E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Against BMW's recommendation, I changed my oil.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

BMW recommends u pay MSRP.

So do what ever the doctor recommends and be a good patient.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Here is a supporting article from "Autoweek" that will make you think twice about changing your oil at 15,000 miles interval:

VW rec. oil change interval of 5,000 miles

I know that VW doesn't require synthetic, which has much longer life than conventional engine oil. But isn't the cost of an oil change a cheap insurance against sludge?
Old 09-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 15 2005, 03:40 PM
Here is a supporting article from "Autoweek" that will make you think twice about changing your oil at 15,000 miles interval:

VW? rec. oil change interval of 5,000 miles

I know that VW doesn't require synthetic, which has much longer life than conventional engine oil.? But isn't the cost of an oil change a cheap insurance against sludge?
[snapback]171048[/snapback]

Hi there,

Yes, saw this article awhile back. I've heard poor engine design (ineffecient transport of oil around the engine), and heat from turbo charging are key factors leading to oil sludge. Oil sludge is much rarer in bigger displacement and non-turbo motors. Other dangers I've read include operating a car in a harsh climate, and subjecting the engine to frequent start/stop cycles (i.e., frequent and short trips). Not a suprise, leased cars showed higher incident of sludge problems.

I vote for 7.5K between oil changes and for a Michael Moore movie on the subject.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Oh, boy! Another oil-change-frequency thread!

Let's start another one!
Old 09-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ceejay' date='Sep 15 2005, 01:18 AM
More frequent oil changes are simply wasteful of a finite resource.
[snapback]170819[/snapback]

Ok I'm ready for it... but I just want to say it... anyone feel free to yell at me I know I deserve it... but

Awwwwwwwww thats too bad... :'( :'( :'(

Until they get rid of house moms driving SUV to and from school and market burning more finite resources than me and not using the SUV as its intended to be, ie. up the snowy mountain, out off roading or carrying large bikes then I'll burn whatever I want. Argument is SUVs are safe, BA Humbug!
Old 09-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Members

How did you get from misleading and greedy oil cmpanies to school run?

The point was simply the urban myth that is put about by the folks "in the know" and perpetuated by people who think its a good idea is based on greed and not fact.

A bit like saying the only form of health care technique is the one availible in the west - supported by the use of masses of expensive drugs - funnily enough with all of the reasearch into medicine funded by the drugs companies.

You want to waste all of the resources in the US, thats fine.

Just leave the resources in the rest of the world alone.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:54 AM
Members

Just checked the Autoweek article. It says simply that problem is caused by folks ignoring the owners manual and manufacturers service reccomendations...

How it occurs

The letter states that engine oil sludge occurs when old, dirty engine oil thickens and cannot continue to provide correct lubrication. It says the condition occurs primarily when the engine is operated at oil change intervals beyond those prescribed in the owner's manual

From Autoweek article.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:59 AM
Members

BMW recommends u pay MSRP.

So do what ever the doctor recommends and be a good patient
Um, not sure what you mean here. I think you mean 'retail price' but don't see the relevence.

Where in the maintence manual does it reccomend that you pay retail price for things?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:56 AM
Members

My Ride: X3 | 3.0 | 6-speed manual

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 14 2005, 12:22 PM
The reason oil gets dark is because of carbon burnt combining with the lubricating oil.? The thickness of oil comes from condensation (water) inside your cylinder mixing with oil, but did not evaporate due to short trips. Just look at your exhaust fume in the morning, it will be white because the condensation inside of your exhaust system is drying up.
This shows that you know nothing about the chemistry of oil or of gasoline engine combustion.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:48 AM
Taz
Members

My Ride: I have a 2004 E60. It was registered in January 2004. It's a Black Sapphire 530i SE with a few options: - Auto-dim interior + folding exterior mirrors - Automatic gearbox - Bi-Xenon headlights - Bluetooth - Leather interior (Black-Dakota) - Navigation system - business - Service inclusive - Sport steering wheel - Star spoke 124 8Jx18"/9Jx18" + run flats - Top tint windscreen - BMW 6-CD autochanger - Supagard paint treatment - BMW carpet mats

Modern synthetic oils will outlast your oil filters! Most modern synthetics will easily last more than 30,000 miles before they need changing. You will get absolutely no benefit whatsoever if you change your oil sooner than the onboard service interval indicator tells you to. You will merely end up paying for something that you do not need.

I replaced my Porsche Boxster with an E60 and we used to have these types of discussions on the Boxster forums. The bottom line was that even for a car built to be driven very hard, there was no need to change it more frequently than the recommended service intervals.

Quick Reply: Against BMW's recommendation, I changed my oil.