E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i Owners: COMMENT HERE

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The power is great, there when you want it. It's not quite broken in yet, just 2300 miles. I got sports pkg w/ M-Tech kit and rear spoiler. I wish I got manual, but wife drives it too sometimes.

Kill? A kid in a 6 speed 350Z didn't think it was a real 550. He tried twice!
Old 04-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by RH550' post='263892' date='Apr 3 2006, 02:28 AM
The power is great, there when you want it. It's not quite broken in yet, just 2300 miles. I got sports pkg w/ M-Tech kit and rear spoiler. I wish I got manual, but wife drives it too sometimes.

Kill? A kid in a 6 speed 350Z didn't think it was a real 550. He tried twice!
A 545i would kill a 350Z, too.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Members

My Ride: carbon black/black dakota, M package with M aero kit, M suspension and 18" 135 M style wheels - steptronic, adaptive bi-xenon, active steering, moonroof, comfort seats, comfort access, nav pro, logic7, CD, HUD, PDC and some ...

Welcome to the E60 world!
You can look up the specs of my 550 in my signature. After a 3 weeks experience with my new car, I ?d make up 3 categories of my options:

1. Options, You can?t do without considering character and style of car, driving, safety and resale value:

steptronic, 18" wheels, bi-xenon, comfort seats, PDC.

2. Options, which make a real improvement, depending on personal requirements and taste:

M aero kit, M suspension, probably 19" non-RFT wheels (no personal experience), active steering, if nav then pro, if sound then logic 7, fold-down rear seats.

3. Options, which are fun when money is no object:

comfort access, HUD, moonroof, M steering wheel.

Only things I would change retrospectively: better leather quality for the interior and alcantara roof liner, and I would try out NightVision before ordering to assess its value for my driving style.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Members

My Ride: carbon black/black dakota, M package with M aero kit, M suspension and 18" 135 M style wheels - steptronic, adaptive bi-xenon, active steering, moonroof, comfort seats, comfort access, nav pro, logic7, CD, HUD, PDC and some ...

Oh, I forgot: I don?t own a 550 "to kill" other cars, moreover I certainly wouldn?t care for a 350Z, a car, which in Germany is called a typical "house-wive ferrari". To avoid such attitudes, my car hasn?t the 550 badge. Gentlemen, start your engines, but keep your composure!
Old 04-03-2006, 07:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

Originally Posted by oyster' post='263909' date='Apr 3 2006, 01:04 AM
Oh, I forgot: I don?t own a 550 "to kill" other cars, moreover I certainly wouldn?t care for a 350Z, a car, which in Germany is called a typical "house-wive ferrari". To avoid such attitudes, my car hasn?t the 550 badge. Gentlemen, start your engines, but keep your composure!

i agree with oyster, youll kill a good may but who cares. its a great touring car that can really move. i got the manual and would have really prefered the auto. the manual is really a different beast, like nothing else. i would really prefer a audi DSG system, im spoiled with my TT.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

All I can tell you the car is just almost perfect, it just needs a few more horses to reach 505hp ..haha no no the car is awesome and the more miles you drive on it it gets even better like wine.. I have almost 9000miles and the cars engine is breaking in nicely..just took a 120 mile trip to naples, florida for the day at the beach, 3 adults, 2 kids and luggage, man the car was flying with no hesitation, satellite radio without any interruptions, sportt seats, sport suspension and the nice engine brrrrr engine noise everytime i needed to pass someone...the drive was comfartble, secure and perfect ...
Taking a trip to Orlando, florida (about 300 miles each way) next weekend to take the kids to Disney and as an excuse to brake the engine a bit more .....
Old 04-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, olivine green, beige interior, SMG, cold weather package, Sport package, Comfort access, Comfort seating, adaptive steering, Navigation

<_< I'm going from Hattiesburg to Atlanta later this week in mine. So far I love it. It has all the options except HUD and M-Aero. I opted for the SMG after driving the M5 and falling in love with it. Manual would be my only other choice. I absolutely would not change a thing. I opted also for comfort seats and comfort access. Both of these are just FINE. I have 2400 miles on it and have not really taken it past 4500 or so RPM, but after having a C36, a 405 hp Z06, a modified 944T and access to ZR-1 I can tell you this thing flies. I bet it turns out 13.5 qtr times. Anyway, I would not have changed a thing. My only disapointment is the two settings on SMG instead of the 18 or so settings for SMG on M5. I would like to have had this fine tune of the shift pattern. Non-sport mode is just a little soft to me. Sport mode is ok for me, but it jerks my now 20wk impregnated wife.
Attached Thumbnails 550i Owners: COMMENT HERE-magee_bmw2.jpg  
Old 04-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by oyster' post='263909' date='Apr 3 2006, 02:04 AM
I don't go looking for anything, nor would I pick on anyone. It actually was my wife who suggested to show him. At the time, the car barely had 1k miles on it.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Alpine White 550i, Auburn Int., AS, CA, SMG, Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Fold Down Rear Seats, HUD, Navi, SIRIUS, M Body Kit

I think you need to get SMG or Manual to get a feel for the power of the car. I absolutely love the SMG, Heads up is cool as hell especially with Nav, Comfort Access is nice too, M aero kit really gives the car a beautiful look... I would say its a must. Sport suspension is great on tight turns it really grips the road you have to just experience it to understand. Satellite Radio is great although the sound quality could be better but overall it has so much content that you cant go wrong with it. I havent really killed anyone yet although I just broke it in and am starting to have a little fun with RPM's getting up to 5-6,000... whewwww its freakin fast when its up there. Im sure you will love the car no matter what option you get... besides it is the Ultimate Driving Machine!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Saudi_545i' post='263904' date='Apr 3 2006, 03:43 AM
A 545i would kill a 350Z, too.
Well, how can you compare 3.5 and 4.4 liter cars? Of course 545/550 will kill 350Z!

Quick Reply: 550i Owners: COMMENT HERE