E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Coil Spring Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all...after smellingfunny moldy smell coming out of my 2004 525i AC vents... especially with fanonly function!! I decided enough is enough!! I headed for the dealer and wasgiven an education about AC System a big story about removing parts of dashboard, AC coil, filters, liquids, recharge and air pressure etc. Although, I complainedbefore of bad smell, and my pollen filter was changed last winter, the quotecame out to nearly $600 mostly labor (which a little too much for a springcleaning).

After using dealer diagramof AC System, I decided to dive in and clean my AC System. So, I went home anddid some soul searching...Haaa haaa!! Wallet searching too!!! And then decidedto do it on my own...my own way!!!

So instead of the Dealer recommended Dash Surgery...I gave my car an Enema !!! Inmy thinking all this money would be spent just on labor to gain access to mycoil and fan. Right ? So I thought in human medicine endoscopy has become aless invasive action than a full blown Surgery. With that thought I proceededto gain access to my AC coil and fan through a less invasive procedure and theaid of AC System diagram as an X-Ray replacement!!!

I bought a plastic tube(regular clear one) from O'Reilly AutoParts ,and Lysol anti bacteria/fungus spray. With AC OFF, on air circulation mode, lubedthe tube (lightly), stuffed it down the main air vent in dash board (deep asfar as it goes). Sprayed excessive amounts of Lysol into rubber tube to get tocoil (You will hear crackling-Soda like fizz that means its working).

Repeat the procedurefor in all vents of your dash. Furthermore, put AC on outside air mode (to openoutside air duct) and cut power with flaps open, remove pollen filters, stufftube down the intake air ducts (as far as you can go) and spray Lysol into thetube to gain more access to your coil.

Leave the AC OFF forabout 30 minutes or more (the more the better)? Turn on AC on MAX and the smellis all gone and blowing really cold. Total bill, $7.00 Parts, and some thinkingand elbow grease.

Sorry guys for myEnglish, and lack of technical words?but patient woke up with all vital signsnormal and ready to go back to work immediately

Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

bump here, but i did the lysol through the external intake thing and it works for a little while.
i read elsewhere on the internet where others used 'scrubbing bubble' bathroom cleaner, since it has enzymes in it. i'm going to give that a shot.
i wish there was an easy way of getting to the coil...
Old 09-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting..I did also do the external intake for my Wife's X5 and the it only worked for a little while...smells like gym socks..LOL. I will try this method this weekend and see how it works.