E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

I would order it every time!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='282005' date='May 13 2006, 02:52 PM
No I wouldn't order it again and I didn't order it again. I much prefer the standard setup. At speed the std setup is perfect. I found with my AS the car wandered at speed and the steering felt vague. Maybe its better now on the later models. The M5 I drove didn't have it which tells me something.
Well, as I understood it the M5 *does* have variable ratio steering - the ratio varies according to how far the wheel is from center and as the wheel is turned the ratio changes and increases the effective steering angle (the level of power assistance also varies based on speed). Now, you might not want to call that active steering (and nor might BMW's marketing department ). But it does seem that in concept - other than the M5's variable steering ratio being tied to wheel angle rather than being primarily speed dependent - the two really aren't a million miles apart.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i - ordered in January delivered April 21st! Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple.

yes - you don't realize how nice it is until you get a rental car. last week when I jumped in the X3 and made my first turn I almost ran into a sl600 in the sales lot.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='283346' date='May 16 2006, 11:48 PM
Well, as I understood it the M5 *does* have variable ratio steering - the ratio varies according to how far the wheel is from center and as the wheel is turned the ratio changes and increases the effective steering angle (the level of power assistance also varies based on speed). Now, you might not want to call that active steering (and nor might BMW's marketing department ). But it does seem that in concept - other than the M5's variable steering ratio being tied to wheel angle rather than being primarily speed dependent - the two really aren't a million miles apart.
I didn't think the M5 had any form of variable ratio? Only variable power assistance...

However, evidence to the contrary would be very interesting!
Old 05-17-2006, 06:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by colejl' post='283524' date='May 17 2006, 12:54 AM
I didn't think the M5 had any form of variable ratio? Only variable power assistance...

However, evidence to the contrary would be very interesting!
Here's one article from edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109147) which discusses the steering and mentions the variable ratio, I found others yesterday and if I get time might be able add a few to this post.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i alpine white/beige, sport package, nav, premium sound, cold weather

I would. After having it for 2 years and then driving a 750 without it I noticed the difference.

Go for it.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Without question. Active steering makes the car really dynamic and easy to drive. I have also had a couple of situations where AS has helped to control the car after a rapid steering action on an icy road.

Greetings from Finland
Old 05-19-2006, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='283607' date='May 17 2006, 03:01 PM
Here's one article from edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109147) which discusses the steering and mentions the variable ratio, I found others yesterday and if I get time might be able add a few to this post.
Ok, I think this is referring to the steering rack itself. The gearing at the centre is different to the gearing off-centre... Whilst the ratio would be 'variable' it's not at all like Active Steering...

As you know AS is speed sensitive and also has additional stability functions.

Check this link: Variable-Ratio Steering
Old 05-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by colejl' post='284794' date='May 19 2006, 08:47 AM
Ok, I think this is referring to the steering rack itself. I think it's possible for the gearing at the centre to be different to the gearing off-centre... Whilst the ratio would be 'variable' it's not at all like Active Steering...

As you know AS is speed sensitive and also has additional stability functions.
I realize that, but the M5 system effectively replicates the AS low speed experience (quicker ratio) but at all speeds - that was my my primary point. It is definitely not a million miles away in concept. Primary feature of AS is variable ratio steering, the M5 has a different means to a similar end. Remove the speed dependency in AS and enable the quicker ratios at all times and what do you have?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='284798' date='May 19 2006, 04:52 PM
I realize that, but the M5 system effectively replicates the AS low speed experience (quicker ratio) but at all speeds - that was my my primary point. It is definitely not a million miles away in concept. Primary feature of AS is variable ratio steering, the M5 has a different means to a similar end. Remove the speed dependency in AS and enable the quicker ratios at all times and what do you have?
Well yes and no... Active steering varies the ratio from about 10:1 to 20:1 depending on the speed.

I would be guessing but the range of variation on the M5 would be far narrower than that - perhaps 14:1 to 16:1?

I think the main 'beef' that people have with Active Steering is that it has an electronic factor, even though it is a physical link. The M5 is purely mechanical and arguably 'purer'.

Not a million miles, but still quite different I feel.

Quick Reply: Active Steering