E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

After 2 Days with start/stop buttom

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

I've had comfort access for 3 days now and it is just too cool. I would get it again no question. Really though, BMW should make it standard and just increase the base cost by what ever their manufacturing cost is. If you ever get a chance to try it, you will agree it would be a huge sales point for the good guys!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by stream' post='205486' date='Nov 30 2005, 09:38 PM
Comfort access is BMW's version of MB's keyless go--same basic functionality.

...and I don't like the way the new board SW combines 2 separate replies into 1, if made one shortly after the other...
Thanks, and me too. When did it start? I want all my posts to count. So, I go away, temporize by reading other posts and posting elsewhere, and then come back to post again. Actually, I would like the way it works if all the posts counted.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

What happens when the fob battery dies? Will you still be able to open the door?

Better yet, can I still get an E60 with the regular key?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:38 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Bedford530i' post='205654' date='Dec 1 2005, 07:05 AM
What happens when the fob battery dies? Will you still be able to open the door?

There's a metal key stored in the fob.

Better yet, can I still get an E60 with the regular key?

No.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by CoolTones' post='205505' date='Dec 1 2005, 04:51 AM
Aye Carumba!

O.K....You guys have successfully roped me into a reply.
The start/stop button is what comes with an E60 these days. I *REALLY* don't see what the big deal is here. Push the button to start, push the button to stop.

I'm going to ask Lomag to set up a "Whiners Forum".
Sheesh.
This is the story

1) All that have old 5:ers without this feature (or any feature for that matter) will claim that it is useless simply because they cannot have it.

2) The fob + button do add a new dimension to the car which is security. The fob cannot be copied as the regular key. The fob has built in DES encryption which makes it impossible even to manipulate the car to get it to start. The old 5:ers only have the built in electronic security of the engine start mechanism. This means that anyone who can get their hands on the regular key can make a copy to steal the car. The fob is not possible to copy. You will have to have the exact fob that came with the car for it to start.

3) The mumbo jumbo of "extra steps/work" to start a button-car vs an old 5:er is just so fun to read. Imagine the same story for active steering vs normal steering:-) Wow, don't you have active steering. I have since I don't have the stamina to turn the wheel. It is too much extra effort.

Ciao!
/Knubblo
Old 12-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

The feature works in sports cars. There is something inherently cool about sitting in something low to the ground and pressing a red 'start' button. then hearing the engine burst into life.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by Knubblo' post='205743
Aye Carumba!

O.K....You guys have successfully roped me into a reply.
The start/stop button is what comes with an E60 these days. I *REALLY* don't see what the big deal is here. Push the button to start, push the button to stop.

I'm going to ask Lomag to set up a "Whiners Forum".
Sheesh.
This is the story

1) All that have old 5:ers without this feature (or any feature for that matter) will claim that it is useless simply because they cannot have it.

2) The fob + button do add a new dimension to the car which is security. The fob cannot be copied as the regular key. The fob has built in DES encryption which makes it impossible even to manipulate the car to get it to start. The old 5:ers only have the built in electronic security of the engine start mechanism. This means that anyone who can get their hands on the regular key can make a copy to steal the car. The fob is not possible to copy. You will have to have the exact fob that came with the car for it to start.

3) The mumbo jumbo of "extra steps/work" to start a button-car vs an old 5:er is just so fun to read. Imagine the same story for active steering vs normal steering:-) Wow, don't you have active steering. I have since I don't have the stamina to turn the wheel. It is too much extra effort.

Ciao!
/Knubblo
[/quote]

Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='205439' date='Nov 30 2005, 06:50 PM
das, in case you weren't aware, even those of us without the start/stop button only have to turn the key momentarily to activate the start sequence. There's no need to "hold" the key in the start postition for the car to start. Basically, our key is a start/stop button, it's just built into the key cylinder assembly.

Clearly, without comfort access, the independent start/stop button adds a step that is unecessary..
...unless you have the 6-speed manual -- then you have to hold the key to start the engine.

Which brings up a question about the start/stop button on a manual tranny car - do you have to hold the button down to start it? Any '06 manual drivers out there care to respond?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='205767' date='Dec 1 2005, 03:11 PM
/Knubblo
Good info. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Members

I have comfort access and would get it again on my next BMW.

It is definitely a "cool" feature.

Quick Reply: After 2 Days with start/stop buttom