E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i Step transmission weird behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='227178' date='Jan 20 2006, 06:11 PM
After reading the description of the 6-speed transmission I printed out from BMW TIS, one sentence stuck in my mind. The sentence is this:

"THE DRIVER-TYPE ADAPTATION IS RESTARTED EACH TIME THE VEHICLE PULLS AWAY FROM A STANDSTILL."

I now have just over 1,100 miles on my car since new. Most of these miles have been put on in a fairly conservative manner. When trying to replicate the UPSHIFT, or the jolt, as I slow gradually to a stop without brakes, I am repeatedly coming to a standstill and doing the same gradual speed reduction down to a stop again. This is apparently influencing the transmission mapping each time I restart from a standstill.

This afternoon I tried to drive a bit more normally, a bit more agressively, but not radically so, and I felt the jolt shift at slow speed near a stop only once or twice. Once was as I approached a Stop sign at the top of a steep hill.

I could see from the MPG needle that an upshift does appear to occur nearing a stop with my foot off the brake, because the needle will quickly swing toward, or to, the 12 MPG mark and then back to the Maximum MPG mark on the left. The upshift apparently happens when the transmission senses that the car has passed from an overrunnig mode, car moving faster than the engine speed at zero position on the accelerator, to the point where the engine speed must be increased to maintain car speed (now reduced). Applying the brakes suppresses this upshift to allow for engine braking to be used.

The more rapid acceleration from a dead stop I thought I was feeling I think now is a matter of getting used to the drive-by-wire accelerator.

When I take my car in to the dealer on Monday, as scheduled, I think I will have them deal only with the rough idle at cold start. This is dealt with by upgrading to CIP 20. This other quirk - the jolt - may be a function of driving style/transmission mapping. Apparently this issue, if there is one, has yet to be addressed with a software upgrade. Until I have a better feel for under what circumstances it occurs, I would rather they do not mess with it.
e60VTA, your statements are quite confusing. Upshift, by BMW definition is moving from a higher gear to a lower gear (e.g., 4 to 3 to 2 . . .). What is happening with Osama's steptronic is that when coasting to a stop (no braking), the step shifts from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 then a sudden back to 3 and then down to 2 and then 1. Hence, Osama described a sudden drop in RPM (not MPG) to 1000 (when the step shifts to 3 momentarily) despite the cars decreasing speed. In that instance, there is no engine braking.

Normally, the step goes 5,4, 3, 2, and 1 as the car decreases speed. All the while, the RPM should also slowly decrease but not to 1000 rpm until it is down to below 15-20 mph (2nd or 1st gear). See my description above. You can feel engine brake at every lower gear.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='227263
After reading the description of the 6-speed transmission I printed out from BMW TIS, one sentence stuck in my mind. The sentence is this:

"THE DRIVER-TYPE ADAPTATION IS RESTARTED EACH TIME THE VEHICLE PULLS AWAY FROM A STANDSTILL."

I now have just over 1,100 miles on my car since new. Most of these miles have been put on in a fairly conservative manner. When trying to replicate the UPSHIFT, or the jolt, as I slow gradually to a stop without brakes, I am repeatedly coming to a standstill and doing the same gradual speed reduction down to a stop again. This is apparently influencing the transmission mapping each time I restart from a standstill.

This afternoon I tried to drive a bit more normally, a bit more agressively, but not radically so, and I felt the jolt shift at slow speed near a stop only once or twice. Once was as I approached a Stop sign at the top of a steep hill.

I could see from the MPG needle that an upshift does appear to occur nearing a stop with my foot off the brake, because the needle will quickly swing toward, or to, the 12 MPG mark and then back to the Maximum MPG mark on the left. The upshift apparently happens when the transmission senses that the car has passed from an overrunnig mode, car moving faster than the engine speed at zero position on the accelerator, to the point where the engine speed must be increased to maintain car speed (now reduced). Applying the brakes suppresses this upshift to allow for engine braking to be used.

The more rapid acceleration from a dead stop I thought I was feeling I think now is a matter of getting used to the drive-by-wire accelerator.

When I take my car in to the dealer on Monday, as scheduled, I think I will have them deal only with the rough idle at cold start. This is dealt with by upgrading to CIP 20. This other quirk - the jolt - may be a function of driving style/transmission mapping. Apparently this issue, if there is one, has yet to be addressed with a software upgrade. Until I have a better feel for under what circumstances it occurs, I would rather they do not mess with it.
e60VTA, your statements are quite confusing. Upshift, by BMW definition is moving from a higher gear to a lower gear (e.g., 4 to 3 to 2 . . .). What is happening with Osama's steptronic is that when coasting to a stop (no braking), the step shifts from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 then a sudden back to 3 and then down to 2 and then 1. Hence, Osama described a sudden drop in RPM (not MPG) to 1000 (when the step shifts to 3 momentarily) despite the cars decreasing speed. In that instance, there is no engine braking.

Normally, the step goes 5,4, 3, 2, and 1 as the car decreases speed. All the while, the RPM should also slowly decrease but not to 1000 rpm until it is down to below 15-20 mph (2nd or 1st gear). See my description above. You can feel engine brake at every lower gear.
[/quote]
I was indicating that the transmission must be shifting to a higher gear in order to cause the MPG reading to go to 12 MPG rather than drop to maximum MPG. Clearly, going to a higher gear should also cause the tach needle to drop rather than rise at the same time the MPG needle moves to the right.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

After driving my car more today under more normal driving style, I had not a single episode of a low speed shift jolt while stopping. I think in my case at least, my prior more conservative driving style coupled with the adaptive transimssion mapping was crating the situation I was feeling. I will have the dealer leave the transmission alone until I feel there is a real problem to be addressed. The rough idle at cold start is apparently resolved by installing CIP 20.0.0, so that I will have addressed on Monday.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='227524' date='Jan 21 2006, 11:56 AM
After driving my car more today under more normal driving style, I had not a single episode of a low speed shift jolt while stopping. I think in my case at least, my prior more conservative driving style coupled with the adaptive transimssion mapping was crating the situation I was feeling. I will have the dealer leave the transmission alone until I feel there is a real problem to be addressed. The rough idle at cold start is apparently resolved by installing CIP 20.0.0, so that I will have addressed on Monday.
I just picked up my after service by my dealer. The problems I cited were rough idle at cold start-up and a hard shift when coming to a stop with foot off the brake. Dealer installed CIP V20.01 (sic) to address both problems. I have only driven my car about 12 miles from dealer home again. No sign of hard shift when slowing. Will have to wait to see if cold start rough idle has been resolved. I expect that it has.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Unhappy

I'm curious as to what CIP will be on the March 2006 production E60's?

I'm assuming that the steptronic tranny on the 550i is a reinforced reworked tranny from the 04 to 05 545i's or totally new ones?