E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i
Model Year: 2008
Default Advice needed

Guys, it looks like I ran into a rough patch with my car...

The accessory belt shredded to pieces in August. The car was under warranty but I decided to change it myself and do diy with pictures later (I thought how hard it can be - my 330Ci it was a few minutes job). That was a mistake. It was a bi**h to do it and I wish I haven't done that. After that I left for extended trip to Europe, the car was not driven for 2 months. After I came back I took the car to the dealership before warranty expired to check why the belt snapped and after the belt change I had developed an oil leak (looked like from oil filter housing) I brought the car in on 19th, the warranty expired on 23rd of October. Picked up the on 23rd from the dealership, they could not find the reason why the belt snapped. Oil leak was caused by bad gasket in one of the hoses going to oil filter. They said the car was fine.

Four days later the belt shredded to pieces again. Towed the car to the dealership the same day. While putting the car on the flatbed a good half quart of oil leaked from the engine plastic undercover....ouch! Did not look good at all considering the dealership washed the engine 4 days ago. It was a fresh oil.

After one week the SA called me and said that they replaced all pulleys, belt tensioner, belt and just are waiting for crankshaft gear to be delivered. (not sure why but..)
The story is that the belt somehow got to the inside of the engine through the crankshaft seal (basically it got sucked into the oil pan) and that was the oil leak reason. I am not sure how and if it is possible, maybe somebody with more experience could confirm that. Apparently, they had to open the oil pan and wash the belt pieces, change gaskets etc. All this at no charge to me as BMW goodwill is picking the tab up. So far so good.

Today I got message from the SA that they have to change the engine. The oil leak is coming from unknown place inside the engine and they need to replace short block and crankshaft. He mentioned few times "new motor" but to me it sounds like engine rebuild with new block. They want me to approve the job however I would be responsible for the sales tax (parts and labor covered buy BMW Goodwill)

My questions/concerns:
1. Fitting new block and crankshaft. I understand it is a major engine rebuilding. Should I ask for the whole new engine? If they cannot find the oil leak "somewhere" in the engine, what is the chance that the engine which will be put together by same mechanic will have no issues? I understand when engines are made in factories with trained staff and right equipment but somebody in the dealership? Anyone had it done? My concern is that if they cannot find a leak, how can they rebuild the engine... Or maybe new engine required because of the belt inside the oil pan... My main concern is that the car will be out of warranty after the "surgery" and if I will have to do something like that again paying out of pocket ... not looking forward to it.

2. Is it possible for the belt to be "sucked in" inside the engine? I am not a mechanic but to me it sounds really strange that they found pieces of belt inside the oil pan. If it is, how?

3. If they are rebuilding the engine what else should I ask them to take a look? I know I will ask to look for carbon deposits as it is DI engine, but as long as they are inside, should I replace something else? Water pump? Car has 49xxx miles.

I am going tomorrow early am to speak with my SA. I will update it as it goes.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

1) bullshit, shredded belt cannot enter engine. This is impossible and is quite laughable. Unless you have some special engine that I've never encountered.
2) bmw franchise doesn't rebuild engines they will put in a remanufactured engine..which is rebuild by bmw

49K miles looks like you're in warranty! Good, go for it and don't pay anything. Tell them to pick up the entire tab.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Contributors

It's possible that the BMW SA (service adviser) tried to explain what happened and either wasn't clear in what was said or what you understood. Under the circumstances it's understandable that confusion resulted but BMW is picking up the repairs. When you meet with the service department be sure to collect the work order - if you can scan and post it it'll help show what they intend to do to your car.

I've never paid sales tax on a warranty-covered repair. Though it's probably "only" a few hundred $$'s, money is money. The inconvenience is painful enough - even for a BMW owner!

Good luck with getting this sorted out so you could enjoy a few more miles of driving enjoyment!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
1) bullshit, shredded belt cannot enter engine. This is impossible and is quite laughable. Unless you have some special engine that I've never encountered.
2) bmw franchise doesn't rebuild engines they will put in a remanufactured engine..which is rebuild by bmw

49K miles looks like you're in warranty! Good, go for it and don't pay anything. Tell them to pick up the entire tab.
LOL...shredded belt entering engine? that's a new one.. i've heard or read about a lot of different things happening to car.. but this one is just.. a winner.. I think it's time you changed dealers.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Members

latest update:

I went to the dealership this morning. I told my SA that I do not believe it is possible for the belt to enter the engine through the crankshaft.
Their manager or supervisor was sticking to the story. He said that he did not see these things happen in his entire life however this last year it is the third case. First two cases they did not have to change the block.
In my case so far they changed the crankshaft gasket (they had to press it in) and even with a new gasket the oil was still leaking. They are not replacing the whole engine, just the block and crankshaft. They are giving a 2 year warranty with unlimited miles on this rebuilt engine.

I just can't get grasp how is it possible for the belt to screw the block... I just think that they are not telling me something ... Anyway, I just have a feeling that this is not going to be good.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Members

so it is possible...

Accessory belt sucked into the engine - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com