E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i SMG Experience and Audio Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by ACEE' post='268550' date='Apr 13 2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks for sharing. Have you had to get any service done on your transmission? On valet parking, I am thinking this is a big no no for me cause don't know to many people familiar with SMG. How do you you like the drive mode. My wife will drive this car from time to time. Wondering if she will have any issues with it. Thanks again for sharing!
I have never had a problem with my SMG (yet), never had it serviced.

Doing valet parking will probably depend on your area and your general comfort level of letting other ppl drive your car. Here in NY, almost all parking attendents have driven M3 SMGs, the new M5, and even Ferrari F1s transmissions. When I first got my car, I was naturally concerned. However, since then there have only been a handful of times when I had to remind the attendent that he had to be in N to start the car. But only if I'm in a hurry. I leave them alone, they would figure it out anyway. A lot of attendents have also figured out how to put it in auto mode without me even mentioning it. Nowadays whenever I park at a new place, I don't even bother saying anything to the valets anymore and they're fine. I have heard from other ppl that in other major metropolitan areas, such as LA, that all valets are familiar with SMG too there.

By drive mode, do you mean auto mode?
My sister drives the car in auto mode all the time. It hasn't been an issue for her, although I think she probably wishes that the gearchanges were as smooth as an automatic and that the car didn't roll down hills. She does have some prior experience with traditional manual though.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Members

to "simply add speakers", just um,. well lets see, if you have the logic7, find a way to open the doorpanels/get access to the speakers and assess their quality... : 1. are the surrounds good (rubbpr) 2. can you find a manufactuering name? 2. how are the cones constructed....do they feel crappy,

and so on- basically, sometimes, they will make you pay what,,,1600 bux and you get crappy paper-coned WOOFERS? with a 1mm foam surround that will likely distort after about 2 hourse of 75% music

basically my philosophy relies upon schanging the things that affect the sound quality the most (the speakers)

don't think about changing the tweeters because BMW probably installed some harmon/kardon's for you
Old 04-20-2006, 03:40 AM
Senior Members

Probably you'll have to live with the decision of not upgrading the standard stereo when you ordered the car.