now it's a great car to drive (ok...still a bit of squeak from the passenger seals).

Got a first taste of the car's handling today....driving at 90-100km on Eastern Corridor towards North Point and the car infront (3 car lengths distance) drove onto a card board. Board flew up and came at me. Instinctly, I swerved the steering wheel a sharp right for split second then swerved it back left to get back to same lane. The car just obeyed and returned to business as usual...no skidding, no over/under steering, no fuss.

And with slightly over 22000km, the whole car seemed to be broken in and it's getting fun to drive.

Went to have a look at the new Mercs two weeks ago...curious as to how they compare with the Bmw. Sat in a E350, and could tell the difference just by closing the door. The E350's door felt light and did not close with a thud. The Bmw's doors are much heavier....you close the door and the whole car shakes. I wonder how the driving experience compare with the 530i....anybody has driven both?

Got a new ding from the Bmw shop in Chaiwan two months ago....seemed like they parked the cars too close and the mechanics don't care. This is irritating...but what can they do? The ding is too small to fix, but can be obvious at certain angles. Sigh.

Oliver

Shame about the ding. My dealer has a subcontractor they call the "Ding Doctor". The Ding Doctor has some special devices that can pull out certain types of dings.

I also had a problem with a bad odor in the air conditioning. The dealer disinfected it and it seems much better now.

Cheers
Old 12-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Originally Posted by rmcd' post='215082

Oliver

Shame about the ding. My dealer has a subcontractor they call the "Ding Doctor". The Ding Doctor has some special devices that can pull out certain types of dings.

I also had a problem with a bad odor in the air conditioning. The dealer disinfected it and it seems much better now.

Cheers
[/quote]

Saw on TV what causes this. moisture trapped in the fresh air intakes. Can fic by spraying lysol in the air intakes, at least that it what they said. If the smell really bthers you then you could try to use the reciric mode. Also, I have heard that moisture can get trapped in the filter and the milfew can start there - you may have to have the dealer change the filter.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Oliver Hui' post='214946' date='Dec 23 2005, 09:09 AM

Oliver

Try this.

Before you shut off the car, let the A/C run for about a minute. Then turn off the car. This helps to reduce the moisture in the filters, which decreases the mildew buildup, and hopefully prevents A/C odors the next time you start your car.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Senior Members

I get those nasty odors on my AC as well, especially when I first turn them on .

When I take my car in for service I will have the air filter replaced, if that doesn't get rid of it I will have them check it out.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Originally Posted by Ferdie' post='215106' date='Dec 23 2005, 11:51 PM
I get those nasty odors on my AC as well, especially when I first turn them on .

When I take my car in for service I will have the air filter replaced, if that doesn't get rid of it I will have them check it out.
Got my air filter replaced.....it should solve your problem as it did for me. Also another tip I got from a friend was to always switch your air cons off before switching off the car, dont know if it helps but I am making it a habit now...
Old 12-24-2005, 05:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Oliver Hui' post='214946' date='Dec 23 2005, 07:09 PM
How can I get rid of air con odours?
The hole system needs to to cleaned with such a problem.

Contact your dealer and if the car is new, it should be done under the warranty!