E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the mileage on your cars that are experiencing this problem. Is there a common mileage average where the jerking starts or is it just random? I don't have this problem, but if there is a mileage beacon I need to look out for that would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Members

Mine is at 40K miles right now.

Well, I got it back from the dealer on Friday afternoon. He said to see how it works out and bring it back if it starts again. They have it documented now that they reset it. Drove it over the weekend and it is shifting as smooth as silk, like it should be. I had tried the 25 second hold the gas pedal trick a few months ago. It seemed like the shift points had changed but it was still a bit jerky.

Maybe they did something different, but whatever they did definitely worked. Hopefully it stays like that. It is really a joy to drive again.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kendog6
Mine is at 40K miles right now.

Well, I got it back from the dealer on Friday afternoon. He said to see how it works out and bring it back if it starts again. They have it documented now that they reset it. Drove it over the weekend and it is shifting as smooth as silk, like it should be. I had tried the 25 second hold the gas pedal trick a few months ago. It seemed like the shift points had changed but it was still a bit jerky.

Maybe they did something different, but whatever they did definitely worked. Hopefully it stays like that. It is really a joy to drive again.

would like to know what they did!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Members

Yup Me too. I would love to know how the dealer did the reset. I tried the 25 sec hack and seemed like it worked for a while but then it starts to lag again.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

Hopefully I will be able to provide some insight on this, as I took my car in Monday to have the transmission jerk and engine check light addressed. Hopefully I will get her back by Thursday.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by kendog6
What does the service invoice say under the section about the transmission complaint? Usually from what's entered there you can decode what was done (ie. transmission reset vs. full software update for trans module, etc.)
Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Wpg550
What does the service invoice say under the section about the transmission complaint? Usually from what's entered there you can decode what was done (ie. transmission reset vs. full software update for trans module, etc.)
I think it just said "transmission reset".
Old 04-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

So I got my car back today from BMW of Manhattan, and they said my car shifts fine, what a Joke! They replaced the gear selector lever, which they claim was faulty and contributing to the transmissions jerks and lunges. They know the issue with these cars and they fail to accurately diagnose and rectify the problem. I'm at 46K right now, so I'm pretty sure they want my warranty to run out, then tell me the real issue of the transmission....
Old 04-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M

Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren-Werke
So I got my car back today from BMW of Manhattan, and they said my car shifts fine, what a Joke! They replaced the gear selector lever, which they claim was faulty and contributing to the transmissions jerks and lunges. They know the issue with these cars and they fail to accurately diagnose and rectify the problem. I'm at 46K right now, so I'm pretty sure they want my warranty to run out, then tell me the real issue of the transmission....
I am at the 46k mark as well, and too am worried as I had the same exact problem being described in this thread. I took the car out to JMK BMW in Springfield, NJ who just updated the software/flashed the transmission to re-adapt. They did this at 45k, for the 1000 miles I have driven transmission feels completely different. I am still worried as my warranty is about to be over come June.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Turtle
I am at the 46k mark as well, and too am worried as I had the same exact problem being described in this thread. I took the car out to JMK BMW in Springfield, NJ who just updated the software/flashed the transmission to re-adapt. They did this at 45k, for the 1000 miles I have driven transmission feels completely different. I am still worried as my warranty is about to be over come June.
At least you got a reflash, BMW of Manhattan just kept saying my car drives fine. I will be bringing this issue up again with another dealer. I'm going to bite the bullet and take the extended warranty, as this issue could be problematic out of warranty. I don't need the additional headache, and now I see why more people lease BMW opposed to buying them...

Quick Reply: 550i Transmission Issue