E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

adaptive headlamps.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 12:45 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 530D Touring M Sport manual
Model Year: 2008

Hi Sean, The only coding I have done on my car is switching on the day running lights, getting the folding mirrors to work, and fixing the dpf (getting it to regenerate) so that's my experience about coding, I did this with a carly! cheers Paneuro
Old 04-11-2020, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

To learn how to code manually you need to look at videos on YouTube on:

NCS EXPERT
WINKPF
EDIABAS
ISTA-P
E-SYS
INPA

You're not going to need all of them but looking at videos on them will let you know what you need to start coding/programming. Using iCarly is far from manual coding because it does it for you.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:06 PM
New Members

Hi Sean, are you saying carly won't do the job? the only one of these abbreviations I've ever heard of is INPA and even that means nothing to me. Why does it need to be manual coding? surely if carly does it for you then its much easier? thanks Paneuro.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

It see that Carly has updated its coding options so it's a possibility. But honestly I think there's more to it. I can't say for sure because I've never coded that option before but from my experience if the option was not pre cabled you would have to add something for it to work who know it could work. It doesn't hurt to try if you have already paid for the premium plan for Carly.

I really don't know how Carly works because I do all my programming and coding from my laptop with the programs mentioned above. All it cost me was an old laptop I had laying around and time to learn the programs.

Hopefully others here can chime in on the Carly thing but most DIYs here who code do it from a laptop.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:26 AM
New Members

Hi Sean, the only thing I don't understand about Carly is the jargon they use, there is no real explanation what the headings do and finding an explanation from them is not easy, I had issues recently when trying to register a battery I had several emails back and forth before I had any success. I might ask and see how it goes, I'll let you know. thanks Paneuro.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Like Jay stated, your car just has to be idling.

It's tough to see it do side-to-side while in the car.

I had to stand in front my car while someone else turned the steering wheel. Or if you're turning at night, you'll see the headlights follow the curve.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:23 AM
New Members

Hi donpb, I have sussed it out and the lights do go from side to side, I have since been trying to find out if I can code the fog lights to come on individually depending on which way you are turning. I have the Carly app but I'm waiting on Carly coming back to me with some cogent explanation of the jargon they use as it is difficult to understand. I will post the outcome and let everybody who have helped me know how it goes. thanks Paneuro
Old 04-15-2020, 08:35 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 05 BMW 525
Engine: M54B25

Originally Posted by paneuro
Hi donpb, I have sussed it out and the lights do go from side to side, I have since been trying to find out if I can code the fog lights to come on individually depending on which way you are turning. I have the Carly app but I'm waiting on Carly coming back to me with some cogent explanation of the jargon they use as it is difficult to understand. I will post the outcome and let everybody who have helped me know how it goes. thanks Paneuro
Hi Paneuro are you sure you have adaptive headlights? I went through your VIN but didn't see the Xenon option which is a must for Adaptive headlights.
I've never used Carly but in order to activate your fog lights depending on where you turn you have to look for "cornering Lights" keep in mind this only works when you're at a full stop and have your blinker on
Old 04-15-2020, 10:30 AM
New Members

Hi Erik, I am fairly sure but I will check and get somebody to turn the wheel to see if they move sideways. I know I don't have Xenon lights as I have replaced the headlamp bulbs and they are I think H7 bulbs. I have looked in the Carly coding and there are cornering lights mentioned but I'm not sure how to go about it. You have helped me with the information about when and how the cornering lights work so thanks for that. I'm still waiting on Carly getting back to me on their jargon explanation.
Thanks Paneuro
Old 04-15-2020, 10:40 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 05 BMW 525
Engine: M54B25

Originally Posted by paneuro
Hi Erik, I am fairly sure but I will check and get somebody to turn the wheel to see if they move sideways. I know I don't have Xenon lights as I have replaced the headlamp bulbs and they are I think H7 bulbs. I have looked in the Carly coding and there are cornering lights mentioned but I'm not sure how to go about it. You have helped me with the information about when and how the cornering lights work so thanks for that. I'm still waiting on Carly getting back to me on their jargon explanation.
Thanks Paneuro
Ok so if you have the regular H7 bulbs then there's no way that your headlights will move from side to side but they do however move up and down that's just how BMW made the lighting options for the e60. On the bright side, you might be able to enable the cornering lights thanks to your car being an 08' and having LM2 (light module 2) if Carly doesn't work I'd recommend you getting a K+D can cable from Amazon or eBay and doing it via NCSEXPERT and NCSDUMMY which should be easy to do

Quick Reply: adaptive headlamps.