E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Adaptive headlights???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 04:36 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielFD
Yea read it on one of those technology pdfs the other day on e60s. If they dont move up in darkness when you turn them on the first time (After ignition, after the first time they calibrate they no longer move when you turn them on) then there is something wrong.

They have replaceable actuators.

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

#14 part. Seems like they might break down if they are replaceable.

Though i would think both sides wouldn't break down at the same time.

Its very possible your previous owner had an issue with them and probably found it cheaper to have them coded out then have them repaired. If your inclined check the VO on the car using NCSExpert the code you should be looking for is "$524".

Look for it in both the CAS and the LMA module, its possible an amateur coded the car and hadn't written the VO code on both modules.

Also its possible the "amateur" coded them out manually and not through the VO so check your LMA and look at adaptive headlight values. Maybe the owner disabled them manually, even though that would be much harder.
Not sure what values to look for, but as stated above, i verified $524 is in my VO and even went as far as coding the LMA with a blank .man file to reset it to factory. I would think if the parts within the headlights failed, I would have the green led blinking.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by locomotiveBart
Not sure what values to look for, but as stated above, i verified $524 is in my VO and even went as far as coding the LMA with a blank .man file to reset it to factory. I would think if the parts within the headlights failed, I would have the green led blinking.
Just to make sure did you get/check your FA from the LMA module or the CAS? make sure you read both FAs from the LMA and the CAS. like i said possible only one of the modules was used to default code. I also have no idea what values to look for in the LMA, but in any case default coding the LMA module would have done the trick if it was a coding issue (given you checked both CAS & LMA).

If its a broken or dislodged actuator the LMA would have no idea there is an issue hence no blinking green light. But on the safe side if you have INPA there is a way (not sure how) to initialize the headlights manually (not sure though, read it once). Maybe you can hear for movement or something, maybe check codes if there are any?
Old 11-15-2016, 05:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

To be perfectly honest, I can't remember if I checked the far in both. I do know that I wrote blank to the lma in both lma and cas. I have a working inpa but have never touched it.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:12 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

I'd say try and read the FA from the LMA and look for the $524 code then do the same for the CAS. Also I'd say its time to start with INPA!
Old 11-15-2016, 05:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DanielFD
I'd say try and read the FA from the LMA and look for the $524 code then do the same for the CAS. Also I'd say its time to start with INPA!
Sounds like a solid plan. Thanks. Next time I get to the garage I will do this. Stay tuned...
Old 11-15-2016, 05:33 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

My version of INPA does actuate the adaptive headlights for me don't recall off hand the exact steps to go thru but recall seeing the activate function some time ago.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks. I'll look when I can get to it.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:26 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 535i | AT | FBO | Inlets & Outlets | Stage 2 LPFP | MHD E60 OTS

Glad i found this thread as I would hate to get flamed for starting another AHL thread. I hope somebody can help me with the issue I'm having. Whenever I turn on my headlights and they do their whole auto-leveling routine, I noticed that for some reason the passenger side headlight goes up while the driver side headlight goes down. Then then they level out and both shift left and right but in sync. I'm pretty sure the passenger side one is wrong but I dont know how or why. Any ideas? Could it be improper coding. The passenger side is a Hella brand aftermarket adaptive headlight.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

Originally Posted by TruJayRee
Glad i found this thread as I would hate to get flamed for starting another AHL thread. I hope somebody can help me with the issue I'm having. Whenever I turn on my headlights and they do their whole auto-leveling routine, I noticed that for some reason the passenger side headlight goes up while the driver side headlight goes down. Then then they level out and both shift left and right but in sync. I'm pretty sure the passenger side one is wrong but I dont know how or why. Any ideas? Could it be improper coding. The passenger side is a Hella brand aftermarket adaptive headlight.
Hella is the original OEM supplier to BMW for the e60s headlight assemblies. You might go to realoem.com and enter your vin number and lookup OEM part numbers and superseded numbers for adaptive lights, pull both light assays to ensure proper part numbers are installed. Personally, if it works as is, don't open a potential can of worms. Just saying...
Old 12-06-2016, 08:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 535i | AT | FBO | Inlets & Outlets | Stage 2 LPFP | MHD E60 OTS

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
Hella is the original OEM supplier to BMW for the e60s headlight assemblies. You might go to realoem.com and enter your vin number and lookup OEM part numbers and superseded numbers for adaptive lights, pull both light assays to ensure proper part numbers are installed. Personally, if it works as is, don't open a potential can of worms. Just saying...
I did see that both headlights are the Hella brand, the driver's side just has the accompanying BMW logo. Technically it does work but my main concern is that the headlight beam is angling up when it should be angling down and vice versa.

Quick Reply: Adaptive headlights???