E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 4,800 miles finally had it with iDrive

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

oh .. and i still don't have my car back yet. still driving a lincoln towncar from ?enterprise. ran up nearly 2K miles on it so far. have to gas up 2 times within 3 days though - damn thirsty car. BMW is going to hear about that from me too ... once my car gets released back to me ... from this "1 to 2 day scheduled/promised service" that has so far taken 12 days.
since november first of '04 (when i signed the lease) - BMW has had my car for nearly, if not more than 40 days already -i'll have to dig up the previous service records to find the exact amount of days.

i am not even looking forward to getting the car back anymore at this point.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='May 1 2005, 09:44 PM
oh .. and i still don't have my car back yet. still driving a lincoln towncar from ?enterprise. ran up nearly 2K miles on it so far. have to gas up 2 times within 3 days though - damn thirsty car. BMW is going to hear about that from me too ... once my car gets released back to me ... from this "1 to 2 day scheduled/promised service" that has so far taken 12 days.
since november first of '04 (when i signed the lease) - BMW has had my car for nearly, if not more than 40 days already -i'll have to dig up the previous service records to find the exact amount of days.

i am not even looking forward to getting the car back anymore at this point.
[snapback]122758[/snapback]
Seems like the dealer ought to put u in a new E60. Ur 40 days smells and looks like lemon law. But dealer ought to cut his losses and get u into a new E60 to keep u and other potential customers happy. I do not know the ratio of lemons, but it seems when a car is bad it is REALLY bad and no amount of upgrades and parts replacements cure it, of course with the rare exceptions. I would let them know this is the route they ought to go to keep u in the BMW camp.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

make that 13 days & counting.

i wish i could do lemon law, HOWEVER lemonlaw requires it to be something substancial that .... deals with the safety of the car/passengers. now the idrive so far is considered a nuisance.

BMW even admitted to my idrive not behaving normal, and them being at fault, however they classify the constant crashes/reboots/freezes & the slowness of it an "annoyance" rather than anything else.

now if my computer constantly freezes, and my nav don't work, and i get lost in the GHETTO ... would you not consider that a safetly issue? or if the ventilation goes on high, scarring the crap out of you, or even the radio/entertainment center starting/stoping by itself & maxing the volume on its own while driving?!
Old 05-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

maybe the saga will come to an end sometime soon. Wish me luck.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Senior Members

The florida lemon law states it must have a substantial defect to the safty or "Value" of the car. You car is worth less cause the i-drive is broken. It is enough to lemon it. Send your vehical defect notification to bmw and the surgon general.

Read the first line here http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/4492d7...33;OpenDocument

And for the defect notification:
http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/4492d7...33;OpenDocument

And their main page:
http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/0/5F1D...B4?OpenDocument

Florida hasa nice lemon law.

P.S. Your passed the required amount of day to notify them. After you notify them and they scedual and appointment they only have a few days to repair the i-drive to proper condition. If it fail again you request arbitration thorugh the BBB i believe (dont know if bmw participates) if not is better, and they will most likely settle to aviod costs and publicity. Call their hotline, they guys there are very good.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

eventhought BMW agreed to buy it back/trade up for a new one .... think i should still send in the papers for the lemon law & notify them?
Old 05-06-2005, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

luckily i have NEVER had to do this, and hope i won't ever have to again ... so any help/hints are appreciated.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:45 AM
Members

My Ride: X3 | 3.0 | 6-speed manual

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='May 6 2005, 08:58 AM
eventhought BMW agreed to buy it back/trade up for a new one .... think i should still send in the papers for the lemon law & notify them?
[snapback]124853[/snapback]
If you have no claim under the Lemon Law (which you don't, as BMW is replacing the car for you), there is no reason to send in the notification paperwork to BMW.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Members

I have owned my 545 for a little over a week and have put about 500 miles on the clock. Before purchasing the car I was a little nervous about iDrive based on all the negative things I have read from just about every English speaking magazine in the world.
I have to say that in less than a week I became totally comfortable with and fluent in iDrive usage.
I, for one, can't understand what the big deal is. If it was riddled with problems, crashed constantly etc...then I could maybe get on the idrive bashing bus, but so far I am not only pleased with the concept overall, but find it a much better way to organize control over the car's various electronics than a myriad of buttons all over the dash.
When I bought my previous gen E39 5 series in 2002, I marveled at having a power adjustable headrest!!! I remember showing the feature off to friends and family members with a "For my next trick.....watch THIS" type or presentation.

Man...how far BMW has gone in just one model generation.

My name is Stu Carter...and I love iDrive!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Apr 23 2005, 09:27 PM
My car is in the shop ONCE AGAIN for reprogramming, and the seat (issue), as well as the 3rd time its getting the window seals replaced .. for rattle.

I am about ready to trade it - i found a nice '05 Cayenne & a nice '04 E500 wagen - at a broker that would be willing to trade.

ONCE AGAIN, i must state my personal experience with my first BMW:
I ABSOLUTELY HATE the iDrive due to the "bugs" (if you want to call them), or simply issues - which is very unfortunate, because the car itself is very solid. Yes i have had the rattle that has been driving me absolutely crazy, however the car is very solid, drives awesome, and is nicely finished (interior).

Its just that i spend a good 4 hours in my car everyday, running through different parts of town(s), going to different addresses, where i need NAV almost everytime. I also spend a good 1+ hour(s) on my cellphone during these drives. The SLOW response of the iDrive since the first update is just ruining the entire experience, along with the crashing, and freezes, + the radio "lockouts" since the last update - where the radio will be on FULL volume when i turn the car on, and NOT allow me to turn it down/adjust it at all - NOT even turn it off. (every 10th time or so)

The car went back into the shop on tuesday, after for the 2nd time The Restraint System Failure came on again, while i had a full car, going to meetings all day, with people in the car. Since tuesday I have been driving a Lincoln Towncar.
The service adviser also seemed rather concerned witht eh fact that my car has 9,500 miles on it, and is requesting to be taken in for its (15,000) first Oil Change.

Like i said ... the car is very nice, and I'd "LOVE" it - if it weren't for the iDrive. such a turn off on this $60K car.

--marco
[snapback]119285[/snapback]

Good luck with Mercedes. Their command is just as full of bugs as I-drive. Not to mention actual mechanical problems.

The issues that you are describing also happens on my W211 commands (try replaced audio gateway that would overheat causing command to disable CD changer, phone, Navi, radio. Statics from head unit, AM/FM are mixed together- heck who is listening to AM, failed air matic, SBC brake recall, mysterious electrical power drain......).

Like i said good luck with W211.

Quick Reply: After 4,800 miles finally had it with iDrive