E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

active roll stabilization?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 06:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Sep 14 2005, 06:28 AM
Ok guys, If Dynamic Drive is that good on twisties, then why is it not available on the M5?
[snapback]170395[/snapback]
The M5 has electronic damping control--details here:
http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/M/M5S...ightDetail.htm
Old 09-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 14 2005, 04:48 AM
[quote name='jochet' date='Sep 13 2005, 08:09 PM'][quote name='delirium' date='Sep 12 2005, 02:03 AM']is the ARS system worth it alone to order the sport package?? What happens if you add aftermarket lowering springs?? Will the ARS still work?
[snapback]169609[/snapback]

Without sport package the E60 is just another pretty face, ARS is amazing once you experience the handling of this car, you won't be able own anything else.
Good luck
[snapback]170195[/snapback]
[/quote]
I ordered my car with M pack. The supension is the most hardcore out of them all. ARS as u call it as far as i know is the same thing with dynamic drive. right?
[snapback]170335[/snapback]
[/quote]

.90g on the skidpad is enough cornering grip for me in a sedan of this size. This was what Car and Driver measured on its 530i Sport. The ride is nice too. (US sport package 530i with 18" 123 style and Dunlop RFT)

It's also important to reiterate - because it's often glossed over... Dynamic Drive improves the self-steering characteristics of the car, making them optimal for any given situation. What this means is that it takes less steering angle to produce any given lateral acceleration. I think there is a document that is floating around here that goes into detail regarding this.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 14 2005, 04:48 AM
[quote name='jochet' date='Sep 13 2005, 08:09 PM'][quote name='delirium' date='Sep 12 2005, 02:03 AM']is the ARS system worth it alone to order the sport package?? What happens if you add aftermarket lowering springs?? Will the ARS still work?

Without sport package the E60 is just another pretty face, ARS is amazing once you experience the handling of this car, you won't be able own anything else.
Good luck
[/quote]
I ordered my car with M pack. The supension is the most hardcore out of them all. ARS as u call it as far as i know is the same thing with dynamic drive. right?
[/quote]

M package? What is that? Do we have that in the USA?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by delirium' date='Sep 14 2005, 02:20 PM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 14 2005, 04:48 AM'][quote name='jochet' date='Sep 13 2005, 08:09 PM'][quote name='delirium' date='Sep 12 2005, 02:03 AM']is the ARS system worth it alone to order the sport package?? What happens if you add aftermarket lowering springs?? Will the ARS still work?

Good luck
[/quote]
[/quote]

M package? What is that? Do we have that in the USA?
[snapback]170562[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, we don't. It's the body kit, the 19" wheels, a special steering wheel, and a taut, no-gizmo suspension. Do I remember correctly that a recent announcement stated that soon (or maybe by now already) the M-tech suspension will have more M5 pieces than it used to?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='Sep 14 2005, 09:46 AM
[quote name='Shebs' date='Sep 14 2005, 06:28 AM']Ok guys, If Dynamic Drive is that good on twisties, then why is it not available on the M5?
[snapback]170431[/snapback]
[/quote]
EDC has nothing to do with DD or ARS as u call it. EDC controls the shock absorbers. If DD would be the sportiest it would have been standard on the M5. Yes the M5 has a specific designed suspension acopanied by EDC. DD is more about comfort and less about feel and sportiness imo.
That's why here in Europe we can't have M pack (wich includes M supension and lowered by 1,5 cm) and DD. "There is no need for DD when u want the most hardcore supension out there" bmw told me.

I for one would be very interested to see the differences between M suspension and the M5 suspenion (details). On friday i'll test the M5 and then can post a compare between the 2 especially in the ride chapter.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by delirium' date='Sep 12 2005, 02:03 AM
is the ARS system worth it alone to order the sport package?? What happens if you add aftermarket lowering springs?? Will the ARS still work?
ARS keeps the car VERY flat in the corners let alone for a car of this size and weight. It makes the car corner like it is much smaller and lighter. Thank goodness for the large sticky tires. The only downside to ARS is that until you learn the characteristics of your tires, "the limit" will kick you in the a$$ if you are not paying attention (read: practiced a lot) - that's when the oversteer correction of the Active Steering comes in to play... Uh, not that I've ever experienced it... I, uh.. just heard about it, I mean read about it in a magazine... yeah, that's it!
Old 09-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Members

any plans to offer the M package in the US in the near future for the E60?
Old 09-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 14 2005, 01:54 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Sep 14 2005, 09:46 AM'][quote name='Shebs' date='Sep 14 2005, 06:28 AM']Ok guys, If Dynamic Drive is that good on twisties, then why is it not available on the M5?
[snapback]170431[/snapback]
[/quote]
EDC has nothing to do with DD or ARS as u call it. EDC controls the shock absorbers. If DD would be the sportiest it would have been standard on the M5. Yes the M5 has a specific designed suspension acopanied by EDC. DD is more about comfort and less about feel and sportiness imo.
[snapback]170593[/snapback]
[/quote]

EDC is another method of allowing for comfortable driving on straights, and sporty handling on curves--here's a quote from the site I referenced above:

Electronic Damping Control (EDC) automatically adjusts the shock absorber settings to meet changes in vehicle speed, load, or road and driving conditions.The driver selects either "Sport" or "Comfort" from the iDrive "Settings" menu. EDC then modifies the shock absorbers to any degree, from the softest to the firmest setting.The result is exceptional riding comfort and fluid, responsive handling at all times. For example, the "Sport" setting increases firmness under all conditions for a sportier driving feel. With the "Comfort" setting,when sensors detect smooth roads, the shock absorbers are kept "soft" for optimum riding comfort. When the vehicle is rounding a sharp corner or curve, the shock absorbers are automatically and instantly adjusted to a firmer level.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Sep 14 2005, 05:47 PM
The only downside to ARS is that until you learn the characteristics of your tires, "the limit" will kick you in the a$$ if you are not paying attention (read: practiced a lot) - that's when the oversteer correction of the Active Steering comes in to play... Uh, not that I've ever experienced it... I, uh.. just heard about it, I mean read about it in a magazine... yeah, that's it!
[snapback]170698[/snapback]
Yeah...that's the ticket...!!
Old 09-15-2005, 04:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Sep 14 2005, 07:47 PM
[quote name='delirium' date='Sep 12 2005, 02:03 AM']is the ARS system worth it alone to order the sport package?? What happens if you add aftermarket lowering springs?? Will the ARS still work?
ARS keeps the car VERY flat in the corners let alone for a car of this size and weight. It makes the car corner like it is much smaller and lighter. Thank goodness for the large sticky tires. The only downside to ARS is that until you learn the characteristics of your tires, "the limit" will kick you in the a$$ if you are not paying attention (read: practiced a lot) - that's when the oversteer correction of the Active Steering comes in to play... Uh, not that I've ever experienced it... I, uh.. just heard about it, I mean read about it in a magazine... yeah, that's it!
[snapback]170698[/snapback]
[/quote]
So in the end ARS makes out big herous out of ordinary drivers. Come on...ppl...talking about feel and response?!?! When u talk about feel you talk about your own input and work, now that's a good driver, not some computer programe that detects "oversteer correction of the Active Steering comes in to play". Maybe in the future we bmw will offer us the voice command: "power slide 10 meters". And the computer does it. WOW!
Imo DD is more about comfort and it uses active stabilisers on the axle to prevent the car from rollin...like active anti roll bars (the process). EDC uses the shock abosorbers similar to the Volvo S60R model (comfort, sport, advanced).

Quick Reply: active roll stabilization?