E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i On Track at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

i wish we can do this....!!!!

http://video.kenblockracing.com/flash/smal...&autoplay=0
Old 11-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

My camera mount is out of production but a friend just bought a similar one. I'll dig up the info from him.

Here is another video, from the 3rd session Saturday. It's the whole run except for the warm up and cool down laps and the speedo can be seen. Because of brake fade the previous session I start slow but then speed up, re-passing cars. I hit 130+ on several laps and hit low 2:30s lap times. Because of running behind a slower car I do let some fast cars pass but stay with them until brake fade on the last lap. Watch the late entry into turn 1 and going way wide in turn 4.

Here are some pics of my car and other BMWs.
550i On Track at VIR-nk3_0319s.jpg
550i On Track at VIR-nk3_0150s.jpg
550i On Track at VIR-nk3_0593s.jpg550i On Track at VIR-nk3_0677s.jpg
550i On Track at VIR-nk3_0701s.jpg550i On Track at VIR-nk3_0703s.jpg
Old 11-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Hey Richard,

How do you like Remus exhaust? I'm considering between Remus and Dinan but could not find a good audio clip. I like the sound a bit more sporty but not obnoxious.

If anyone has good experience with both, please chime in. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 PM
DTD
Senior Members

My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.

Richard in North Caralina! Where you driving the entire 3.27 mile course? Did you get on her on the straight aways? How come those two or maybe three cars got out in front? More exprienced drivers? Sounds like you got a car that can hang with the one car... the Covette. Could not tell what the other two cars were. The 1st and the 3rd ones. (the one folowing the Vette) I bet if you go back again your time(s) will even get beter. You have probably driven more than me with the 5 Bimmer. How long do you think it would take to learn how to drift in the turns? What was the guy doing who did 2:17 / laps?
PS: I bet you've seen alot of Nascar. Thanks Rich.... Very Cool man. Dan

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='733635' date='Nov 28 2008, 02:54 PM
I took my 550i to VIR for a Carolinas PCA HPDE. It was my second time at the track with the car. It did quite well except for some brake fade. A lot of that was caused by a sloppy session on Saturday. By Sunday I was running well with no fade until like the last lap of hard sessions. I did a best lap of 2:30 and hit 137 mph in the back straight, both better than last year. Here is a video: 550i at VIR Two friends also went, one with an e46 M3, and one with an e92 M3. Both were in the beginner group but did well. The e92 M3 got down to 2:35 laps. His instructor in an e36 M3 with a few mods was hitting 2:17 laps.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Richard, is the second upload the same car or a different one? Looks like a different dash, maybe just different light, but I thought you might have been running a friends car in that session. I see the 137mph on the speedo, nice work. Does that lap time suggest an average of around 85mph?

Cal
Old 11-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='734850' date='Nov 30 2008, 11:05 AM
Richard, is the second upload the same car or a different one? Looks like a different dash, maybe just different light, but I thought you might have been running a friends car in that session. I see the 137mph on the speedo, nice work. Does that lap time suggest an average of around 85mph?

Cal
Same car, just a different camera angle. Here is a link to my friends headrest mount that he likes: Camera Mount
EDIT: Here is that camera mount in an E92 M3 tearing up the beginner group: http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=fsUTpWBvomk Besides the fast car, he already has a better line than other beginners.

I guess my average speed is closer to 80 mph. For those familiar with VIR, it was the full course, the whole outside loop. Here is a map but it doesn't show the elevation changes (uphill 7-9, down & up between 10 & 11, uphill on the back straight, and steep downhill between 15-17.
550i On Track at VIR-track_map.jpg

One thing learned very quickly on track, its not just about HP. Great balanced handling and skill play a bigger role. I was as fast as a beginner in a $190k Porsche GT2 but a veteran in a track prepped 240hp M3 would run away from me. I felt I did well for a first time solo driver and matched the speed and skills of many in my group, but not all. The key (to speed) is learning EVERYTHING the car is capable of, having absolute smoothness, understanding a cars balance at the limits, maintaining max speed throughout corners, getting an early application of power at corner exit, and nailing the braking points, corner entry, and apex at EVERY corner. I have a ways to go to master all of that. Experts can then vary the racing line as needed, and where drifts, etc are used (when needed to kick the car around a corner). Drifting may look great but its seldom the fastest way around a corner, but balancing the back end around a corner is often needed and the fastest way around. For example, in turn 1 a small drift is needed but it can screw you up in turn 4.

To improve my times, I need more experience. Plus the car can use track pads and track specific tires to be able to push it harder lap after lap. After that, I need a dedicated track car, to strip it and equip with cage, racing seats, and harness, etc.

Bottom line: A weekend at the track is great fun and a great way to improve your skills and learn what you and your car can do.
Once hooked on HPDEs (and wanting to get 10/10s out of the car) is when you should get a dedicated track car to avoid concerns with your expensive daily driver.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

That looks like an absolute blast! What kind of requirements do you have to meet to take your car out on the track? Obviously you need a helmet and you probably have to attend some kind of training course, but what else?
Old 11-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ENstig8or' post='734940' date='Nov 30 2008, 01:35 PM
That looks like an absolute blast! What kind of requirements do you have to meet to take your car out on the track? Obviously you need a helmet and you probably have to attend some kind of training course, but what else?
Just the helmet and to get the car "tech inspected" by a good mechanic (any performance shop, indy BMW mechanic, or even dealers do it). They go over belts, hoses, brake condition, etc. Some recommend brake mods and maybe even suspension mods before your first event but BMWs do OK for beginners right off the showroom floor.

Car club HPDEs use instructors for beginner groups. They are usually experienced guys with lots of track time and the ability to explain what to do. There may also be classroom sessions. My friends got 3 hours in class over the weekend. Then the drivers are divided into groups based on experience. PCA puts beginners and a 2nd group with some experience with instructors. Then there are solo drivers, advanced drivers, and the instructors themselves. Passing is in restricted places, more places for advanced groups but still always on straights, and always with a point by (so you know they know you are passing). Cars that don't allow passing are flagged to tell them to let you around. Conversely agressive driving and too many spins or off-tracks are dis-allowed. Everybody gets 3 1/2 hour sessions per day. Some do 4-5 20 minute sessions. That is plenty of wear on the car and you for a day. Most HPDEs run 2 days but sometimes advanced groups can do a 3rd.

Look for BMWCCA events in your area. PCA and Audi clubs are also usually open to all makes. They'll have all the rules and requirements listed when you sign up. Most HPDE specific groups (trackquest, NASA, SCCA) are for advanced drivers only.

I also suggest reading your insurance policy closely. More are dropping coverage for any closed track event, not just timed events or racing. There are umbrella insurance options from some Ins companies for adding coverage but I haven't looked into them yet.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='734871' date='Nov 30 2008, 08:48 AM
Here is a link to my friends headrest mount that he likes: Camera Mount
Thanks. Might order one of these.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

The clubs here in the PNW also require completion of the "Car Control Clinic" before you spend a day on the track with the instructor in an HPDS. Cost is minimal, and knowledge gained is high plus it's a lot of fun for a first track-related experience. At least the BMWCCA's event was that I went to last year.

Cal

Quick Reply: 550i On Track at VIR