E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Against BMW's recommendation, I changed my oil.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Well, I searched many forums to see whether to change my oil at 8,000 miles. I felt uncomfortable using the same oil BMW factory poured in back in October 2004 in Dingolfing. So I bought 10 quart of Mobil 1 5W-30 from Walmart and oil filter from Bavauto. It cost me $55 in parts alone. I figure this way is still cheaper than $85 the dealer charges for an oil change, plus, it gives me some quality bonding time with my car.

Long story short, I couldn't move my car up the steel ramp because the front tire were too wide and the front bumper did not clear the slope. After many failed, but creative attempts to get under the car, I gave up. I brought the oil and the filter to my mechanic, whom charged me $22 labor to replace the oil

When he drained the oil out, he stucked a white sheet of paper under the flow of oil to show me how dirty the oil was. The oil was Soy-Sauce black coming out the drain hole, and looked dark brown when stuck to the white paper. The consistency was very thick. Much thicker than the fresh oil we poured in.

Right after the oil change, I noticed, or felt that the engine was a bit looser. I don't think it was psycological because my mileage went up 0.8 miles per gallon. I don't care about the mileage gain, but I now think BMW's 15,000 miles oil change is ridiculously too long. My service still indicate 6,000 miles until next oil change, and I don't think those oil could of made it for another 6,000 miles.

Do you guys still think 15,000 miles per oil change is adequate?
Old 09-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 13 2005, 10:34 AM
Well, I searched many forums to see whether to change my oil at 8,000 miles.? I felt uncomfortable using the same oil BMW factory poured in back in October 2004 ? in Dingolfing.? So I bought 10 quart of Mobil 1 5W-30 from Walmart and oil filter from Bavauto.? It cost me $55 in parts alone.? I figure this way is still cheaper than $85 the dealer charges for an oil change, plus, it gives me some quality bonding time with my car.

Long story short, I couldn't move my car up the steel ramp because the front tire were too wide and the front bumper did not clear the slope.? After many failed, but creative attempts to get under the car, I gave up.? I brought the oil and the filter to my mechanic, whom charged me $22 labor to replace the oil

When he drained the oil out, he stucked a white sheet of paper under the flow of oil to show me how dirty the oil was.? The oil was Soy-Sauce black coming out the drain hole, and looked dark brown when stuck to the white paper.? The consistency was very thick.? Much thicker than the fresh oil we poured in.

Right after the oil change, I noticed, or felt that the engine was a bit looser.? I don't think it was psycological because my mileage went up 0.8 miles per gallon.? I don't care about the mileage gain, but I now think BMW's 15,000 miles oil change is ridiculously too long.? My service still indicate 6,000 miles until next oil change, and I don't think those oil could of made it for another 6,000 miles.

[snapback]170015[/snapback]

Did you consider 0W-40 Mobil 1?

I'm not an oil expert, but oil should appear very black as the detergents take dirt and carbon away from engine parts. You can check oil quality by smearing it on your fingers and feeling for particles that feel hard.

In general, I think the recommended oil change intervals from the German manfacturers are too lenghty. Their mindset is the environment, as many in the U.S. think nothing of needlessly disposing dirty oil every 3K. I'd follow the BMW guidance, particuarly the first oil change cycle. As the mileage grows, I'd start with more frequent changes, i.e., 7.5K to 5K.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I always have the oil/filter changed after break in, and after that, midway between manufacturer's recommended interval (on my dime--tell them to not reset service indicator). Small price to pay. It's not just the oil that I don't believe should go 15,000 mies--it's also the filter.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Too many mechanics told me to change oil every 3000 miles, I didn't trust them at first, I think they just want to make money by changing oil frequently. After one of the mechanic show me the difference between new oil and oil after 4000 miles on my ex-Mercedes (MB require oil change every 12,000 miles). The answer is right in front of me.

Although I am not going to change every 3000 miles on my new Bimmer, but I definitely will change the oil once between each 15,000 miles interval.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

Today i visited my dealer to ask him about the oil change and for some parts...anyway he told me:

"what? never heard of oil change after brake-in! there is no reason to change the oil till bmw says so! don't you think if it would be good to the engine and for the car in general wouldn't bmw say smth in the manual? they don't want u know...broken engines or stuff like that...and plus i am a dealer and could esili make some bucks for charging the oil change easily but IT IS NOT REQUIRED! BMW Munich would smack us badly if it finds out that we encourage the frequent oil changes based on some lies, just to make some extra$$!!! And those oils especially Castrol TXT LL04 (what i need) are syntehtic oils that start to work properly and protect after 4-5000km"

In short terms that's almost the way he talked to me! of course i'll probably do it later between service schedules. I have only 3000km.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

The oil color has very little to do with the need for replacement. If it's gray or pitch black, then you should be concerned, but even really dark brown is not necessarily bad. It's the chemicals that build up in it and the break-down of the long hydrocarbon chains that determine if it is "dirty". You need a lab test to determine this.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Sep 13 2005, 01:54 PM
The oil color has very little to do with the need for replacement.? If it's gray or pitch black, then you should be concerned, but even really dark brown is not necessarily bad.? It's the chemicals that build up in it and the break-down of the long hydrocarbon chains that determine if it is "dirty".? You need a lab test to determine this.
[snapback]170079[/snapback]
I hate chemistry but i agree!

Anyway doesn anybody know why diesels are called oil burners? I had a test done and i drove my car quite hard and than removed slowly the oil cap and quite alot of smoke came out...and for quite some time at least 15 minutes. Does the same thing happen to gas engines? I mean the oil heats up just as much?
Old 09-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Sure, I'd like to save a few bucks by not changing the oil that often. I think 3,000 miles is too soon, but 7,500 miles or 12,000 km sounds OK. Also, if you drive mostly freeways and 100+ miles a day, I think you would be OK to go 15,000 miles between oil changes. In my case, the original oil was in my engine for 10 months already, so I think it's time to change.

I didn't go with 0W40 because the manual says 5W, so I will do as it says.

I swear that my car feels looser (better lubricated) in a sense, where the engine seems to rev more freely after the oil change. Perhaps 5W-30 was thinner than what BMW puts in my car 10 month ago?
The weight of the oil makes a lot of difference. I once put 20W-50 in my 600cc Honda CBR600F4i per a friends recommendation. I changed the oil back to 10W-30 3 days later because the engine did not turn as freely as before. My bike has 15,000 RPM redline.

I don't know the long term implication of using the thinnest allowable oil in your car, but I plan to ask the dealer what oil they will use in customer's cars.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 13 2005, 07:34 AM
Well, I searched many forums to see whether to change my oil at 8,000 miles.? I felt uncomfortable using the same oil BMW factory poured in back in October 2004 ? in Dingolfing.? So I bought 10 quart of Mobil 1 5W-30 from Walmart and oil filter from Bavauto.? It cost me $55 in parts alone.? I figure this way is still cheaper than $85 the dealer charges for an oil change, plus, it gives me some quality bonding time with my car.

Long story short, I couldn't move my car up the steel ramp because the front tire were too wide and the front bumper did not clear the slope.? After many failed, but creative attempts to get under the car, I gave up.? I brought the oil and the filter to my mechanic, whom charged me $22 labor to replace the oil

When he drained the oil out, he stucked a white sheet of paper under the flow of oil to show me how dirty the oil was.? The oil was Soy-Sauce black coming out the drain hole, and looked dark brown when stuck to the white paper.? The consistency was very thick.? Much thicker than the fresh oil we poured in.

Right after the oil change, I noticed, or felt that the engine was a bit looser.? I don't think it was psycological because my mileage went up 0.8 miles per gallon.? I don't care about the mileage gain, but I now think BMW's 15,000 miles oil change is ridiculously too long.? My service still indicate 6,000 miles until next oil change, and I don't think those oil could of made it for another 6,000 miles.

[snapback]170015[/snapback]
When it comes to oil changes and types - opinions are like xxxx, everybody has one. I change mine every 7500 and got the original oil out at 1250. I have changed my oil 2x what the factory recommends and have run my engines up to 200k with the same oil consumption as I have had since new.

FYI: I used my BMW jack to change my oil the first time. Probably not recommended but it is pretty stout. Since then, I made a block for my floor jack that fits into the jacking spot of the car.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Sep 13 2005, 03:22 PM
FYI:? I used my BMW jack to change my oil the first time.? Probably not recommended but it is pretty stout.? Since then, I made a block for my floor jack that fits into the jacking spot of the car.
[snapback]170129[/snapback]
I am very afraid of getting under a car suspended only by a jack

15 years ago, my next door neighbor was working under his VW Golf suspended only with the jack. Sure enough, the car came down on him which crushed his skull and rib bones. I called 911 and the ambulance came 3 minutes later to halt him away. He died 7 days later in the hospital.

My autoshop class taught us never to trust the car's jack, but I didn't come to realization until this accident. Now, I can't get under a car without knowing for sure, if the car is being suspended by ramps or blocks. Not even hydraulic jack will do.

Quick Reply: Against BMW's recommendation, I changed my oil.