E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

550i recall - CPO Surprise

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my 550i to the dealer this morning, and was pleasantly surprised to learn that the car was covered by CPO!

This is a little piece of information which was not disclosed at purchase. I had picked up the car under 50K miles (now over 60K), and have been investigating aftermarket warranties since its purchase. I even contacted BMW to inquire about the ability to place the car under CPO, never thinking to ask if it was already in place.

This new knowledge is a nice little Christmas present!

Ill post an update regarding the recall work sometime after I receive the vehicle. As for now, I'm stuck with a 128i... Its quite a change from the 550, but not unbearable (beats the wife's minivan).

Merry Christmas to you all....

R.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rkoenig
Took my 550i to the dealer this morning, and was pleasantly surprised to learn that the car was covered by CPO!

This is a little piece of information which was not disclosed at purchase. I had picked up the car under 50K miles (now over 60K), and have been investigating aftermarket warranties since its purchase. I even contacted BMW to inquire about the ability to place the car under CPO, never thinking to ask if it was already in place.
This new knowledge is a nice little Christmas present!

Ill post an update regarding the recall work sometime after I receive the vehicle. As for now, I'm stuck with a 128i... Its quite a change from the 550, but not unbearable (beats the wife's minivan).
Merry Christmas to you all....
R.
Surprises are nice - especially the pleasant ones. I'm surprised that more purchasers of used cars don't dig in the VIN (regardless of the car company) before purchase. I know CarFax advertises the crap out of their product but car manufacturers compile a whole lot of data that they really don't "tell" consumers is available.

This time it worked out for you - BTW ... you should also check to see with your dealer SA and ask if the extended maintenance warranty is following your car. You'd be surprised how many new car buyers and leasers had that added to the deal. And, it follows the CAR - NOT the buyer!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Surprises are nice - especially the pleasant ones. I'm surprised that more purchasers of used cars don't dig in the VIN (regardless of the car company) before purchase. I know CarFax advertises the crap out of their product but car manufacturers compile a whole lot of data that they really don't "tell" consumers is available.

This time it worked out for you - BTW ... you should also check to see with your dealer SA and ask if the extended maintenance warranty is following your car. You'd be surprised how many new car buyers and leasers had that added to the deal. And, it follows the CAR - NOT the buyer!
I plan to inquire about the extended maintenance when I return; I had thought about that on the way back, and am glad you reminded me. Prior to purchase, the car cleared its vehicle history through Carfax and AutoCheck. Next time, Ill also add the manufacturer, to the list of places to check.

Cheers..
Old 12-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Members

My Ride: F10 535i: Jet Black, Black Dakota leather, Sport Auto, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Seating, M Sport, Premium, Technology, Rear Sunshades, Auto High Beams, BMW Assist w/enhanced BT and USB.

Originally Posted by rkoenig
I'm stuck with a 128i... Its quite a change from the 550, but not unbearable (beats the wife's minivan).

It always breaks my heart to hear that the poor wife is dumped in a yucky minivan, when the hubby is driving around in a kick-a$$ BMW!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Eloise550i
It always breaks my heart to hear that the poor wife is dumped in a yucky minivan, when the hubby is driving around in a kick-a$$ BMW!!!
It's not really like that. Since we all work @ home, the cars are pretty much generally available for anyone who needs. We all take the BMW, unless we exceed capacity, expect inordinate amounts of dirt or plan to go off-road...

As for the recall service, it was performed as scheduled, and no oil was found contaminating the lines; so only the required parts were replaced.

I had asked them to investigate an oil leak I recently noticed. Turns out the mechatronic sleeve on the transmission needed replacing.

Finally, they performed the yearly state inspection, and washed the car for free.

Thanks to the recall and CPO all was performed for ~$75.00

The PO had not purchased extended maintenance, but it is possibly available, not sure I'll be investigating that or not. Any thoughts on the extended maintenance if its available? (I know search is my friend...and generally, it seems, that its worth it if one can negotiate a reasonable price, and coverage is used for brakes and such.)

R.