E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

After 2 Days with start/stop buttom

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 03:55 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='205439' date='Nov 30 2005, 06:50 PM
das, in case you weren't aware, even those of us without the start/stop button only have to turn the key momentarily to activate the start sequence. There's no need to "hold" the key in the start postition for the car to start. Basically, our key is a start/stop button, it's just built into the key cylinder assembly.

Clearly, without comfort access, the independent start/stop button adds a step that is unecessary..
Yes, I guess BMW has done that for a while now...I think I'm just arguing that it might not be a full extra step, but maybe "half" of a step. In any case, I do agree that it doesn't add value (other than as a gimmick) unless Comfort Access is present.

I hear that even without Comfort Access, the girls dig it, though.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

I have always wondered, does it mean with comfort access (or any other brands that has this), anyone can open my car door as long as I am near the car?

What would happen if someone jumps in and start the car? I am assuming s/he can't go far since the car will detect that the key is no longer there.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='205446' date='Nov 30 2005, 05:00 PM
I have always wondered, does it mean with comfort access (or any other brands that has this), anyone can open my car door as long as I am near the car?

What would happen if someone jumps in and start the car? I am assuming s/he can't go far since the car will detect that the key is no longer there.
Yup thats right if you are near the drivers door then anyone can jump in. BUT the proximity reader is only like 5 feet.

Once the car is started even if you walk away with the key i think it'll give you a warning but wont stop running... The car can still be driven till its stoped.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='205423' date='Nov 30 2005, 07:15 PM
C'om is not such a big deal. I have it and mentally speaking i dont remember it is there.
Forgot to add, i dont have confort access..but it does not bother me a bit. In fact, i think it looks cute! but that is me.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by das' post='205441' date='Nov 30 2005, 07:55 PM
Yeah, but you're a married man now das!!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i - ordered in January delivered April 21st! Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple.

[/quote]

That's funny because my wife said it was the stupidiest thing she has seen, but then she just realized what we spent on the car. Her head might not be in the game...
Old 11-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='205439' date='Nov 30 2005, 07:50 PM
das, in case you weren't aware, even those of us without the start/stop button only have to turn the key momentarily to activate the start sequence. There's no need to "hold" the key in the start postition for the car to start. Basically, our key is a start/stop button, it's just built into the key cylinder assembly.

Clearly, without comfort access, the independent start/stop button adds a step that is unecessary..
Exactly, unless one just doesn't want to turn a key at all. With the key, its just tap and release.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

No Comfort Access, but I love the Start/Stop button! Now how can 2 inches (distance from key fob to Start/Stop button) be a nuisance??? I don't get it. However, for $1000 that I can keep in my pocket, I can insert the key fob into the slot all my myself!! And besides, it's still the same steps to start the car, even with a traditional key!

* Insert key into ignition slot: same step with the BMW key fob/transmitter
* Turn key to start engine: same thing as pressing Start/Stop
* Turn key to turn off engine: press Start/Stop again
* Remove key from ignition slot: same step with BMW key fob/transmitter
Old 11-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by stream' post='205367
After being with a rental 3 series with the start/stop botton it is an absolute waste (for all those that wanted it). That is all -- oh and the car is in for the second time for new software due to iDrive having a mind of its own. Still love it though!!
Agreed. I had an E90 loaner a while back, and without comfort access, it's more steps to start/stop the car. To start--push key fob in hole & press botton. To stop--press button, push key fob in (to "eject") and then pull out.

At least with Mercedes, if you don't have keyless go, you can turn the key fob to start like a regular key.
[/quote]
Is keyless go like comfort access? I have forgotten what comfort access does. Does it just unlock the door when you get close?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

It unlocks the doors and when you are in the car with the key in your pocket activates the start button - so you do not have to insert the key

BTW - anyone have the 06 5 series with the start/stop and no comfort access? Is it a key or just the fob like the 3 series - the owners manual and the instruction book are not clear on this. If no one answers this then I will in the next few days WHEN I GET MY CAR!!! -

Quick Reply: After 2 Days with start/stop buttom