E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

After 4,800 miles finally had it with iDrive

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 05:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by niktee' date='Apr 19 2005, 06:36 AM
[quote name='BlackBear' date='Apr 19 2005, 12:05 AM']iDrive was a bad experience before last week's "UPGRADE".? Now, with Version 15.xy, it is even slower.

When I turn the key the car waits one to two seconds before it decides that I want to start the motor for real and then turns over the starter.

It now PLINGS at random times for no reason apparant to me while I'm driving.?

The service experience was pretty painful.? It took almost two hours to drop of the car. Most of it waiting and watching THE PRICE IS RIGHT.?

They told me they could not get it done in one day and would keep it over night. I said "not a problem I got other cars to drive".? After it was all said and done it had been 15 days and the adaptive breaklights still don't work.

So, if someone pays $65K for the car, and has a billing rate of $250/h - or even only $100/h - I think the car just has to perform without any problems for the first year. That's what I pay for, reliable basic transportation.

Can you imagine owning one of these iDrive cars after the warranty? expired? They spent 38 hours on my car. Multiply that by $100/hour or more.? Not a pretty # if you are on the wrong side of the transaction.
[snapback]117012[/snapback]
That is the point I've been making for quite some time. Can you imagine the ownership experience some poor schmuck is going to have when he purchaces one of these cars three/four/five years down the road? I sure hope there are no guns available to them. I'm not talking about just I-drive. How about the DSC/ACTIVE STEERING/ARS/.....AND EVERY ONE OF THE HUNDREDS OF COMPUTERIZED/ELECTRONIC FUNCTIONS THAT WILL INEVITABLY GO SOUTH AS THE CAR AGES. Poor bastards.
[snapback]117104[/snapback]
[/quote]
I strongly disagree. Software (which are just 1's and 0's) doesn't break, machines do break. Every car on the road today (except for the Lada) has lots of computers, and their software will run longer than the mechical components of the car ...

Now, will the computers last, who knows, but when we will have to replace them, they will be x times faster than what we have today, but they will still run that same software ...
Old 04-19-2005, 05:35 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Apr 19 2005, 08:26 AM
[quote name='niktee' date='Apr 19 2005, 06:36 AM'][quote name='BlackBear' date='Apr 19 2005, 12:05 AM']iDrive was a bad experience before last week's "UPGRADE".? Now, with Version 15.xy, it is even slower.

When I turn the key the car waits one to two seconds before it decides that I want to start the motor for real and then turns over the starter.

The service experience was pretty painful.? It took almost two hours to drop of the car. Most of it waiting and watching THE PRICE IS RIGHT.?

They told me they could not get it done in one day and would keep it over night. I said "not a problem I got other cars to drive".? After it was all said and done it had been 15 days and the adaptive breaklights still don't work.

So, if someone pays $65K for the car, and has a billing rate of $250/h - or even only $100/h - I think the car just has to perform without any problems for the first year. That's what I pay for, reliable basic transportation.

Can you imagine owning one of these iDrive cars after the warranty? expired? They spent 38 hours on my car. Multiply that by $100/hour or more.? Not a pretty # if you are on the wrong side of the transaction.
That is the point I've been making for quite some time. Can you imagine the ownership experience some poor schmuck is going to have when he purchaces one of these cars three/four/five years down the road? I sure hope there are no guns available to them. I'm not talking about just I-drive. How about the DSC/ACTIVE STEERING/ARS/.....AND EVERY ONE OF THE HUNDREDS OF COMPUTERIZED/ELECTRONIC FUNCTIONS THAT WILL INEVITABLY GO SOUTH AS THE CAR AGES. Poor bastards.
[/quote]
I strongly disagree. Software (which are just 1's and 0's) doesn't break, machines do break. Every car on the road today (except for the Lada) has lots of computers, and their software will run longer than the mechical components of the car ...

Now, will the computers last, who knows, but when we will have to replace them, they will be x times faster than what we have today, but they will still run that same software ...
[snapback]117116[/snapback]
[/quote]
I understand....However, I'm looking at the cost to own and maintain the vehicle as a used car, after the warranty has expired. It will be a nightmare in time and cost to diagnose and replace parts in the long run.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by niktee' date='Apr 19 2005, 07:35 AM
[quote name='Canada545' date='Apr 19 2005, 08:26 AM'][quote name='niktee' date='Apr 19 2005, 06:36 AM'][quote name='BlackBear' date='Apr 19 2005, 12:05 AM']iDrive was a bad experience before last week's "UPGRADE".? Now, with Version 15.xy, it is even slower.

[/quote]

[snapback]117116[/snapback]
[/quote]
I understand....However, I'm looking at the cost to own and maintain the vehicle as a used car, after the warranty has expired. It will be a nightmare in time and cost to diagnose and replace parts in the long run.
[snapback]117120[/snapback]
[/quote]
Unless you plan to ride a horse, you'll have that same concern about every "high end" car in the marketplace ... I remember my Dad saying he won't purchase a car that he couldn't fix himself (plugs, timing, oil, etc), that wasn't that long ago. Now, I won't want a car that I could fix myself
Old 04-19-2005, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

I will agree with one thing, Bear: You'd be absolutely insane to own a 2004 outside of warranty.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Well.... there is no chance in HELL I am going to own an iDrive car after 50,000 miles... unless I get extended warranty.

But... that's why my name is on the M5 list. By the time my car gets to that 50,000 mile point... I should be able to get my M.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by BlackBear' date='Apr 19 2005, 05:09 AM
I'll revisit the BMW's offerings when they start offering cars that have NO iDrive.
[snapback]116988[/snapback]
That will NEVER happen!

And as a matter of fact you will find similar systems in EVERY car VERY soon!
Cars are too complex today. Too many stuff to manage. A computer is needed! Call it command or MMI...

Maybe the next generation of iDrive will satisfy you more, I sure hope so, because nothing drives like a BMW and it's very sad that you are selling a "drivers" car because you are not satisfied with iDrive. Anyways, if you are that unhappy you are doing the right thing if you sell the car.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBear' date='Apr 19 2005, 12:05 AM

Sounds like you have a problem with the service dept at the dealership you used. As an initial matter, your assumption that someone was working on your car for every hour of every day it was out of your use is just wrong -- the BMW SA told me that they hook your car up to a computer to perform the software updates and this computer runs unattended for several hours (the SA said that the software update should complete in no less than 4 hours, unless there is some problem during the update process).

Having your car for 15 days for a simple software update reeks of service incompetence, which I am sad to say is all too common for BMW dealerships nowadays (I've been to 3 different dealers in SoCal and all of them have had to keep my car for several days for software upgrades). These cars have such advanced technology today that it is impossible for the mechanics at dealerships to develop immediate repair/upgrade expertise on every new model, so they end up "learning by doing" at the owners time and inconvenience. BMWNA needs to address this problem immediately.

I'm sorry to hear you have had such a poor ownership experience with your e60 and now want to sell it. Best of luck to you with whatever other car you intend to replace your e60 with.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

My car is in the shop ONCE AGAIN for reprogramming, and the seat (issue), as well as the 3rd time its getting the window seals replaced .. for rattle.

I am about ready to trade it - i found a nice '05 Cayenne & a nice '04 E500 wagen - at a broker that would be willing to trade.

ONCE AGAIN, i must state my personal experience with my first BMW:
I ABSOLUTELY HATE the iDrive due to the "bugs" (if you want to call them), or simply issues - which is very unfortunate, because the car itself is very solid. Yes i have had the rattle that has been driving me absolutely crazy, however the car is very solid, drives awesome, and is nicely finished (interior).

Its just that i spend a good 4 hours in my car everyday, running through different parts of town(s), going to different addresses, where i need NAV almost everytime. I also spend a good 1+ hour(s) on my cellphone during these drives. The SLOW response of the iDrive since the first update is just ruining the entire experience, along with the crashing, and freezes, + the radio "lockouts" since the last update - where the radio will be on FULL volume when i turn the car on, and NOT allow me to turn it down/adjust it at all - NOT even turn it off. (every 10th time or so)

The car went back into the shop on tuesday, after for the 2nd time The Restraint System Failure came on again, while i had a full car, going to meetings all day, with people in the car. Since tuesday I have been driving a Lincoln Towncar.
The service adviser also seemed rather concerned witht eh fact that my car has 9,500 miles on it, and is requesting to be taken in for its (15,000) first Oil Change.

Like i said ... the car is very nice, and I'd "LOVE" it - if it weren't for the iDrive. such a turn off on this $60K car.

--marco
Old 04-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Contributors

Well, as mentioned in another thread, mine went in for a voice control retrofit three weeks ago and is yet to come out.
They have sorted me out with a 325Ci, and even though the British weather allowed for some hours with the top off, it does not even come close to my 5. Nor does the X3 we have.
Yes, the computer problems are highly annoying, but I feel I got one of the best cars this side of a Bentley anyway.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

i've had a variety of loaners & rentals ... none of them however match the 5, or the payments one makes on it.

325i
330i
330ci
X3
Towncar (now)

Quick Reply: After 4,800 miles finally had it with iDrive