E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AC issues......is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525ia, Olivin green, active steering, sunroof, bi-xenons, power assist, bluetooth phone system, Professional stereo with navigation, sprint booster, Goodyear F1 235/40x18 for in town drives, 16's for country roads

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='590268' date='May 28 2008, 04:36 PM
Anyone else have this problem? I called the dealership and she said she would check with the service tech. TSB?
Hi, the a/c of my 2004 525 would not blow cold after starting the engine. An intermittent problem that would not occur at the dealer. It would take between 5 to 15 minutes to start then work perfectly. Noticeably it occurs only after the first start of the day.
The dealer finally found that it was the a/c compressor, which was changed by BMW under their goodwill consideration. No more problem since.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='590107' date='May 28 2008, 09:11 PM
Did it get to the point that it was a continous problem for you or did it remain intermittent?
thanks,
Martin

In the beginning the problem was on and off, then the AC didn't react to anything.

But I must say, the car was never too hot or cold even when broken, but any
changes to temp or fan speed was not possible to do.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='590843' date='May 29 2008, 11:17 AM
In the beginning the problem was on and off, then the AC didn't react to anything.

But I must say, the car was never too hot or cold even when broken, but any
changes to temp or fan speed was not possible to do.
Told the dealership about this problem 2 weeks ago when the car was there for service. They said they could not duplicate. I called day before yesterday and told them it did it again and the SA said she would talk woth a service tech and call me back. She did not.Called yesterday to ask what she found out. She said there was no TSB and apparently the tech was near by and said that all the max button does is put it on recirculate. I can put it on recirculate myself and there is no great difference in fan speed. But after the car has been running for 5 minute or so with the max button on (it is blowing cold air at this time) the fan will turn to hurrican force. The dealership is an hour away. As long as it is cooling I will hold out to when when the brake fluid change is do.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Members

Same problem here, intermittenly, A\C doesn't work for about 5 minutes .
Tried turning A\C on and off, adjusted temp, and fan speed with no affect.

This seems to be linked to the A\C compressor as the engine has been running
rough at idle and goes away as soon as the A\C is switched off everytime.

S\A couldn't reproduce my issue either but the next time it happens it's going in
for sure. You can't wait 5 minutes in the South Florida summer for the air
to kick on without sweating out your shirt.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='589549' date='May 27 2008, 07:13 PM
Today made the 3rd time that my car did not respond to hitting the "max" ac button, lowering the temp, or increasing the fan speed manually. When it was in the shop last week the dealership could not duplicate. The problem is intermittent. It did respond to increase in temperature ( heat came on when I raised the temp as high as it would go).
Put it backon 70 and within a few minutes it worked as it should.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it typical. Does the car need to think abot what I want for a few mintes before it responds.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations' post='591605' date='May 30 2008, 10:40 AM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
email: m.sharpe@cableone.net
Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by dbusiness' post='591584' date='May 30 2008, 11:10 AM
Same problem here, intermittenly, A\C doesn't work for about 5 minutes .
Tried turning A\C on and off, adjusted temp, and fan speed with no affect.

This seems to be linked to the A\C compressor as the engine has been running
rough at idle and goes away as soon as the A\C is switched off everytime.

S\A couldn't reproduce my issue either but the next time it happens it's going in
for sure. You can't wait 5 minutes in the South Florida summer for the air
to kick on without sweating out your shirt.
+1 I noticed it a few weeks ago when I started the car (it was sitting outside in the heat) and the A/C started to blow hot air, and it didn't start to cool until ~ 5 min. into the drive....I could't reproduce the problem but it happend to my wife a few days ago. I haven't taken it in because I know it will be a wasted trip, because the problem is so intermittent. I will soon though just to get the problem on record just in case they try to give me crap later.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='591612' date='May 30 2008, 11:57 AM
email: m.sharpe@cableone.net
cell: 228-219-9830
You may want to use the PM next time......don't want prank calls from the inmates.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='591615' date='May 30 2008, 11:04 AM
You may want to use the PM next time......don't want prank calls from the inmates.
Good idea. However, BMW NA however has pm ability shut off.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i|Black Sapphire|Black Dakota Leather|Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|Adaptive Xenons|

Interesting! I'm experiencing the same problem in my recently purchased 2005 530i. After the car sits in the sun for awhile and it's warm. I get in the car turn on temp(s) to lowest setting and MAX it blows hot/warm air for about 8 minutes before the air is cooled. (It really is about 8 mins. since I used the stopwatch function in idrive to time it after I noticed it happening.) Anyhow, I took it in for that and some other things...sure enough the day I take it in it was a balmy 45 degrees so they couldn't duplicate the problem...so...no fix, but my SA told me it's documented and be sure to bring it back if and when it does it again. Later that same day...SA calls me up...a tech backed my car into a pole, so now it's getting bodywork done.

Quick Reply: AC issues......is this normal?