E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i camber problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 550i non sport. I finally got tired of it riding like a Buick so I installed some Koni adjustable sport shocks. After they were installed, I noticed that the front end fender gap had increased significantly. I thought this was quite odd since I was under the impression that only springs determine the vehicle height. Anyway, I thought maybe that if I ignored it that maybe it would drop back down over time. After 10k miles it never has and the outer edge of both front tires are being being worn and chopped badly. So for some reason the installation of the Konis appear to have pulled the bottom of the wheels inward, which would be a camber adjustment correct? I've taken it to several shops to get an alignment and they all say that the car is perfectly aligned.

How can it perfectly aligned if my front tires are clearly riding exclusively on the outer edge? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Springs don't necessarily dictate height. If the shocks are valved differently it could determine how stiff/soft they are. How are they checking that it's adjusted correctly? Some shops just look up the OE settings and adjust it to those but it might not be correct. I'd find a shop who can handle alignments when the car is lowered. For example, when I call places I ask them "Hey I've lowered my car can you adjust the camber or do you look just look up the OE values and align it that way?"
Old 06-24-2010, 07:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Springs don't necessarily dictate height. If the shocks are valved differently it could determine how stiff/soft they are. How are they checking that it's adjusted correctly? Some shops just look up the OE settings and adjust it to those but it might not be correct. I'd find a shop who can handle alignments when the car is lowered. For example, when I call places I ask them "Hey I've lowered my car can you adjust the camber or do you look just look up the OE values and align it that way?"
Thanks for the response. I think you're right. I dropped it off at the dealer last night and all he said was that all they can do is set it to OE settings. Obviously the OE setting aren't correct for these shocks. I guess I'll have to find a specialty shop to do the custom camber adjustment. Problem is that I'm in St. Louis, MO. There really aren't too many of those around here.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Members

Does anybody have their OE 550i sport shocks and/or springs that they would like to sell?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530 Titanium Silver Sport/Premium PKG OEM Mtech Kit

Camber adjustment is possible for +/- 3 deg on the top stock sport shock mounts if you shave off the alignment ball. Should help on stock height. Sure help with camber a bit and Im lowered on H&R sport!!!