E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

550i Sport vs. 535i Sport - took both home for a night

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 525i , Sapphire Black , M Tech Package, Sports Package, 135 M Wheels, HUD, Comfort Seats, Electric Rear Blind, Bluetooth Phone Prep, M Sport Wheel, Bi Xenon, Active Xenon, Active Steering, Comfort Access

TT boys Where i can find? member name?

V8 muscle very good, if i buy can I buy 4800 BMW 550 but tax high $340000 550i in my Country , turbo 535 only $130000
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

"TT" means "Twin Turbo" so tt boys means those of us who drive the 535i or xi, and not the 550i.

Just so you understand, there has been a running discussion on here about the merits of each car. Some favor the 550i and it's V8; others prefer the 535 car and it's twin turboed L6. Both are good cars, and leave the competition in the dust.

The running discussion is mostly good natured and is really a lot of "kidding" or "joking" going on.

If you think the V8 is superior, that's your privledge to think whatever way you wish. Others may not agree. Besides, there are many ways to measure "superior" so the entire discussion gets a bit silly at times.

OK?

Oh, and since you asked, "BS" means "bullshit".
Old 03-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by TX Buzzard' post='539227' date='Mar 3 2008, 03:39 PM
If you go with the 550i Sport, rest assured you will never pull up beside a 535i and think... "I sure wish I would have gotten that 535i instead"

Would be way too embarassing admitting you wasted all that extra money on ego

LOL...I crack myself up ...don't take that personal TX...just showing you the flip side of the story
Old 03-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='539732' date='Mar 4 2008, 04:20 PM
Would be way too embarassing admitting you wasted all that extra money on ego

LOL...I crack myself up ...don't take that personal TX...just showing you the flip side of the story
I love the power the I6 creates, perhaps not quite the power of the V8, but plenty for me and I get 30 mpg/hwy and 22 mpg/around town (medium heavy foot on the gas). The reliability of the I6 is another important factor that shouldn't be overlooked.

I don't wish I got the V8. I'm addicted and obsessed with my car!
Old 03-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 528i Sport/Premium/NAV

Well... since I was the one who started this particular thread last month, I should probably be the one to end it (or can I ????) After all the banter back and forth and a lot of internal back and forth in my own mind, I finally made my decision last week....guys... I'm going with the 535. It was a TOUGH decision for me, but in the end, I knew whichever car I went with, I'd feel good about my decision as soon as I'm handed the keys and can actually touch my new car in person! Also, I'm doing euro delivery, so I'll be picking this up at the new BMW Welt in late May, which I'm really excited about!!! With the exchange rate as bad as it is, thank God I'm able to use my miles and hotel points for this trip.

I did some calculations, and a 550 would cost me about $250 extra per month (payment, gas, insurance), and the recent hike in gas prices hasn't helped at all. The Wards 10 Best engine rankings (BMW's TT inline 6 was one of them), very favorable industry reviews on the 535 and the TT engine, plus the mention of an all new V8 twin turbo on this post just swayed me to the 535. As I mentioned in my original post, it was pretty hard for me to tell these 2 cars apart after taking them home on 2 consecutive nights (demo models from the dealer). They both drove amazingly, and although I LOVE the 550 sport package look, I just couldn't justify the higher price tag. I'll decide whether or not to put the aero kit on my 535 once it finally arrives here in SoCal in mid-late July (God... that seems so far away....) My dealer is trying to work with me on that price.

So here is my new ride:

'08 535i (Platinum gray, cream beige interior)
Sport
Premium
Cold
Nav
Comfort Access
IPOD
Logic 7
Park distance control

I'll post pictures of my BMW Welt delivery experience as soon as I get to Munich in late May. I land around 10am, and my pickup time at BMW Welt is 4pm that same day.

Thanks for all the spirited debate! Keep it up. That's what I love about this forum.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by pulserace2004' post='539741' date='Mar 4 2008, 04:54 PM
So here is my new ride:

Sport
Premium
Cold
Nav
Comfort Access
IPOD
Logic 7
Park distance control
Nice color choice too! Look forward to hearing about your Euro experience and to pictures - IT.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 1996 525 M Sport Silver Grey on Beige

Originally Posted by pulserace2004' post='539741' date='Mar 4 2008, 08:54 PM
Well... since I was the one who started this particular thread last month, I should probably be the one to end it (or can I ????) After all the banter back and forth and a lot of internal back and forth in my own mind, I finally made my decision last week....guys... I'm going with the 535. It was a TOUGH decision for me, but in the end, I knew whichever car I went with, I'd feel good about my decision as soon as I'm handed the keys and can actually touch my new car in person! Also, I'm doing euro delivery, so I'll be picking this up at the new BMW Welt in late May, which I'm really excited about!!! With the exchange rate as bad as it is, thank God I'm able to use my miles and hotel points for this trip.

I did some calculations, and a 550 would cost me about $250 extra per month (payment, gas, insurance), and the recent hike in gas prices hasn't helped at all. The Wards 10 Best engine rankings (BMW's TT inline 6 was one of them), very favorable industry reviews on the 535 and the TT engine, plus the mention of an all new V8 twin turbo on this post just swayed me to the 535. As I mentioned in my original post, it was pretty hard for me to tell these 2 cars apart after taking them home on 2 consecutive nights (demo models from the dealer). They both drove amazingly, and although I LOVE the 550 sport package look, I just couldn't justify the higher price tag. I'll decide whether or not to put the aero kit on my 535 once it finally arrives here in SoCal in mid-late July (God... that seems so far away....) My dealer is trying to work with me on that price.

So here is my new ride:

Sport
Premium
Cold
Nav
Comfort Access
IPOD
Logic 7
Park distance control

I'll post pictures of my BMW Welt delivery experience as soon as I get to Munich in late May. I land around 10am, and my pickup time at BMW Welt is 4pm that same day.

Thanks for all the spirited debate! Keep it up. That's what I love about this forum.

Good choice I am sure you will love the car, all E60's are great.

PS: You guys get shafted on the MSport deal. Here in Australia (and in Europe I imagine) the MSport set up (your 550 version) is an option right accross the E60 range. We have no other 'sport' version. It costs about $4.5k and we get full body kit, MWheels, MSteering wheel, M Door frames, lower firmer M suspension tune, sport seats (if you do not have the comfort seats) and the black roof lining .
Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

Congrats, Pulserace, either one would be super. Now go enjoy it.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Great choice ! We all kid around her a lot ! But the cars are both Superb, as are the rest of them , hell even that M5 car is kinda OK too !!

Congratulations, and keep us posted on the ED .................... no not that !!! I mean Euro Delivery. Rudy is working out the other problem D'oh