E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 06:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Hey man any updates? I've been having the same issue with my light coming on once ina while the dealer thought they had it fixed the first time then it came back a month later the car will go in again this week and we will see what happens I guess, the first time though they didn't indicate any major issue though just a recalibration they thought.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Maybe it's an AS sensor failure ? ? That error came and went on mine earlier this year and when they checked it the readings were out of range so it was replaced under warranty.

I agree $4500 to R&R the steering assembly seems a bit steep.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Members

A couple months ago my Active Steering failed. Boy, what a difference it was turning the wheel hand over hand in the parking lot. The dealer replaced an active steering sensor under my extended warrantee.

I think the cause of the problem might have had something to do with the touchless car wash I go to. When you first enter you drive by the undercarrige sprayers, and you can go by a slowly as you want. I think water was getting in under the hood somewhere, but I'm not sure. I do know that the steering gets a little "sputtery" whenever I linger too long though the undercarrige sprayers.

Anyway, it was just a sensor, and now its a good as new. You might want to try taking it to a different dealer and hear what they say.

Good luck,

Dean
Old 11-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i/ Olive Green/ Beige Dakota Lthr/ Sport Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Cold Weather Pkg/ Dark Polpar trim/ Logic7/ Comfort Seats/ Rear Comfort Pkg/ Steptronic/ Euro red reflectors/ iPod Interface

I was thinking about getting a second opinion, but I also trust the folks on the forum. Most of these folks on the forum don't want thousands of my hard earned dollars.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:20 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d

Most of steering malfunctions are related to SZL or optical sensor within it. Search with SZL will give you lot of information.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i/ Olive Green/ Beige Dakota Lthr/ Sport Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Cold Weather Pkg/ Dark Polpar trim/ Logic7/ Comfort Seats/ Rear Comfort Pkg/ Steptronic/ Euro red reflectors/ iPod Interface

Went to the dealership yesterday for another $900 worth of bad news, but that's another story. I told them that I had found another rack at Pelican Parts for $1200. They informed me that certain parts are electronically married to one car and one car only. So if I purchase this used rack and have it installed it could shut down the rest of my car because of a "foreign" part. Is this too high tech or what, I mean this is a super-high tech machine!
Old 11-15-2008, 05:33 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by monnot66' post='721934' date='Nov 15 2008, 09:14 AM
Went to the dealership yesterday for another $900 worth of bad news, but that's another story. I told them that I had found another rack at Pelican Parts for $1200. They informed me that certain parts are electronically married to one car and one car only. So if I purchase this used rack and have it installed it could shut down the rest of my car because of a "foreign" part. Is this too high tech or what, I mean this is a super-high tech machine!

I'm getting a distinct feeling that this BMW Service Center is taking the "old school" approach ... replacing parts after part until they "discover" what is really broken.

If the failure is a "hard part" like a rack, there is no marriage ... electronic components are wed in bed (installed and coded to communicate with other necessary relatives!). An equivalent would be that if you don't use "BMW" brake pads your iDrive won't work

If I were in your situation I'd be talking to the Service Manager to express your concerns about the drain on your pocket and your patience. If that person doesn't leave you with some level of comfort I'm afraid you might need to seek another BMW Dealer Service Center or a BMW qualified / experienced independent mechanic.

BTW, I think the sensor mentioned in previous post is actually in the steering column!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Contributors

Well over the past few days I've been told that the lower steering angle sensor is indeed co-located in the rack and that the whole piece has to be replaced, the sensor can't be sold seperatly. More bad news though, took the car in for a oil leak(which it never had until last month's oil change) and found out that the oil filter cover was jacked due to "normal" wear and tear and that the oil pan had to be replaced due to "normal" expansion and contraction which leads to the crack. Man, this is one thing after another!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by monnot66' post='723543' date='Nov 17 2008, 06:18 PM
Well over the past few days I've been told that the lower steering angle sensor is indeed co-located in the rack and that the whole piece has to be replaced, the sensor can't be sold seperatly. More bad news though, took the car in for a oil leak(which it never had until last month's oil change) and found out that the oil filter cover was jacked due to "normal" wear and tear and that the oil pan had to be replaced due to "normal" expansion and contraction which leads to the crack. Man, this is one thing after another!
How many miles do you have on the car? 300K ? ? These failures are no, in my humble opinion, "normal" for any wear and tear - unless you've been baha'ing or off roading! You should get BMWNA involved. Oil filter cover ... oil pan cracking from NORMAL expansion ... You're really kidding us aren't you.

I wouldn't accept product component failures like those from a KIA! :thumbsdown:
Old 11-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by monnot66' post='721934' date='Nov 15 2008, 06:14 AM
You're being taken for a ride. If I were you, I'd do one or both of the following:

1) I'd get a second opinion from a different dealer (who may offer a much cheaper path to resolution for you); and/or

2) I'd tell the service manager at your initial dealership that they need to get the BMW field engineer involved. The field engineer will inspect your car and will properly diagnose your issue.

I'd also suggest calling BMWNA at some point. They will, in all likelihood, try to dodge any responsibility for the issue by telling you that most dealers are "independently owned and operated" and thus they can't help you. What you need to do is ask for an appointment with the BMWNA regional manager and tell him or her that you would like to meet with him and the GM at your dealership to discuss their handling of your issue.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Active Steering Malfunction