E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Against BMW's recommendation, I changed my oil.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 13 2005, 04:54 PM
[quote name='jsal' date='Sep 13 2005, 03:22 PM']FYI:? I used my BMW jack to change my oil the first time.? Probably not recommended but it is pretty stout.? Since then, I made a block for my floor jack that fits into the jacking spot of the car.
[snapback]170129[/snapback]
I am very afraid of getting under a car suspended only by a jack

15 years ago, my next door neighbor was working under his VW Golf suspended only with the jack. Sure enough, the car came down on him which crushed his skull and rib bones. I called 911 and the ambulance came 3 minutes later to halt him away. He died 7 days later in the hospital.

My autoshop class taught us never to trust the car's jack, but I didn't come to realization until this accident. Now, I can't get under a car without knowing for sure, if the car is being suspended by ramps or blocks. Not even hydraulic jack will do.
[snapback]170141[/snapback]
[/quote]

I use two jackstands (which come with any decent floor jack) when changing the oil. Just gotta be careful. Its good bonding time with your car.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:11 AM
Members

Sure, I'd like to save a few bucks by not changing the oil that often. I think 3,000 miles is too soon, but 7,500 miles or 12,000 km sounds OK. Also, if you drive mostly freeways and 100+ miles a day, I think you would be OK to go 15,000 miles between oil changes. In my case, the original oil was in my engine for 10 months already, so I think it's time to change.
Are you saying its based on your feeling that it should be changed and not any technical reason?

I didn't go with 0W40 because the manual says 5W, so I will do as it says.
But the manual says change when the service light says so, so why ignore that and not the specification for the oil?

I can't see the logic of going against squillions of euro's spent in BMW reasearch and testing that have developed the car in the first place. Why should the manufacturer not recommend the correct procedures for maintenece?

Its not the colour of the oil - its the chemical composition. If you took your oil out after 500 miles it would look exactly the same as it does after 15000 miles, but would you think this is the right change interval?

The weight of the oil makes a lot of difference. I once put 20W-50 in my 600cc Honda CBR600F4i per a friends recommendation. I changed the oil back to 10W-30 3 days later because the engine did not turn as freely as before.
I can imagine the poor thing hardly turning over!! Again, just because the bike reccomendation is every 4000 miles doesnt mean it follows for the car. Any sports bike engine will rev more thatn the car - by a factor of 2-3 - so it stands to reason that the moving parts cover 2-3 times more distance in the engine,run hotter, and hence will degrade the oil 2-3 times quicker...... I run my Fireblade now on semi synthetic as the full synthetic was not recommended by Honda. My previous 'blade ran on castrol R4 superbike semi synthetic.

I am just interested in the reasons you choose to ignore manufacturers instructions on the recommended oil/change intervals. For sure the machines of 20-30 years ago may have benefited - but then oil wasn't as good, filters not as effective, and machined parts not to the same tolerence...........

If its based on technical reasons - I gotta know cos I'm doing it wrong!
Old 09-14-2005, 04:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i YM2005, Gray exterior beige nascar interior, tiptronic, comfort & active seats, Prof NAV, Active steering, adaptive lighting, professional car telephone, alloy wheels 18" Model 124, run flat tyres and Logic 7 sound system.

I agree with ceejay, why we ignore the manufacturer recommendations. They know what they made and when it should be maintained better than anyone else
Old 09-14-2005, 05:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Xenon, Sport, Premium, Automatic, Logic 7, Orient Blue & Auburn Dakota Leather with Dark Poplar Wood Trim

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 13 2005, 09:34 AM
Well, I searched many forums to see whether to change my oil at 8,000 miles.? I felt uncomfortable using the same oil BMW factory poured in back in October 2004 ? in Dingolfing.? So I bought 10 quart of Mobil 1 5W-30 from Walmart and oil filter from Bavauto.? It cost me $55 in parts alone.? I figure this way is still cheaper than $85 the dealer charges for an oil change, plus, it gives me some quality bonding time with my car.

Right after the oil change, I noticed, or felt that the engine was a bit looser.? I don't think it was psycological because my mileage went up 0.8 miles per gallon.? I don't care about the mileage gain, but I now think BMW's 15,000 miles oil change is ridiculously too long.? My service still indicate 6,000 miles until next oil change, and I don't think those oil could of made it for another 6,000 miles.

Do you guys still think 15,000 miles per oil change is adequate?
[snapback]170015[/snapback]
I've been changing my oil every 10k miles with Mobil 5w-30 full synthetic since 1994. Not a single problem with the engines of (92-96) Honda Civic Si, (96-99) Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo and (99-2005) 2 BMW series 3.

Changing the oil between 7.5k and 10k miles is what i consider to be the best interval. I drive 80% highway miles so that's why i do it every 10k
Old 09-14-2005, 05:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Maybe it will help enginelife on the longterm. But I'm not planning to keep my car 10+ year so I don't care if the engine will work properly 12 or 20 years...
Old 09-14-2005, 05:54 AM
Senior Members

Is this some sort of conspiracy therory?

Let's say, hypothetically, that BMW tells you to get the oil changed every 15k miles because they want to save cash on their free maintenance plan. Then, let's suppose the oil should actually be changed every 3k miles, causing the engines in thousands of e60's to critically malfunction between 50k and 100k miles, therefore critically impairing their resale value and making BMW customers extremely mad and making potential BMW customers not want to buy cars. BMW customers then start to buy Mercedes and Audi. That wouldn't be overly smart. Why would you intentionally set maintenance standards that would impair the value and reliability of your cars?

Maybe, instead, motor oil manufacturers have been misleading us for all these years, because they want us to frantically run to the store every other Sunday, in our greasy t-shirts and cut-off jeans, and buy 5 quarts of oil?

Just a thought.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' date='Sep 14 2005, 08:54 AM
Is this some sort of conspiracy therory?

Let's say, hypothetically, that BMW tells you to get the oil changed every 15k miles because they want to save cash on their free maintenance plan.? ? Then, let's suppose the oil should actually be changed every 3k miles, causing the engines in thousands of e60's to critically malfunction between 50k and 100k miles, therefore critically impairing their resale value and making BMW customers extremely mad and making potential BMW customers not want to buy cars.? BMW customers then start to buy Mercedes and Audi.? ? That wouldn't be overly smart.? ? Why would you intentionally set maintenance standards that would impair the value and reliability of your cars??

Maybe, instead, motor oil manufacturers have been misleading us for all these years, because they want us to frantically run to the store every other Sunday, in our greasy t-shirts and cut-off jeans, and buy 5 quarts of oil?

Just a thought.
[snapback]170405[/snapback]
Exactly! The main ideea of that text in the exact way to think and act...but everyone does what they want... <_<
Old 09-14-2005, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

And btw only americans get the free meintenance programme...correct me if i'm wrong! so under that perepective USA is only a bit of the entire bmw market. So the rule does no longer appply (to save money from the free meintenance).

SOOOO can anyone give a SOLID reason why bmw would misslead all it's customers? I think not...
Old 09-14-2005, 06:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

If you'd waited one more month, the dealer would have done it for free under the full maintenance program. Oil has to be replaced annually regardless of mileage.

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 13 2005, 08:34 AM
Well, I searched many forums to see whether to change my oil at 8,000 miles.? I felt uncomfortable using the same oil BMW factory poured in back in October 2004 ? in Dingolfing.? So I bought 10 quart of Mobil 1 5W-30 from Walmart and oil filter from Bavauto.? It cost me $55 in parts alone.? I figure this way is still cheaper than $85 the dealer charges for an oil change, plus, it gives me some quality bonding time with my car.

Long story short, I couldn't move my car up the steel ramp because the front tire were too wide and the front bumper did not clear the slope.? After many failed, but creative attempts to get under the car, I gave up.? I brought the oil and the filter to my mechanic, whom charged me $22 labor to replace the oil

When he drained the oil out, he stucked a white sheet of paper under the flow of oil to show me how dirty the oil was.? The oil was Soy-Sauce black coming out the drain hole, and looked dark brown when stuck to the white paper.? The consistency was very thick.? Much thicker than the fresh oil we poured in.

Right after the oil change, I noticed, or felt that the engine was a bit looser.? I don't think it was psycological because my mileage went up 0.8 miles per gallon.? I don't care about the mileage gain, but I now think BMW's 15,000 miles oil change is ridiculously too long.? My service still indicate 6,000 miles until next oil change, and I don't think those oil could of made it for another 6,000 miles.

Do you guys still think 15,000 miles per oil change is adequate?
[snapback]170015[/snapback]
Old 09-14-2005, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by Robert A' date='Sep 14 2005, 08:14 AM
If you'd waited one more month, the dealer would have done it for free under the full maintenance program.? Oil has to be replaced annually regardless of mileage.

No, the dealer told me that what i-drive says, goes. So, another 6,000 miles to go, or in my case, another 7 months. Maybe my dealer was pulling my legs, but I didn't like the idea of 18 month oil change interval.

Quick Reply: Against BMW's recommendation, I changed my oil.