E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i Smoke from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:33 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Stock 2004 BMW 525i

Originally Posted by turboawd
not sure if the oil level sensor takes a reading with engine off or on, but for the dipstick, engine off and 99% of oil will be back in pan right away. think how hot oil flows...like water almost. lol
I understand that and that's why I have always taken a 'cold' and then a 'warm' reading of the dipstick. Everyone has their own techniques. I would assume the sensor would take the reading with engine with full pressure.

Just random thoughts .
Old 01-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport, Titanium Silver Metallic on Black, HUD, NAV, BMW Assist, Active Steering

I got my car back and the oil level is reading full right after shutting off the engine.

Now, I have a different problem now. This morning when I started up the engine, it shook and stumbled for 5 - 10 seconds before settling down. I have a had this issue on and off before and i know it common on N62TU but I could never find a definitive answer on the cause. I assumed the issue in my case was with oil getting on ignition coils and had the coil tubes and coils replaced.

Did you guys ever get this issue fixed?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by andrek
I got my car back and the oil level is reading full right after shutting off the engine.

Now, I have a different problem now. This morning when I started up the engine, it shook and stumbled for 5 - 10 seconds before settling down. I have a had this issue on and off before and i know it common on N62TU but I could never find a definitive answer on the cause. I assumed the issue in my case was with oil getting on ignition coils and had the coil tubes and coils replaced.

funny, my car started real rough the other day. i shut it off and restarted it, and then it acted fine. i think it may have happened once before. who knows. just see if it becomes a common issue.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:47 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

My car did this today .. It does it every once in a while , rough start for a couple seconds. Then smooths out and runs fine .It's been doing it for a long time now , hasn't been a major problem,, so I stopped worrying about it .. But it would be nice to figure out what the heck is going on for those couple seconds when it's doing it .
Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport, Titanium Silver Metallic on Black, HUD, NAV, BMW Assist, Active Steering

Its just annoying. I usually had it happen after the car sat in garage for couple of days. I had this happen two days in a row, but this morning it wasn't nearly as bad as yesterday. I have not had this happen at all since the coils, coil tubes and cam shaft position sensors were replaced. On the other hand, Indy changed oil to back to Mobile 1 from Castrol that was there since October. I suspect oil could have somehow got into the coil wells and is interfering with ignition.

It looks like 99% of 550i had this issue from factory and BMW issued multiple software updates to address the problem. I bought the car in 2012 from a BMW dealer who told me the updated the software before shipping me the car. I am going into the stealer to have the passenger sensor mat replaced and will ask them to update it to the latest "Programn" if its out of date.

I have a question. Has anyone used the BavAuto's Six Month Maintenance Kit, with LiquiMoly Jectron and Valve Clean gas additives?
Old 01-23-2015, 08:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: Stock 2004 BMW 525i
Smile

Originally Posted by andrek

I had that happen as well on my '04 E60 525i for a few days and then as quickly as it appeared it disappeared and has not reappeared, I was baffled by it. My car just turned 91K miles and is never abused but then again trying to figure a car is like trying to figure out women (no disrespect to our female members intended ).

Oh I almost forgot too say Happy New Year to all my friends here and thank you for putting up with me.

Last edited by texasmr2; 01-23-2015 at 08:37 AM.