E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AC issues......is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep have similiar problems to what people are experiencing here. Offcourse I could never duplicate the problem when going to the dealers. My air conditioning acts up quite sporadically. Sometimes will take about 10 minutes before all of sudden the air becomes cold. A few times driving in middle of long trip, the AC would only blow hot outside air. Not the best time to lose your AC when outside temperature is about 110 degrees in a desert.

And lately, in addition the "max" button doesn't even work. Well the fan goes to max when i hit the defrost button.

So is it a sensor?
Or AC compressor?
Maybe both?

One thing for sure, it is not a software issue....had progman updated 3-4 times already since I noticed the problem.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RootKit' post='592126' date='May 30 2008, 11:57 PM
Yep have similiar problems to what people are experiencing here. Offcourse I could never duplicate the problem when going to the dealers. My air conditioning acts up quite sporadically. Sometimes will take about 10 minutes before all of sudden the air becomes cold. A few times driving in middle of long trip, the AC would only blow hot outside air. Not the best time to lose your AC when outside temperature is about 110 degrees in a desert.

And lately, in addition the "max" button doesn't even work. Well the fan goes to max when i hit the defrost button.

So is it a sensor?
Or AC compressor?
Maybe both?

One thing for sure, it is not a software issue....had progman updated 3-4 times already since I noticed the problem.
If "Defrost" generates maximum blower function while "Max" does not this is indicative of power management preventing the blower motor from functioning due to a low battery charge state. "Defrost" overrides power management as being able to see out the windshield is considered a safety imperative.

A delay of cooling of 2 minutes after 8 hours or so of no use can be normal.

A delay of cooling of 10 minutes can be indicative of an AC compressor problem, see SI B64 10 07.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Contributors

5 Rakete,
Thanks for the info....especially about the safety power management.

So I probably have two problems?
a) Low battery (shouldn't the car be displaying low battery warning first?)
b) AC compressor

Originally Posted by 5 Rakete' post='592139' date='May 31 2008, 12:28 AM
If "Defrost" generates maximum blower function while "Max" does not this is indicative of power management preventing the blower motor from functioning due to a low battery charge state. "Defrost" overrides power management as being able to see out the windshield is considered a safety imperative.

A delay of cooling of 2 minutes after 8 hours or so of no use can be normal.

A delay of cooling of 10 minutes can be indicative of an AC compressor problem, see SI B64 10 07.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RootKit' post='592156' date='May 31 2008, 12:59 AM
5 Rakete,
Thanks for the info....especially about the safety power management.

So I probably have two problems?
a) Low battery (shouldn't the car be displaying low battery warning first?)
b) AC compressor
I've seen examples of power management doing its thing with no message displayed. I'm probably wrong but I think the only time there is a message displayed is if the car thinks there is an active power drain when the car should have otherwise been asleep. Power management is there to try an ensure the battery gets charged by allowing it to receive the amps generated by the alternator.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 5 Rakete' post='592217' date='May 31 2008, 08:19 AM
I've seen examples of power management doing its thing with no message displayed. I'm probably wrong but I think the only time there is a message displayed is if the car thinks there is an active power drain when the car should have otherwise been asleep. Power management is there to try an ensure the battery gets charged by allowing it to receive the amps generated by the alternator.
Anyone have access to a copy of SI B64 10 07?
Old 05-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Contributors

SI_B_64_10_07.pdf
Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='592234' date='May 31 2008, 07:11 AM
Anyone have access to a copy of SI B64 10 07?
Attached...
Old 06-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio
Smile

ok ........today no cold air at all on the way to the grocery store, again max button did nothing, lowering the temp did nothing. On the way back cool air at a minimal fan speed. As I pulled in my driveway it starts blowing hard, fast, and cold.
This is not looking like a good summer approaching........................
Old 06-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Contributors

Car was picked up today by the dealership. Will keep you folks posted
Old 06-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='593786' date='Jun 2 2008, 03:04 PM
Car was picked up today by the dealership. Will keep you folks posted
Delaership could not duplicate problem @ 10 am this morning. I asked them to park it outside in the heat and let it sit for a few hours. They duplicated the problem....hoooray!!!!
They are contacting BMW to see what they need to replace to fix the problem.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='594857' date='Jun 3 2008, 06:47 PM
Delaership could not duplicate problem @ 10 am this morning. I asked them to park it outside in the heat and let it sit for a few hours. They duplicated the problem....hoooray!!!!
They are contacting BMW to see what they need to replace to fix the problem.
They are replacing the blower motor and blower resistor. Keep your fingers crossed.
Should be able to pick it up Friday evening.
Martin

Quick Reply: AC issues......is this normal?