E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 4,800 miles finally had it with iDrive

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 750i
Model Year: 2014

This is a crying shame because I really like the car for the excellent suspension and steering response. Oh, did I mention the motor with a great torque curve?

BUT...........

iDrive has been annoying me from Day ONE. I decided on Sunday - after a software upgrade which made the car pling even more than before and seems to have slowed down evey system response - that I can not deal with it any longer.

I have bought four new BMWs since 2000 and hate to say that this great driving automobile was THE BEST from a performance and handling standpoint but a little too annoying for me to handle at this point.

I'll revisit the BMW's offerings when they start offering cars that have NO iDrive.

My car is for sale at this point, if you know anyone who is interested in a great deal on a great handling car have them send me a private message. Car details are in my sig. The car is in San Francisco and has 4,800 miles on it.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Contributors

Imagine how many buttons you would have on the dash if you didn't have it.

Try rebooting the I-Drive before you sell the car. It can be like a computer sometimes.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Hmm, well thats a first. What will you replace it with? Yes I-drive can be sluggish at times but this is rather extreme. What version of software did you get. The CIP versions between 12 and 16.1 all slowed down the performance of I-drive. I dropped my car off in Nice about month after you. My guess is your problems will be resolved with CIP 16.2 and by the sounds of your last post a different dealer. Other than that.....

Are you telling us the whole story?

Does the car still smell of dead rat?
Has your wife changed her mind about driving a stick?
Did Active Steering act up again?
Do you still find loss of power between 4 to 3 shifts?
Maybe it blows warm air on you when you start it up on a hot day.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by BlackBear' date='Apr 18 2005, 09:09 PM
This is a crying shame because I really like the car for the excellent suspension and steering response.? Oh, did I mention the motor with a great torque curve?

BUT...........

iDrive has been annoying me from Day ONE.? I decided on Sunday - after a software upgrade which made the car pling even more than before and seems to have slowed down evey system response - that I can not deal with it any longer.

I have bought four new BMWs since 2000 and hate to say that this great driving automobile was THE BEST from a performance and handling standpoint but a little too annoying for me to handle at this point.

I'll revisit the BMW's offerings when they start offering cars that have NO iDrive.

My car is for sale at this point, if you know anyone who is interested in a great? deal on a great handling car have them send me a private message. Car details are in my sig.? The car is in San Francisco and has 4,800 miles on it.
[snapback]116984[/snapback]

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the Idrive is the least of my problems, which, by the way are few.? I think the Idrive works great.? The software that runs it certainly has some bugs, but they are slowly getting worked out..........I too love how the car drives/handles etc........and in my opinion the other issues aren't major enough for me to even think about getting rid of the car....I'm sorry you are having such bad luck with yours.....
Old 04-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Senior Members

:'( :'( getting rid of the 545i just because of the i-drive. well, i can't speak for anyone else but personally i feel that i-drive is the most inovative ideas to be present in todays cars. I actually love the knob. its comfortable and it makes sense. Infinity is another smart company who is following in BMW's foot steps with its i-drive wannabe technology in their new M class.

Good job BMW
Old 04-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 750i
Model Year: 2014

iDrive was a bad experience before last week's "UPGRADE". Now, with Version 15.xy, it is even slower.

When I turn the key the car waits one to two seconds before it decides that I want to start the motor for real and then turns over the starter.

It now PLINGS at random times for no reason apparant to me while I'm driving.

The service experience was pretty painful. It took almost two hours to drop of the car. Most of it waiting and watching THE PRICE IS RIGHT.

They told me they could not get it done in one day and would keep it over night. I said "not a problem I got other cars to drive". After it was all said and done it had been 15 days and the adaptive breaklights still don't work.

So, if someone pays $65K for the car, and has a billing rate of $250/h - or even only $100/h - I think the car just has to perform without any problems for the first year. That's what I pay for, reliable basic transportation.

Can you imagine owning one of these iDrive cars after the warranty expired? They spent 38 hours on my car. Multiply that by $100/hour or more. Not a pretty # if you are on the wrong side of the transaction.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:19 AM
Contributors

I actually wish other cars had a form of idrive, but at times wish I had a regular headunit in the dash of the e60. Idrive ain't that bad, but if it isn't to your liking after 5000 miles, then best of luck with the sale and with your next ride.

BTW, I saw your post over on 6speed....man just use the TT as your daily. If that won't be the case, I personally love the looks of the CLS55 and the quattroporte.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

That's what I pay for, reliable basic transportation.
Hmmmm. "Basic transportation" is not a term I would think up to describe the E60. Especially not a black-on-black 545 with a six-speed manual.

Basic transportation to me conjures up images of the Honda Civic. That's reliable, and lacks i-Drive. Somehow, though, I doubt that car would really meet your true criteria, Black Bear!
Old 04-19-2005, 04:27 AM
Senior Members

All software has bugs ... but software doesn't "break-down" unlike machines ... so, when BMW works out the "bugs", the bugs are fixed for good. Once your warrenty ends in 4 years, there will be few if any software bugs left, and you'll be able to drive your idrive until you decide on buying your next computer (I mean car)
Old 04-19-2005, 04:36 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by BlackBear' date='Apr 19 2005, 12:05 AM
iDrive was a bad experience before last week's "UPGRADE".? Now, with Version 15.xy, it is even slower.

When I turn the key the car waits one to two seconds before it decides that I want to start the motor for real and then turns over the starter.

It now PLINGS at random times for no reason apparant to me while I'm driving.?

The service experience was pretty painful.? It took almost two hours to drop of the car. Most of it waiting and watching THE PRICE IS RIGHT.?

They told me they could not get it done in one day and would keep it over night. I said "not a problem I got other cars to drive".? After it was all said and done it had been 15 days and the adaptive breaklights still don't work.

So, if someone pays $65K for the car, and has a billing rate of $250/h - or even only $100/h - I think the car just has to perform without any problems for the first year. That's what I pay for, reliable basic transportation.

Can you imagine owning one of these iDrive cars after the warranty? expired? They spent 38 hours on my car. Multiply that by $100/hour or more.? Not a pretty # if you are on the wrong side of the transaction.
[snapback]117012[/snapback]
That is the point I've been making for quite some time. Can you imagine the ownership experience some poor schmuck is going to have when he purchaces one of these cars three/four/five years down the road? I sure hope there are no guns available to them. I'm not talking about just I-drive. How about the DSC/ACTIVE STEERING/ARS/.....AND EVERY ONE OF THE HUNDREDS OF COMPUTERIZED/ELECTRONIC FUNCTIONS THAT WILL INEVITABLY GO SOUTH AS THE CAR AGES. Poor bastards.

Quick Reply: After 4,800 miles finally had it with iDrive