E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on situation

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so the other night i was pulling out of my parking spot and behind me was a big truck sticking out into the drive from his spot since his car was so long. i didn't judge the distance right and bumped him. i cracked my tailight and bruised the paint on my bumper a litte but no denting or anything, and i did the same to him. he was walking out and saw it, so he got my insurance information but did not have his. he just took a picture of my insurance card. no police were called or anything.

so i guess now i'm a little concerned how everything is going to go down. i assume he'll call my insurance company and they will call me and then what? judging by the damage i think i'm probably better off paying for this out of pocket without my insurance being involved (don't want my rates to go up), but is that possible to do once the insurance company is aware of the accident? i guess i just don't know how to handle it from here. if they call me and say that guy called them i would like to just tell them to have him call me directly. i'd rather find out how much the damage is from him before i file a claim with my insurance.

i understand there is no police report so i don't have to acknowledge anything happened, but it is my fault so i want to take care of the incident. also in my apartment complex there are cameras so i'm sure if he wanted he could get the camera feed from that night and then take it to the cops later if i weren't going to be civil about this. then again maybe that is extreme for such a small incident. nevertheless, i'd like to do the right thing, just don't know how to proceed from here.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Did you get pics of the damage? Be sure and document everything possible. Don't let him pile on other damage at your expense.
If you're going to pay for his damage out of pocket contact his repair shop. They may offer a discount for individual pay.
Stay in the loop. Ask to see repair estimates. Find out who he's talking to at your insurance company.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530inOK
Did you get pics of the damage? Be sure and document everything possible. Don't let him pile on other damage at your expense.
If you're going to pay for his damage out of pocket contact his repair shop. They may offer a discount for individual pay.
Stay in the loop. Ask to see repair estimates. Find out who he's talking to at your insurance company.
i didn't have a camera so i don't have any pictures. just my own car. i guess i am still curious what is going to happen. i mean even if he calls my insurance and tells them i totaled his car, they aren't just going to buy it and let him file a claim without talking to me first, right? and since there is no police report they can't just take his word over mine i don't think.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

At this point don't touch your car get a pic of your car with a news paper or something with a date and call your insurance. Let them know what happened and I would think u can offer to pay out of pocket if the cost is low just to keep it off your record. I don't think they'll be against that.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
At this point don't touch your car get a pic of your car with a news paper or something with a date and call your insurance. Let them know what happened and I would think u can offer to pay out of pocket if the cost is low just to keep it off your record. I don't think they'll be against that.
thanks. i am hesitant to call the insurance company though just because he may not call them. you know maybe he decides it's not worth the trouble? so if that's the case i wouldn't want to let my insurance company know about the incident would i?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

If you have the other parties contact number, maybe you should call him and inquire if he already has estimated damage on his car. Access your ends damage as well. Then decide if you want to file a claim with your insurance or pay the damages out of pocket. Don't forget about your deductible to. GL
Old 12-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 Lexus IS-F

The only way your premium may go up is if your insurance company will pay the claim. There is no harm of "notifying" the insurance company of the incident. In fact, its wise to do so, that way you will be protected for the just in case or gotcha stuff. If you have the individuals contact information, ask him/her if they can produce an estimate for the repair and that you would like to settle this instead of the insurance company. Some people may shy away thinking its a scam, just the way things are these days, but if the amount is in your comfort zone, I would at least try that route. If you do pay for the repair, be sure to get a receipt of the repair and notify your insurance company that it was settled amongst you two and that the incident is now closed. That way, if the person try's to get extra, you covered your part on that as well. Just my 2 cents....
Old 12-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i / 475 / LCSW / ZPP / ZSP / 205 / 4BY / 508 / 609 / 6FL

1. Like warranty work pays less than customer work at dealers, insurance work pays less than customer work at body shops. If you pay for the damages out of pocket, then it could be more expensive than what the ins co would pay.

2. The people answering the phones at your ins co are humans too so they may understand your concerns and desire to pay out of pocket than getting them involved. I would talk to your ins agent to see what your options are and determine which is best for you.

3. If it were me, then I'd let ins handle it if the damages are more than your deductible. You're paying for ins, let it do its job. But ask your agent if your rates will go up after this claim.

Good luck.

Michael.