E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 03:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the last month or more, my active steering has been malfunctioning. It usually occurs when I start the car, and there is a series of thump sounds from the front of the car and then the warning for Active Steering Malfunction lights up.

Sometimes there is no noticable change in the steering control, but last night the steering wheel was about 30 degrees turned to the left while driving straight ahead on the freeway. Also, the warning in the idrive prevents any use of idrive until restarting the car since the warning takes over the display.

The warning stops from the display when I turn off the car, then restart it. But it will repeat once every few days.

I've taken the car in for a check and they reviewed the software faults and reloaded the CIP software and assumed that it resolved the problem, but it obviously didn't.

Has anyone else had similar problems, and what was the remedy? (sorry if I missed any threads on this one).

edit- (I can't believe the other Active Steering thread was started too, sorry for the additional thread!) PS. I like active steering.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

:bashwall: I've had the same thing happening to me. I took the car to the dealer and they stated that they reset the active steering and reprogrammed it. They stated that it was fixed. The problem is that the same thing still happens. Just like you stated.

"Sometimes there is no noticeable change in the steering control, but last night the steering wheel was about 30 degrees turned to the left while driving straight ahead on the freeway. Also, the warning in the idrive prevents any use of idrive until restarting the car since the warning takes over the display.

The warning stops from the display when I turn off the car then restart it. But it will repeat once every few days."

Mine has only done that about three times over the past three months.

I'm not to happy about taking the car back to the dealer. If you do a search under my posts you can read a tread that I started on the same thing.

Good luck,

Central Cali
Old 03-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

I had the same problem. THey replaced the steering rack. Changed the software. All under the warranty.

Teriyaki
Old 03-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for sharing the same experiences. I think it seems like it is more than a software problem and must have to do with the hardware of the Active Steering itself.

If it happens again over the next couple weeks I will take it back for dealer help.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Mar 9 2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks for sharing the same experiences. I think it seems like it is more than a software problem and must have to do with the hardware of the Active Steering itself.

If it happens again over the next couple weeks I will take it back for dealer help.
[snapback]99297[/snapback]
Gdavis,

Can you keep us informed of the outcome, so I can forward the information to my dealer so maybe they can fix mine

Thanks and good luck ,

Central Cali
Old 03-09-2005, 06:12 PM

There are other threads on this board describing the problem of the active steering faults and offset. I recall reading one thread that stated that certain CIP software upgrades required a reset of the active steering offset after upload of the software upgrade. If the offset was not reset, then you would continue to get AS malfunctions and the AS would be biased (either left or right of center) until reset.

I recommend that you take it to another BMW dealer (since the prior dealer has apparently failed to follow service procedures) for the latest CIP upgrade, reset of the AS offset and final resolution. In the worst case, BMW will probably have to replace the steering column if the steering offset cannot be reset following the CIP upgrade.