E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

After 2 Days with start/stop buttom

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i - ordered in January delivered April 21st! Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple.

After being with a rental 3 series with the start/stop botton it is an absolute waste (for all those that wanted it). That is all -- oh and the car is in for the second time for new software due to iDrive having a mind of its own. Still love it though!!
Old 11-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

What's wrong with start/stop button?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i - ordered in January delivered April 21st! Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple.

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='205359' date='Nov 30 2005, 04:20 PM
What's wrong with start/stop button?
It is one extra step in the process of starting a car with no benefit. If the fob was smaller then maybe, but it is almost the size of a large pack of gum (Winterfresh). It does nothing for me and I thought it would be cool.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Oaktree' post='205357' date='Nov 30 2005, 02:18 PM
After being with a rental 3 series with the start/stop botton it is an absolute waste (for all those that wanted it). That is all -- oh and the car is in for the second time for new software due to iDrive having a mind of its own. Still love it though!!
Agreed. I had an E90 loaner a while back, and without comfort access, it's more steps to start/stop the car. To start--push key fob in hole & press botton. To stop--press button, push key fob in (to "eject") and then pull out.

At least with Mercedes, if you don't have keyless go, you can turn the key fob to start like a regular key.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Members

You need to use it with comfort access to truly appreciate it's function. Without the comfort access option this START / STOP feature is just a toy with little function.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Not driven an E60 with it but have driven a 1 series and a Renault Scenic with it. IMHO its not worth having even together with comfort access. I mean all you have to do with the std key is press a button, open the door and turn the key. Whats uncomfortable about that.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:15 PM
Contributors

C'om is not such a big deal. I have it and mentally speaking i dont remember it is there.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Not to be an old fart, but having had start buttons on British marques (Jaguar, Triumph, Austin Healey, etc), I can tell you that there's a reason they did away with them: they're a nuissance.

Fast forward: I can't imagine ever again having to stop and lock or unlock a door, manually, even though I first thought the whole remote key business silly.

Just think about all these advancements to cut "key strokes" that we've come to expect, and then weigh this "advance" against those.

Message to marketing: Silly; just silly.

Ray Hull
Old 11-30-2005, 03:22 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

I have Comfort Access and love the Start/Stop button.

But seriously, and I'll grant that this is a matter of opinion, but even without Comfort Access I don't think it's an "extra step". On a normal ignition, you insert a key, turn to crank, and let go once engine is started. On E60 without Comfort Access, you insert fob, and momentarily depress a button that is 2 inches away - you don't even need to worry about cranking time.

Now, everyone is welcome to think it's worthless or whatever, but all things considered, I don't think it's a big deal. Of course, I also have Comfort Access, so I don't need to use a key at all. I'd definitely agree that the Start/Stop button only really shines with Comfort Access (and Comfort Access is a lot more than only being able to start the car without the fob - for me, it was definitely worth the $1000).
Old 11-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

das, in case you weren't aware, even those of us without the start/stop button only have to turn the key momentarily to activate the start sequence. There's no need to "hold" the key in the start postition for the car to start. Basically, our key is a start/stop button, it's just built into the key cylinder assembly.

Clearly, without comfort access, the independent start/stop button adds a step that is unecessary..

Quick Reply: After 2 Days with start/stop buttom