E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

After wheel balancing, shake continues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 12:54 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60

i have the same problem for a while. mostly from 60-75mph. changed rotors, wheels and tires, all control arms, sway bar links and bushings, coilovers, tranny mounts and still have the vibration. the vibration is not from the steering wheel, feels more like from under the front and rear seats.

Im going to have the drive shaft removed to check if its unbalanced and i can finally resolve this.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:06 PM
New Members

My Ride: 08 550i
Model Year: 2008

did you ever figure it out????
Old 08-30-2015, 07:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530i
Smile

Originally Posted by DILLESTJAMZ
So im in this infamous +60mph Shake/vibration, i have replaced my thrust arm(Upper control arms) replaced my front passenger shock, put in new wheels (Style 95's 19x9,19x10 rear) they all have 7/32+ tread on all tires i believe the fronts are 12/32 treads... anyways, I've gotten all the wheel balanced... the guys put it on a lift this is another shop from where i usually take my e60 to since they do wheels and tires here... they put it on the lift everything checks out "really good and in great shape" all wheels were balanced again and i still have that vibration my steering wheel does not shake simply light vibration but the car shakes front passenger seat shakes... What is wrong guys? any suggestions?
I had the exact same issue with mine. The problem: front bushes and control arms worn, coupled with an out of round tyre which was kickstarting the movement. Once the tyre set the tone, the bushes couldn't fight back

Changed the suspension components and the vibration went away almost completely, then they told me that the from tyre is out of round. I changed that too and all sweet now.

Hope it helps
Old 09-01-2015, 04:45 PM
New Members

I've noticed that the AWD system is extremely sensitive to tires being the same size. I had a similar vibration issue which went away after I replaced and road-force balanced all four tires. Make sure to keep up with tire rotations so everything wears evenly.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:07 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: E60 M54

Hub centric rings.. Fleebay
Old 11-17-2015, 08:54 AM
Members

There seems to be several tracks within this discussion. I believe the original problem here was associated with steady-state motion down the highway, as opposed to braking or acceleration. I had an interesting problem years ago with a "tremor" through my car at highway speed. It was a 1979 MB 450SL. Changed tires several times, wheels once, and many associated balancings, over the course of several years, to no avail.

While watching MOTORWEEK on TV, Pat Goss discussed the need for "fine balancing" of tire/wheels. He mentioned that most shops don't really get the balancing close enough, with the result being vibration, and something to the effect that some cars are more sensitive than others. Soooo, I took my car to his shop here in Maryland and had him do his "fine balancing" on my tires/wheels. PROBLEM SOLVED. Car rode like it was on glass. Have never had such a problem since on any car/truck, after this close tolerance balancing, which I always have done at his shop.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: E60 M54

Old car + old rims = muck on your hubs and rims, and vibration.
Change the tires , buy new rims, .... Vibration. ( look at the surface of your hub and run your finger
From end to end).

Clean your hubs and rim interior with brake cleaner and steel wool. Install a set of hub-centric
Rings ( get the aluminum version for few bucks extra, plastic ones work but won't last after you remove them a few times)

If you still have a vibration at this point only then should you begin looking at more expensive
Components to replace . I unfortunately did things in reverse until I shelled out the $16.00 bucks
For the aluminum rings that addressed the vibration issues 110%. Mind you I had 2 separate
Repair shops tell me " your suspension is all f--k up", the shop said I needed new bearings and
Bushings. Give it a shot..
Old 04-15-2016, 07:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i
Default Vibration on tires

Originally Posted by DILLESTJAMZ
I am considering new tires they make that thump whenever I'm reversing or make a sharp left or right turn under 10mph
How you doing DillestJamz!! Just wondering,did you ever solved your tire vibration issue? If you did,what did you do? I have the same problem with my 285/25/20 tires and i tried everything like you did but still no luck. My last 2 options are road force balance and allignment. Really hate to buy new tires or having a bent rim.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:11 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i
Default Vibration on tires

Originally Posted by AlexanderE60
i have the same problem for a while. mostly from 60-75mph. changed rotors, wheels and tires, all control arms, sway bar links and bushings, coilovers, tranny mounts and still have the vibration. the vibration is not from the steering wheel, feels more like from under the front and rear seats.

Im going to have the drive shaft removed to check if its unbalanced and i can finally resolve this.
Hello Alexander!!! Did you resolve your vibration issue by any chance?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

ITS YOUR NEW WHEELS BRO. Get rid of them

Quick Reply: After wheel balancing, shake continues!!!