E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AC Whirring Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

So I'm in my car at the light and I hear this high-low pitch alternating whining noise that is coming straight from the engine compartment. I turn the AC off to get a better feel for it and the sound goes away... Turn it back on, and there's the noise again

It's fairly imperceptible and you can't hear it on movement - the sound is definitely from the AC because of the relation with the controls. It's a humming type of noise, alternating high and low pitch (like a rotary washing machine may make).

Anyone heard of this before? Is it a belt or a fan or something????
Old 04-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i CPO bought in Jan 2009

Old post, but I have a similar issue

I think I have a similar noise. It goes away when I turn off the AC (fan still on). I brought it to the attention of my SA, but they could not replicate so I still have it. I'm wondering if it might be a bearing issue on the AC compressor.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Old 04-17-2010, 04:15 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525d

I have a similar noise. It's very intermittent, it pitches high and low, and it goes away with the AC turned off.

It actually comes from a black box under the bonnet (although it's very audible from inside the car), the noise seems to be it pumping water through a pipe which eventually goes to the EGR thermostat. It happens even with the engine off if the AC is turned on, which makes it easy to find the offending component. It is intermittent though, and I'm not sure exactly what brings it into action.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by subarashi
So I'm in my car at the light and I hear this high-low pitch alternating whining noise that is coming straight from the engine compartment. I turn the AC off to get a better feel for it and the sound goes away... Turn it back on, and there's the noise again

It's fairly imperceptible and you can't hear it on movement - the sound is definitely from the AC because of the relation with the controls. It's a humming type of noise, alternating high and low pitch (like a rotary washing machine may make).

Anyone heard of this before? Is it a belt or a fan or something????

Yes, mine does it as well. exactly as youve described. Not sure of there is a defect but definately common in these cars....crazy isnt it...my 15k maxima did not do this but my 69k bmw does!!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i CPO bought in Jan 2009

Originally Posted by nsudac
I have a similar noise. It's very intermittent, it pitches high and low, and it goes away with the AC turned off.

It actually comes from a black box under the bonnet (although it's very audible from inside the car), the noise seems to be it pumping water through a pipe which eventually goes to the EGR thermostat. It happens even with the engine off if the AC is turned on, which makes it easy to find the offending component. It is intermittent though, and I'm not sure exactly what brings it into action.
Some good info..thanks. I'll try some more troubleshooting this weekend.

My POS mustang had less noises and rattles then my 550....but I still like the 550 better!
Old 04-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Members

Hi,

It's probably the electric aux water pump. This is hung off the body with a rubber mount mid way down the right hand side of the engine bay. There is an improved mount available which cures, or at least reduces the noise. I jammed some foam between the rubber mount and the body which helped until my dealer changed the mount under warranty. noise is now gone.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:25 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525d

Originally Posted by dieseltouring
Hi,

It's probably the electric aux water pump. This is hung off the body with a rubber mount mid way down the right hand side of the engine bay. There is an improved mount available which cures, or at least reduces the noise. I jammed some foam between the rubber mount and the body which helped until my dealer changed the mount under warranty. noise is now gone.
Yup, that's what it is on mine. Wonder how easy it is to do a DIY replacement of the mount?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Members

Hi, I have similar noise I guess. Is your sound dependent to engine revs? I have annoying noise which goes completely away when AC turned off and the noise is dependent on engine speed. I'm expecting the sound coming from the compressor, but found this post and got interested.

Did you fix the problem and was the water pump. Is the pump on the left side of the car...found a pump over there. Sound is very annoying in slow speeds....while driving in a city with traffic lights and so on. This sound does not start immediately when engine started....after 2-5minutes the sound starts.

Car: E61 530da 2005