E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Adaptation on a early 2004 545i what is it really????

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62
Default Adaptation on a early 2004 545i what is it really????

I have a problem which shows up with my instrument cluster going really "funky" see other topic here:
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...riving-128052/
Bu since I have exhausted all electronic probable causes I think maybe this "BMW adaptation" may have something to do with this, but don't really understand wht adaptation really is in the BMW connotation here.

Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks
October 2003 built E60 with up to date SW AFAIK, version off the cluster: 49.50.04
Old 02-02-2013, 05:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
I have a problem which shows up with my instrument cluster going really "funky" see other topic here:
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...riving-128052/
Bu since I have exhausted all electronic probable causes I think maybe this "BMW adaptation" may have something to do with this, but don't really understand wht adaptation really is in the BMW connotation here.

Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks
October 2003 built E60 with up to date SW AFAIK, version off the cluster: 49.50.04
Have you tried swapping instrument clusters? Checked your IVM module for possible contributory faults? KOMBI? There are so many interrelated modules, I'd try swapping clusters first to see if there may be a board fault. Otherwise, it may be time to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer for analysis. Of course you could elect to repair yourself after the problem is identified. Best of luck!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:26 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Have you tried swapping instrument clusters? Checked your IVM module for possible contributory faults? KOMBI? There are so many interrelated modules, I'd try swapping clusters first to see if there may be a board fault. Otherwise, it may be time to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer for analysis. Of course you could elect to repair yourself after the problem is identified. Best of luck!
Thanks but you got me, what is "IVM" or "KOMBI" ???
From what I have learned in the last 6 months is that swapping cluster might not be that easy unless I get a new one and that will have to be a dealer that have to get involved as used clusters cannot be matched/registered AFAIK, or am I mis informed on this?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
Thanks but you got me, what is "IVM" or "KOMBI" ???
From what I have learned in the last 6 months is that swapping cluster might not be that easy unless I get a new one and that will have to be a dealer that have to get involved as used clusters cannot be matched/registered AFAIK, or am I mis informed on this?
IVM is the Integrated Voltage Supply Module, the "black box" located within the Electronics Box with the DME and VVT modules. While most problems from this module have to do with starting and drivability, it may be worth having it checked out.

KOMBI controls the instrument cluster. If you have someone with coding tools, they may be able to pull up any errors reported by the module.

A used cluster would need to be coded to work properly. The point of a quick swap is to see if the behavior experienced exists regardless of cluster, or if the replacement powers up you can then isolate the problem to the cluster itself.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 535d, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, 20" Lenso Alloys, Quad Powerflow Stainless Exhaust, Remapped

Have you really exhausted all probable electronic causes?

Having read your other thread (see my response there) this is highly likely to be a battery / battery drain / Alternator problem. First thing to go is the clock every time, then evetually (when the voltage gets really low) your cluster will light up like a xmas tree as if it's doing a self test of all the lights.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by mickeyboy500
Have you really exhausted all probable electronic causes?

Having read your other thread (see my response there) this is highly likely to be a battery / battery drain / Alternator problem. First thing to go is the clock every time, then evetually (when the voltage gets really low) your cluster will light up like a xmas tree as if it's doing a self test of all the lights.
I get what you are saying but IF the voltage was too low and (my measurements being in cold weather ), don't think voltage would be too low as then if engine is running and voltage reads 14v plus there should not be any of this occurring any longer...no??

At least that's what I be thinking...pls correct me if I am wrong.